Torn Hip Labrum - advice, recovery and experiences (Read 1147 times)

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Yay!  Seems like everyone is making progress.  Carrying your own beverage/food around the house is amazing!  Haha.

I had my third follow up appt with my surgeon today.  Does anyone else feel like these are just a waste of time?  Maybe it's because I am always at the end of the afternoon and there's a 30 minute delay and my surgeon is rushed and trying to get caught up, but nothing really happens.  They check my ROM, ask if I'm doing okay and having any concerns and that's about it.  All in all I wind up spending 90 minutes at the clinic for a 5 minute appointment.  Anyway, I don't have to come back until August now!  (6 months!!!!)

Running is dumb.

Prince of Fatness

Does anyone else feel like these are just a waste of time?  Maybe it's because I am always at the end of the afternoon and there's a 30 minute delay and my surgeon is rushed and trying to get caught up, but nothing really happens.  They check my ROM, ask if I'm doing okay and having any concerns and that's about it.  All in all I wind up spending 90 minutes at the clinic for a 5 minute appointment.  Anyway, I don't have to come back until August now!  (6 months!!!!)

Yeah seems that way.  The one appt I had did not last long.  Remove stitches.  Ask how I am doing.  He did go over the pictures from the operation with me.  Not much else.

I will have a better answer Tuesday I guess.

Not at it at all. 

Hip Redux

My first check up was sort of like that - went over my images, checked ROM, asked how things were going, etc.  Nothing big.

The good thing is that since PT and the surgeon are in the same office, they scheduled a PT appt right before so I basically hung out in PT until the doctor was ready to see me.  It worked out well since not only was it their usual delay but they got stuck in surgery that morning so they were actually way late.   My next check up is set up the same.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I went for a walk during my lunch hour today and felt the urge to run.  Hopefully my body is ready to catch up to my brain soon.  I've been having running dreams lately too.  I am starting to get impatient, but I know that I need to hold on for a few more weeks.  I know a lot of people start their running program at week 12, which would be Monday for me, but I can wait.  I am just a little tightly wound right now with no good outlet.

I did have some aching I mentioned previously earlier this week, but I can't find any of that now that it's Friday.  I am sure I will be pretty active over this long weekend, so that will be telling.  Gotta try to do some walking in heels too, as I have a wedding to attend tomorrow.  I don't walk well in heels with a good leg, soooooo...haha.

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

Running dreams must be a sign Smile

I'm dealing with some increased aching today.  Not sure if I overdid it in the pool or if it was because I didn't take the AM naproxen until noon or because I drove both last night and this morning... but this is pretty uncomfortable.   Contemplating taking something stronger but I'm not sure.  I iced already and that didn't help.

MTA: I ended up taking a muscle relaxer and things are much better.   I guess I angered something.

dallison

registered pw

When i am at work, i find myself jogging to the phone before it rings more than 2 times. I catch myself doing it knowing that i shouldn't be.

Nothing hurts after but i have another month until my next follow up.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

AshleyShoemaker

This seems like a knowledgeable thread!  And since I can't get to a sport med doc on Memorial Day weekend, I'm going to crowd source my injury...good idea, right?

I've had recurring, but intermittent, left hip flexor pain for a year or two.  Pain manifests when I do hard speed workouts or hill work.  It usually goes away within a couple of days if I aggravate it.  I had a stress reaction in my left foot in the fall, so I didn't run Oct - Dec.  I started up again in Jan, working my way up to 35mpw avg, only easy running.  In April, I got a coach.  We've kept the mileage under 40mpw but added speed and hill work.  Again, after some hard workouts - not all - I will have occasional hip pain, but it goes away with the usual ice/stretch/foam roll routine.

Fast forward to yesterday - went out for 8mi with 10 x 40sec hill repeats.  I was in pain by #2, stretching it out at #5, finally called it at #7.  The different part was that this was pain in the front hip flexor, but radiated down under my "sit bones" and back to the high hamstring/glute area.  I made it through one cool down mile, then had to walk 2mi home.  (UGH, walking is slow!).

It feels better today, but I can't run.  I tried and made it 1/4mi before it started to hurt again.  I also have a popping sensation (but I've had this before and I don't know if it is connected to the pain).  It feels like my IT band is popping over my hip bone - mostly on the left side, but a little in the front too.  All the pain occurs when I lift the leg, swing it side to side etc...during movement.

Torn labrum?  Stress fracture (I pass the hop test, so I doubt this)?  I am totally blowing this out of proportion and it's just a hip flexor strain?  Any anecdotal advice is appreciated before I can get a doc appt... Smile

Hip Redux

There's definitely parts of your story that sound familiar - reappearing even after a prolonged rest, "radiating" pain, pain that comes and goes, popping... but of course, I'm not a doctor. Tongue   Do you have any groin pain?  Are you seeing someone who sees a lot of hip patients?   I saw an ortho but he diagnosed me with adductor tendinopathy (and I might have had that as a secondary issue given the symptoms I was having) and it took 8 months before I was properly diagnosed.

Someone posted this in the FB group and I thought it was helpful in showing how many different ways pain from FAI can manifest (I'll also add this to the first post!):

dallison

registered pw

17.5 mile bike ride....... done. The first 10 were at speed and i averaged about 15 mph on a mountain bike. All feels well so far.

2017 goals:

AshleyShoemaker

Thanks Oski!  The pain is in the groin area during and after running and the popping sensation is in the lateral hip.  It's been two days since the incident and it feels ok at rest....guess I'll be taking a trip to the doc next week to get it checked out.  I just came off a sfx.  I can't be injured again! Maybe I'll take up triathlons instead.  Wink

Hip Redux

Definitely.   If you have groin pain plus that history, it's worth looking in to!  Just be sure you see someone who knows something about FAI/hips, otherwise you could be sent down some other path.

Hip Redux

17.5 mile bike ride....... done. The first 10 were at speed and i averaged about 15 mph on a mountain bike. All feels well so far.

I can't wait until I can ride outside.  Hell, I can't wait until I do anything outside lol

Hip Redux

Mandy - how are you feeling after your busy weekend?

Got some good news today... I'm allowed to ditch one crutch and can go crutchless in the house as long as I feel good.   As soon as I am allowed to drop the final crutch, I will be allowed to go out for a walk!  Can't wait for that.

My ROM is apparently "Wow!" good.  Which isn't too surprising since I do have some amount of hypermobility.   Psoas is still troublesome, but they just keep saying it takes time.

dallison

registered pw

Today was my last day of PT. All degrees of motion are all on except for two which are a degree or two off. Less than one month until my final dr visit.

2017 goals:

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Sorry for going MIA for a few days!

Wow, dallison, they're just getting rid of you already?  I would be nervous about that.  You're only 2 months post-op, right?  My PT said I would be stuck with them until September or so.

I am doing fairly well, I think.  I just had PT on Tuesday, so I am sore all over again (hooray for DOMS).  I did some more impact type stuff like skipping, shuffling, and karaoke (you know, that old drill where you sort of twist your hips and cross your feet back and forth while moving sideways?)  Lots of lunge type exercises too.

I was pretty active over Memorial Day weekend.  I went to a wedding, but didn't think dancing in heels was a good idea, so I just sat for the most part.  Lots of hiking and a bike ride.  So far my longest hike has been 6.7 miles; it made me very tired afterward and I was looking forward to getting back to the car in that last half mile.  I am still getting a little random aching, but nothing terrible.  I do feel like if my house was burning down, I could run out of it, but I don't feel like I am ready to go for a run, if that makes sense.  Also, I've walked 100+ miles so far this month!  Lots of walking.

This weekend I am taking a bit of a road trip, so we'll see how the hip does during an extended car ride.  I'm also hopefully buying myself a new bike!!!  My surgery present to myself. 

Running is dumb.