Diet Question (Read 1280 times)

shubes2

I have a question regarding diet. I have recently began running after a several year layoff. I have noticed that on the day after I run I have been almost insatiably hungry. No matter how much I eat I am still hungry. I feel like I'm undoing some of the good that I had been doing by running with the increased calorie intake. Does anyone have any specific strategies they have used to avoid this problem? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
      If you're trying to lose weight, don't eat any extra. On the other hand, I only ever feel like that after very intense workouts. Maybe backing off the speed and distance a little might help?
      celiacChris

3Days4Cure

shubes2-- Ahh, the million dollar question. We had a long debate on this over at sparkpeople (my weight loss website). The hunger is an issue you will have to contend with. If you are trying to lose weight eating based on that hunger only slows the process down. That being said, I have received a few tips that have helped: 1. Eat more often. I eat 6 100-300 calorie meals a day, ending up at my cycled target calorie zone (I wander between 1200 and 1550 to keep my body guessing and stimulate my metabolism). 2. Eat higher fiber foods. It will help you feel fuller. 3. Plan you food ahead for the day--and don't deviate. 4. Don't forget the value of strength training. As you build more muscle, your body burns more. By burning more, you can eat more. And eating is fun... Beyond that, running is a great way to lose weight, but it poses several challenges. I've read in many places that doing serious training and trying to lose weight are somewhat conflicting goals, but I have had tremendous success. Just to highlight why the hunger is worth it...since August (when W1D1 of C25K completely winded me) I am 35 lbs down with 10 to go. Running works as a weight loss tool. One caveat-- the sport is addicting. I am an addict and I hope to run for the rest of my life. Chris PS-- these are good discussions to check out as well... http://www.runningahead.com/forums/search?keywords=hunger

Chris
        PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

I don't know what your mileage is, or what your calorie intake is/should be, but I recently went to see a nutrionist after making modest progress following weightwatchers. The nutritionist suggested I increase my calorie intake a little overall (1600 per day vs. approx. 1400 following WW), and to carve off some of my mealtime calories so that I can eat more snacks timed around runs. The result is the same modest progress, but without any of the hunger feelings or more importantly, dead legs while running.

A Saucy Wench

I find that if after a long run I honor that effort with food soon, I squelch the hunger sooner. In other words if on a long day I try to "be good" or "eat normally" I am insatiably hungry for days and/or until I break down and EAT and the overall damage for the week is high. Currently I come home from my long runs usually about 10 am, drink some chocolate milk & eat some banana while making a substantial breakfast (eggwhite omelet with lowfat cheese & loads of veggies , bacon, toast or oatmeal & coffee) and then go back to normal, which means lunch ~ noon. I dont feel ravenous again. But that is after a LONG run. But the point is eat more on the DAY you run, you may not struggle so much the other days. You do need to make sure you are eating enough overall and that your food comes from high quality food, not junk. If your mileage is still relatively low, give yourself a couple weeks to adjust before tweaking your diet.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

jeffdonahue

Try a glass of water or two instead of eating. You might be dehydrated. I heard (on "The Biggest Loser" of all places) that the typical person will mistake dehydration for hunger pains and will immediately eat.
                I have a question regarding diet. I have recently began running after a several year layoff. I have noticed that on the day after I run I have been almost insatiably hungry. No matter how much I eat I am still hungry. I feel like I'm undoing some of the good that I had been doing by running with the increased calorie intake. Does anyone have any specific strategies they have used to avoid this problem? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
                If I feel hungry, and I don't think I should be, I do 10 push ups (If I can do them without getting odd looks.) Nine times out of ten I am not hungry after they are done. Don't reward the hunger pains by feeding them! Punish them! Give me 10! Smile
                JakeKnight

Run more. This may sound like a trite answer, but if you're having trouble on your days off - maybe you should consider eliminating the days off altogether. I'm sort of like you - I eat most on off days. But on days I do run, the running generally suppresses my appetite to some degree. Especially if (as was noted above) I make a point of eating right after a run. Run 7 days a week. Just go really easy most of the time. If nothing else, the increased calorie burn might take care of some of the extra intake. Disclaimer: I think "run more" is the answer to every question. It's the "42" of running. But you have to be a little careful with it.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                  -----------------------------

I'm hungry all the time, no matter what. Some of my tricks: drink water, brush your teeth, eat dill pickels, or a can of "soup to go" is only 70 cals, and filling. Oh, and laughing cow cheese wedge/ melba toast! yum!

- Anya

Put a lock on the fridge. True story: I was at a friend's house to celebrate his son's first birthday. Unlike my friend's former house, he had two fridges in the kitchen, one of which had a locking thing on in. I asked my friend if he was on a diet and he just laughed and said something dismissive. He told me later that they put the lock on the fridge when his mother, a recovering alcoholic, lived with them. She was standing in the kitchen when I made unintentionally rude joke. Needless to say, I felt like an ass.

Giants Fan

I find that on my long run days I have no appetite, but am extremely hungry the next day. I guess I sorta figure things balance out overall with the week? I also try to eat healthier foods and stay away from sweets (as much as I can). However, I think sometimes runners who are trying to lose do go too low (depending on your mileage) and then the body goes into starvation mode. I refuse to go to the low end and then feel like crud on my runs, so you might have to experiment to find out which range works best for your body. Good luck! CC

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I find that if after a long run I honor that effort with food soon, I squelch the hunger sooner. In other words if on a long day I try to "be good" or "eat normally" I am insatiably hungry for days and/or until I break down and EAT and the overall damage for the week is high. Currently I come home from my long runs usually about 10 am, drink some chocolate milk & eat some banana while making a substantial breakfast (eggwhite omelet with lowfat cheese & loads of veggies , bacon, toast or oatmeal & coffee) and then go back to normal, which means lunch ~ noon. I dont feel ravenous again. But that is after a LONG run. But the point is eat more on the DAY you run, you may not struggle so much the other days.
                          I have found this to be true, too. The sooner I replenish after my longest run of the week, the less likely I am to want to gnaw my arm off a few hours later. If I wait until I feel really hungry I'm in BIG trouble. I've been drinking a no-sugar-added Carnation Instant Breakfast pack with half a scoop of vanilla whey powder and about 12oz. of milk. I try to drink this within a half hour of walking in the door. Works really well.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

A Saucy Wench

I have found this to be true, too. The sooner I replenish after my longest run of the week, the less likely I am to want to gnaw my arm off a few hours later. If I wait until I feel really hungry I'm in BIG trouble. I've been drinking a no-sugar-added Carnation Instant Breakfast pack with half a scoop of vanilla whey powder and about 12oz. of milk. I try to drink this within a half hour of walking in the door. Works really well.
                            You know...I was saying it was just long runs...but the truth is it really is ALL runs. Just never really thought about the others because the others I run and get back in the door and have breakfast. But its 6:45 am then. Breakfast time. So its normal Smile I just eat MORE on long run days.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

It sounds like you want to do the right thing and watch your meals but you want to eat less until you feel hungry and a little weak and then eat some meals at about 300 calories per meal to get energy back up. You should weight train once a week and relax and put running on back burner. Also, I take a casein shake at bedtime midnight so I don't starve my body when I sleep at night and its the snack I can have everyday that I look forward to; probably better than pizza at night!

Double IPA Please!

I have not really done anything differently. My eating has stayed the same but my mileage increased. For the first 8 months the scale did.not.move. I was not really trying too hard anyway. I got on the scale for shits and giggles last week and just like that 6lbs were gone and have stayed (so no fluke). I'll take it. I'm one of those people it seems that it really does not effect my appetite too terribly much. However, on my off days I do find that I am hungrier than usual. While in a training cycle my appetite seems a bit supressed. Last week I was off due to Wisdom teeth extraction with a good dose of a sinus infection on the side, I noticed by about Saturday/Sunday my appetite was starting to climb. Im back to running again and my appetite is back down. It's just the way my body works.

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)