Hip pain (Read 434 times)

Oh Mighty Wing

Trent you posted this What do you mean by "hip joint"? Where exactly does it hurt? Your hip joint has no nerves, per se. Pain from the hip joint is usually felt elsewhere. So where does it hurt? More importantly, do you like monkeys? on another thread and then never came back to elaborate!! But I have a question about it: I'm gonna give you the whole story: My knees have gaps and a month ago i was stupid and did a 16 mile week and then a 30 mile week. Then I had knee pain. An x-ray and MRI later I'm diagnosed with an instable knee and sent to PT. Did PT was running small distances again (2.5 miles 3x a week), stretching 3x a day with a little strength work, gym 2 leg workouts a week - then I mentioned tiredness in the area right above my knee inside and that my IT band felt tight. Had me do a 1 legged leg press. She moved the chair up so when I got into the seat my legs were literally touching my chest. Had me turn my foot outward and do the press. The foot of the press was on a rotating joint and all my effort to push was coming from my heel... next two days my upper thigh is sore but not painful. So I am back at the office two days later and say you know that made my upper thigh sore. Ok too much weight. But I do it again - once again legs into the chest in order to get in the chair. Mentioned before I did it that my hip felt a little out of place or something, but practically ignored the comment. So I do the press and come home. 4 or so hours later there is pain in my hip - like it desperately needs to crack (yes i realize it's a bad term) so I try the dryer dance which normally works. (squat move hips side to side) Nothing, but that hurts. So I get in bed and I try to get into my normal position. On stomach with leg net out to side - holy cow that hurts bad! but it I can get my leg out to the side and let it rest there it stops hurting and does back to just being a dull soreness. Wake up this morning and almost fall getting out of bed because my hip doesn't want to work. Over the next few hours it loosened up and only hurt when I squat down or bring my knee up and rotate it outward. So I figure well i'll try a run (yes i know i'm not soo smart) very easy see if it hurts or if it's a muscle that will loosen up. Hip felt fine, but knee hurt. The hip and the knee are on the same side and i'm guessing that with my hip whacking out that it made my knee whack out. Not concerned about the knee because I know what that is. But since you say there are no nerves in the hip I am wondering what the pain in from? I can't exactly tell where it is hurts meaning inside, front, outside, back - it's sort of all over. Think it's most likely a stressed muscle? I'm hoping to rest it over the weekend and try a run again on Monday. Thank you for taking the time to read all of this and for answering me back. PS - for anyone wondering about the gap in my knees... no it's not a fixable injury. I have to strengthen the muscles in my legs to help support the instability that I have in my knees. The pain i felt was from friction against the IT band and the bone because my lower leg can move side to side. (or so i was told)