Web Host (Read 646 times)

gimme some sugar, baby

Eric, Sorry this isn't running related, but I was wondering if you had any web hosting recommendations. My web host has seemingly self-destructed and my website has been down for about five consecutive days. As soon as I can contact someone I'm going to transfer to a new domain. Do you have any recommendations for affordable web hosts? Thanks, George
    George: Runner/Law Student
    www.gimme-five.com
    eric :)

George, I find that a lot of the web hosting companies are hit and miss. Even with great service from their customer representatives, it's still a crab shoot. Remember back in February and March, this site was unbearably slow? It's because it's on the same server as many other really busy sites. It also depends on if you have a database backend. Obviously, this site is completely database driven, and so it gets even slower if the database is busy servicing other sites. This site was hosted on www.parcom.net until it got too slow. They have really good customer service. Their prices aren't the cheapest (nothing like $3 a month), but are competitive enough. If I have small site, I would also look into godaddy.com. I know, they're like the Walmart of internet registry, but they are fast and cheap. I know nothing about their service, but if they work like their registry business, then it should be decent. Whatever you decide, be sure that they have a money back guarantee for the first 30 days so that you won't get locked in if you'r unhappy from the start. If you can tell me more about your requirements, I can probably tell you what to look for. Keep me posted and good luck! eric Smile

gimme some sugar, baby

Thanks for the advice. I'm doing a hybrid of some different options. I transferred the domain to godaddy.com, but I'm hosting it via a nameserver change on dreamhost thanks to one of my friends who said they've had great experience with dreamhost. So far so good! Thanks for the advice.
        George: Runner/Law Student
        www.gimme-five.com
        eric :)

George, Good to hear that gimme-five.com is back up again. Could you let me know in a month or two after using dreamhost.com of what you think of it? I need to move my club's homepage to a new hosting company. Do you use PHP/MySQL for your site? eric Smile
          Finbarr

I use phpwebhosting.com. They're $10/month. the customer service is pretty good, I think. I like instant answers. They're not that fast, but I usually hear back from a few minutes to a few hours at most. And if I'm getting really impatient, I'll log another help request. That usually gets their attention. Smile