Knee pain and pressure? (Read 723 times)

I ran my first 10 mile race this morning, and around mile 8, I thought I wasn't going to be able to finish. My knee started to really hurt. It wasn't a sharp pain, more like a lot of pressure, and if I stopped, it felt better. Due to an old knee injury, I wear a brace on my other knee - it's designed for patellofemoral syndrome, but is the type that wraps around my whole knee, with an extra pad under the kneecap. In a moment of desperation, I took the knee brace off of my right knee and put it onto my left, and it got me through the race with no problem. Did I accidentally actually diagnose myself? Runner's knee? And what's the solution? Should I go out and get a different brace? New shoes? Something else? I kind of hate the idea of having to wear two giant knee braces, so I'm wondering if a simple patellar stabilizing brace would be fine. Thanks for any help!

Oh Mighty Wing

It sounds like a possible instability issue. Seems reasonable that if you have it in one you might have it in the other... I say so to a sports med doc. Do you strength train your legs?
        I do some strength training - but most of what I do involves using handweights and doing various forms of squats. It's probably not enough, but it's what I can do without a gym membership. I don't have one since my building has a gym, but I'm kind of horrified by the condition of most of the machines. They're allegedly upgrading though, so maybe that's what I need.

Oh Mighty Wing

l don't USe machine's much because I Want my stabalizing musles to be strong. Try Walking lunges with dumbells, step ups (try not to use your body to lift you). if you have a ball lay on floor with feet on either side of ball. Squeeze ball with feet and lift hips (this is a hard move). you can also sit against a wall. Squats aren't bad, but make sure your Knee's are not coming over your toes. hope this helps!

The Greatest of All Time

See a sports doc. Be safe.
            all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
            sdewan

2010 Goofy Trainee

Definitely see a Sports Medicine Dr. But it sounds possible that you've developed ITBS. When I used to have it I could go 10 or 15 miles without pain, and then all of sudden it would hit me. By wearing a knee brace you could actually stablilize the ITB to prevent it from rubbing against the outside of the knee, and thus relieve the pain. It's just possible that that's what you experienced. Try stretch #9 in this link: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/126.shtml. It should not hurt while performing the stretch, but if you feel pain immediately after the stretch as you are straightening your leg, it is ITBS.

Turn off your mind, relax, and float downstream...