Splits? (Read 631 times)

Hey guys: Is a good thing, a bad thing, an indifferent thing ... if your mile splits get progressively faster? My run today: mile 1: 9:43 mile 2: 9:24 mile 3: 9:13 mile 4: 9:05 mile 5: 9:00 mile 6: 8:52 Should I strive for more consistency? Or just run at the pace that "feels" right? I wasn't trying to go faster with each mile. This is a little slower than I normally run, but I did 4 miles in the sand yesterday, and it's hot today, so that's my excuse reason. Big grin
    2009: BQ?
      Not only is it a good thing, it's what you should be training for. Big grin Great Job. If your training for a long race, Half or Full Marathon, then you would want to have negative splits planned so that you save energy for the 2nd half of the race. I have learned from experience that when I have "unplanned" negative splits, its usually the result of being sore or stiff when I start out. As you run and the blood flow increases, its not unusual to run better as the miles pass by. Good Luck!
      mikeymike

Yeah most of my runs look like that. It's a good thing. Gotta let the engine warm up.

Runners run

It's a good thing. I generally try to train with negative splits for two reasons: 1. Good chance to warm up, always a good thing. 2. I like to train like I like to race, and running negative splits tends to turn into a good finishing time. Getting yourself used to them is very helpful when you try to follow a race plan that calls for it.

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

sheil2009

21:00

Thats so weird...my coaches for both track and xc have always said that negative splits means you weren't working hard enough. Maybe they just dunno what they are talking about Then again, I read about a study (ive mentioned it before) that concluded faster beginning splits, even if there were no negative splits, led to the fastest times and many PRs
            mikeymike

sheil2009, there is a big difference between training and racing, and even between workouts and runs. This was a run. In a race, you would already be warmed up and ready to go full speed from the gun, hopefully. So you would not see nearly as negative a split as this in a well-executed race. Still, in road races longer than 5k, slightly negative splits usually (depending on the course, weather, etc.) will result faster times. Racing the mile on the track or running xc are totally different animals, however.

Runners run

sheil2009

21:00

true...lol sorry, thats probably why, i though she meant a race :P forget what i said!