Road Runner Sports: really shady or just a coincidence and mildly shady? (Read 1353 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Yup...I don't trust banks.  I am starting to think that those folks who stuffed their mattresses with their cash during the Great Depression were onto something...  Banks seem to want us to believe that it's a privilege when they let us have OUR money.

Not saying I trust credit card companies either, but that's another story. Joking

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

And hey, speaking of shady behavior...Does anybody else hate Active.com with a passion? Every time I register for a race I have to be careful not to buy a membership or some bit of garbage they're hawking. I have no idea how those jokers turned into THE place for race registrations. 

Ha - Active.com is a dirty word around here.  Ask the RA veterans.  There are threads on this going back to the very beginnings of RA.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

If a vendor is shady or just sloppy, and their data is leaked/stolen, I'd prefer that it be my CC# vs. my debit card #.

I do like the One time use "Virtual account number" feature that a lot of credit cards offer these days, so these shenanigans cannot happen.

Best Present Ever

In terms of data security and the risk of having your card number stolen and used for fraudulent charges, there is basically no difference between using your debit card at physical point of sale or online.  If you fear using your debit card online then you should just not have a debit card at all.

The problem I've had twice is vendors using my debit card and mistakenly running the charge many times.  Once it was a local produce co-op to whom I was making a payment through their website.  They made a mistake that resulted in charges repeating many, many times  -- it resulted in me paying them something like $1500.  It was all cleared up fairly quickly, but since the problem happened on Saturday, it wasn't cleared up until Monday.  Meanwhile, our account was down all that money.  In my poorer days, that could have been devastating.  As it was, we could transfer money to be sure that automatic charges cleared while we cleaned up the mess.  

The other time was Boston Marathon registration -- I ran into the problem that many did in registering for 2011, where I would get most of the way through the transaction and it would hang.  What I didn't realize until I read it somewhere here is that each time it went through, a hold was placed on my debit card. (I think I had 17 holds in all).    Again, I called the bank and they fixed it right away, but without RA, I'd not have noticed it for a bit.  Probably not until something bounced, since I'm not as vigilant as Mike.  

Neither was fraud and both were easy to fix.  I've since used only my credit card for on-line payments nonetheless.  Not because I'm afraid of fraud, but for fear of errors.  The consequences of overcharging my credit card by thousands are a lot less serious than the consequences of pulling thousands out of my bank account.  

I'm confused (it's my normal state).

I thought RRS's VIP program was free.  I'm in what they refer to as their "VIP2" program.  Are you telling me that they charged me for it?

I recently found RunningWarehouse.com.  In general, I think their prices are lower than RRS's, and their free shipping is UPS 2nd Day, not Fedex Ground (4-5 days).  I only order from RRS now when they run a special that I can't come close to on RW.

"It's hard to dance with a devil on your back, so shake him off, oh wo-oh!" - Florence Welch (Florence + The Machine) - Shake It Out

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

And hey, speaking of shady behavior...Does anybody else hate Active.com with a passion? Every time I register for a race I have to be careful not to buy a membership or some bit of garbage they're hawking. I have no idea how those jokers turned into THE place for race registrations. 

A more reasonable question would be: does anyone NOT hate active.com with a passion?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Yup...I don't trust banks.  I am starting to think that those folks who stuffed their mattresses with their cash during the Great Depression were onto something...  Banks seem to want us to believe that it's a privilege when they let us have OUR money.

Not to get too far off on a tangent, but you should get acquainted with a credit union. We switched to one last year, and I'm absolutely floored at the service they provide -- and with NO maintenance fees, "service" charges, or other crap. Getting ready to refi my car loan there, too.

Sheer size and social marketing clout, I think. 

While I love RunningAhead and am glad that I ended up here, Active's purchase of Coolrunning, and then deploying ActiveSara and Co. to tell us how great active was after ruining everything made me less than happy. I plan to never register for a race through Active.

This is a great place, no doubt about it. I came over from MapMyRun, and I only regret not doing it sooner.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Not to get too far off on a tangent, but you should get acquainted with a credit union. We switched to one last year, and I'm absolutely floored at the service they provide -- and with NO maintenance fees, "service" charges, or other crap. Getting ready to refi my car loan there, too.

Yes.
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

DH still has a CU account from the CU that was connected with his previous employer.  He really likes it.  We've been talking for a long time about ditching our regular bank accounts...I really wish we had done it on Bank Transfer Day.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Feeling the growl again

To feed the tangent...we just closed one of our accounts with a big bank and if I had my way we'd be closing the other.  Nothing to gain there.  We had a walk-in branch accessible with neither, legacy accounts from a former geography.  Our only local big bank is Chase...well...do I really need to go into why I have not gotten around to opening an account there??

Almost all of our business...and ALL of our loans...are through my company CU.  Since we own 15 acres attached to our house we break the mortgage mold, so when we refi'd 3 years ago they were able to keep us and not sell us off.  I just talked to them today....can refi into a 20-yr note out of a 30-yr note with 27 years left on it for $150 more per month at 1.5% lower....they're proactively looking to see if they can keep us there vs selling us off.  They have made a couple missteps but overall have been WAY better than any real bank I've had accounts at and their CS...even after errors....has been WAY better.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I have always felt like the credit union people are on my side rather than being my opponents. On a related note, I haven't changed my checking from WF to our CU because I like the ubiquitous ATMs. Still, the CU has this mutual no-fee agreement that's supposed to cover ATMs all over the country. Anyone have experience with this?
                            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have always felt like the credit union people are on my side rather than being my opponents. On a related note, I haven't changed my checking from WF to our CU because I like the ubiquitous ATMs. Still, the CU has this mutual no-fee agreement that's supposed to cover ATMs all over the country. Anyone have experience with this?

I'm not sure, but hubby is able to use a CU ATM about 5 minutes away...it's not the same CU that his account is with.  I think there are specific CU ATM networks.  There are actually quite a few in reasonably convenient locations for us.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I recently found RunningWarehouse.com.  In general, I think their prices are lower than RRS's, and their free shipping is UPS 2nd Day, not Fedex Ground (4-5 days).  I only order from RRS now when they run a special that I can't come close to on RW.

Not like I feel the need to stick up for RRS, but ... (a) they'll price-match on shoes; (b) they're the only place I know that'll let you run in the shoes for up to 60 days and still return them with no hassle (I've returned shoes to them twice); and (c) at least for me, they've actually compared my order against past purchases and asked me when I was ordering neutral shoes after a history of mostly motion-control and a couple stability models.  I liked that they were trying to make sure I wasn't accidentally screwing up my order.

I don't use them for everything, but they're a solid bet when I'm trying a new-to-me shoe.

(Need I say: I have no financial interest in RRS.)

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau