Good article about marathon pacing and the advantages of starting out slowly (Read 831 times)

I run for Fried Chicken!

That's a great article. I wonder how they came up with that 4.2% and 11% number.

That's a great article. I wonder how they came up with that 4.2% and 11% number.
      Most statistics are made up on the spot. 17% of people know that.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Most statistics are made up on the spot. 17% of people know that.
        Yes, but of those 17%, only 24% of them practice this regularly.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Really interesting read, thanks Bob. I had no idea that it takes an hour for fat metabolism to get warmed up.

Why is it sideways?

Yes, but of those 17%, only 24% of them practice this regularly.
            That's 24.3%, actually.
            Ed4

Barefoot and happy

I'm curious about this whole "warming up your fat-burning metabolism" argument. I've learned to distinguish between paces where I'm burning fat efficiently or not, but I've never noticed any warm-up effect.
              Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
              t_runner

I've learned to distinguish between paces where I'm burning fat efficiently or not, but I've never noticed any warm-up effect.
                How do you distinguish this? Is it off of your heart rate, or a certain "feel" ?
                Ed4

Barefoot and happy

How do you distinguish this? Is it off of your heart rate, or a certain "feel" ?
                  I've learned over time from several clues. Heart rate is definitely a good starting point. But also how you feel overall after several days of running. When I'm running aerobically, I can do it day after day and not get tired or sore. At the end of each run I feel energized, not tired. Appetite is another big clue for me. If I move out of the fat-burning zone and do a run of any significant length, I get wicked hungry.
                  Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
                  t_runner

I've learned over time from several clues. Heart rate is definitely a good starting point. But also how you feel overall after several days of running. When I'm running aerobically, I can do it day after day and not get tired or sore. At the end of each run I feel energized, not tired. Appetite is another big clue for me. If I move out of the fat-burning zone and do a run of any significant length, I get wicked hungry.
                    Very interesting, thanks! I have just started paying attention to heart rate, and keeping it lower has already helped me significantly increase my mileage without pain or exhaustion. I am still just learning, so I don't have the "feel" down yet, I strictly keep myself under 145 BPM... but I am feeling refreshed and energized after all my runs except for my longest run of the week, that I start to feel pretty worn down by the end. I run multiple days in a row, and I still feel refreshed, but after a while, my pace starts to slow down at the same heart rate. Then I take a rest day, and come back, and it seems to be better.

Me and my gang in Breck

Great article! Thanks for sharing that. That is some real good advice.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Neitzsche "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." "Dedication and commitment are what transfer dreams into reality."