2014 New York City Marathon Thread (Read 532 times)

Could the different ferry times you are seeing be linked to the corral and departure time you have? Just an idea.....

For tourism before a marathon, avoid anything that involves standing for long periods, That can kill your legs, and is worse than walking

One of those open-top buses would be a good option. Otherwise, I recommend Ellis Island and the Lower East Side Tenament Museum to friends and family I have visiting.

For training, I am planning to run the course in the next couple of weeks, doing half one weekend, and the other half the following weekend. Just wnat to get an idea of the course and adapt my training accordingly. Unfortunately, impossible to run on the Verrazano (no foot path)

Personal bests (bold = this year): 5K - 23:27 / 5M - 38:42 / 10K - 49:31 (track) / 10M - 1:24:26 / HM - 1:51:17 / M - 3:58:58

Next races: NYC Marathon, Nov 2014 

ymmv

I managed to get into NYC last year for my once in a lifetime lottery deal. I enjoyed it.

I stayed at my MIL's place in 5 Points, downtown.

In the morning, I walked to the ferry terminal. Waited an hour.

Rode the ferry to Staten Island. Waited an hour.

Rode a bus to the staging area at Fort Wadsworth. Waited an hour.

Ran the race.

After the finish, I walked an additional 100 miles to get my poncho (I think the bag drop walk was 200 miles)

Walked west from Central Park until I found a subway, and rode it back downtown.

While waiting to cross a street near my MIL's place, a tourist family saw me and said "You must be freezing!"

Here's what I remember about the race:

The race is on urban streets (of course). I did not notice much difference in the sights and crowd composition along the entire course. I know the neighborhoods are supposed to be wonderfully diverse, but i could not tell the difference by looking at the spectators. There is water every mile, on both sides of the street, and the water stops are nearly 1/2 mile long. It is amazing how soon you get to the next water stop, even at my pace. I can't remember for sure, but there may have even been water at mile 26. There is music on the course, not just here and there, but everywhere. It is really loud, as are the supporting spectators. It made San Francisco look like a ghost town in comparison. The Verrazano-Narrows Bridge (even with the 4 helicopters hovering at bridge deck level) and the Staten Island Ferry had the best views.

If you want some NYC scenery, I would recommend the trail along the Hudson River downtown, Battery Park, running across the Brooklyn Bridge (do that in the morning before the crowds) and the Manhattan Bridge. You get great views and photo ops from both bridges. You could even run a loop including both bridges and then eat in Chinatown or Little Italy afterwards.

Julia1971

After the finish, I walked an additional 100 miles to get my poncho (I think the bag drop walk was 200 miles)

Walked west from Central Park until I found a subway, and rode it back downtown.

While waiting to cross a street near my MIL's place, a tourist family saw me and said "You must be freezing!"

LOL!  It really did feel that long to bag check.  And, it was slightly uphill!

Could the different ferry times you are seeing be linked to the corral and departure time you have? Just an idea.....

I think that's how it's supposed to work, which is why I'm surprised I don't see earlier times.  I put 3:15 as my expected finish which I would think would put me in Wave 1.  But, 7am is fine.  That's the ferry I caught lat year and it was perfect - I had just enough time to hang out at the Fort but not so much that I felt I got there too early.  And, I may even arrive later if I decide not to race it and move to a higher wave/corral.

ETA: As far as things to do, I will probably try to visit some museums this trip.  And, if they're doing the 5K the day before, I'll try to catch that, too.

damoncrate

Hey guys, first time posting on this board.

I'll be running this year, and I'm from Toronto, Canada. looking forward to the crowds, I hear the spectators are unreal. Not to mention the post run meals we're planning. NYC offers a lot of congratulatory spoils after we're done, have fun.

Julia1971

Hey guys, first time posting on this board.

I'll be running this year, and I'm from Toronto, Canada. looking forward to the crowds, I hear the spectators are unreal. Not to mention the post run meals we're planning. NYC offers a lot of congratulatory spoils after we're done, have fun.

Welcome!

Yes, the crowds are absolutely unreal.  It's hard to believe so many people come out to watch a marathon.  I put my name on my shirt and it was awesome hearing so many people cheering me on.

DaBurger

When/how do they assign you to a wave, corral, and start location?

Know thyself.

Nasreddin Hoja

Watch this thread.

Julia1971

When/how do they assign you to a wave, corral, and start location?

It'll be a while.  I think it was October 16th last year.  So, two or three weeks before the race?

And, I think they seed by predicted finish time.  But, I secretly suspect that that's not completely true.  Maybe next year I'll put 2:15 to confirm.  Wink

-- A random question, just for rough planning purposes, (because I have no clue), How much would a taxi ride be from the finish of the race, to Rockefeller center area where my hotel is, in midtown Manhattan?   Just curious on a 'rough' idea of how much those taxis are in NYC?!

--  Or... Subway use... I've never been on it, but if I tuck a credit card in my Ipod holder for the race, I assume that would be sufficient to pay fare?  (or just bring cash?)  I really have no idea/familiarity with the NYC system...

Trying to have a plan on what I am going to do set up prior to the race.  I'll be tired, and ready to get back towards the hotel pretty quick after mile 26 is done... :-)

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

JML

-- A random question, just for rough planning purposes, (because I have no clue), How much would a taxi ride be from the finish of the race, to Rockefeller center area where my hotel is, in midtown Manhattan?   Just curious on a 'rough' idea of how much those taxis are in NYC?!

It may actually be easier to walk/subway given that some of the streets in the immediate are are closed as part of the course.  If you do walk west to catch a taxi, it will likely be around $10-12 bucks.  Be warned that it may be hard to find a taxi after the race.

--  Or... Subway use... I've never been on it, but if I tuck a credit card in my Ipod holder for the race, I assume that would be sufficient to pay fare?  (or just bring cash?)  I really have no idea/familiarity with the NYC system...

This is probably your best bet (and what I used last year to get from the finish back to TriBeCa).  You could walk west after exiting the park and catch the 1 train at 72nd street south and get off at 50th street.  From there, it is only a couple of blocks to Rockefeller center.  You could buy yourself a metrocard before the race to make it easier. 

Trying to have a plan on what I am going to do set up prior to the race.  I'll be tired, and ready to get back towards the hotel pretty quick after mile 26 is done... :-)

Rebuilding my aerobic base....racing next year.....nothing to see here....move along now.

xhristopher

As we get closer to the NYCM I'm increasingly grateful that my entry through the "guaranteed" entry process was rejected. That is all.

Julia1971

We're you in the time qualifier lottery?

I don't think a lot of people realize the only guaranteed time qualifier if at a NYRR race. I forget when they made that change but a lot of people missed it. So, for the marathon, you pretty much have to time qualify at NYCM.

As we get closer to the NYCM I'm increasingly grateful that my entry through the "guaranteed" entry process was rejected. That is all.

Zoe NYC

I would definitely make sure you know a viable public transit route back to your hotel, even if you would prefer to take a taxi. It can be very very hard to find a taxi right after the marathon. Last year, I eventually asked the doorman of a nearby residence to help me get one, and even he had a lot of trouble with it.

On the other hand, there were lots of pedicabs around, which might actually be a viable option for you because you don't have to go too far. I was seriously tempted, but it would have been way too expensive for me.

In any case, I would bring a credit card, cash, and a MetroCard just to keep my options open. You'll probably need a MetroCard to get around the city the day before anyway, and you won't want to be lining up at a fare machine after the marathon.

Julia1971

Hopefully, everyone submitted their transportation and baggage options last week.  I really hate having to decide on baggage this early but with the increased security at so many race last year, I have become more and more minimalist in my approach to races.

Training update from me: I finished Pfitz' endurance phase last week...  I was stopping during a lot of my medium and long runs this past month either due to poor conditioning, heat, or going out too fast.  But in the last week, I've felt like it's starting to come together and I can run 15-16 miles without unnecessary stops.  Paces have been in the 8:05-8:30 range for those runs depending on the course and the heat.  This week also starts the doubles.  (More laundry.  Whoo hoo!)

Unfortunately, I'm having a lot of aches and pains in the calves, ankles, and feet in the last few days.  I've resorted to icing after my runs  I think it's just that I'm having trouble finding shoes I'm happy with - the shoes I liked were changed last year and I've struggled to find something that I'm happy with.  I'm rotating three shoes that are very different (Adidas Energy Boosts, Brooks Pure Flow, and New Balance 890s) and I think it's starting to show now that my mileage is increasing.

Otherwise, it's all about getting out the door in the morning to get my run in and doing the laundry.

13 weeks out!

senatj

Hello all,

I'm finally in after 3 strikes and you're in.  While waiting to get in, I've run two other marathons so hopefully I've learned something by now!

My other marathons were either early fall or late spring, so the weather was a bit warm.  I'm looking forward to cool conditions, but I hate waiting around in the cold before the race!

I'm using Hansons advanced, and I'm finding it challenging, but doable.  It's a decent step up from my previous base mileage of low 30's.  I was also concerned about all the speed work, but so far so good.  This plan talks a lot about accumulated fatigue, and I definitely feel it.

My goal is 3:30, which might be a stretch, but I like to set the bar high (and then fail miserably).  Today is the one off day of the week, so I like Wednesdays.

I'll be staying at the Wall Street Inn, and then taking the 6:45am Ferry over. 

As long as I can stay uninjured, I'm pretty good about following the plan closely.  There is still a lot of training ahead so we'll see how my 47 year old body holds up.