I am a goober that can't figure out pace (Read 939 times)

I must be doing something wrong. More than one person peeking at my log suspects I'm training too fast. So, I did the calculator http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm. The results: Recovery Jogs 11:49 to 12:19 Long Runs 10:49 to 11:49 Easy Runs 10:49 to 11:19 Steady-State Runs 9:46 to 10:04 Tempo Runs 9:22 to 9:46 My estimated actuals: Monday recovery: 9:15 to 9:45 Tuesday tempo/steady state: 8:30 to 8:45 Wed recovery: 9:15 to 9:45 Thurs tempo/steady state: 8:30 to 8:45 Friday: off or a recovery run depending on how I feel: 9:15 to 10:00 Sat or Sun long run: I need to get advice on this. I'm inconsistent. ~ 8:30 to 9:15. but again, I'm tired but still strong at the end. Not wiped out or anything. I'm not sure I'm really doing tempo runs - yeesh, I don't even know what a tempo run really is. I think my tempos are just steady-state. But, I'm running much faster than this. And running at an 11 to 12 minute pace is just too slow for me. At 12:19, I'm walking. This isn't ego or anything. Maybe I need a HRM. I go by my breathing. I could carry on a conversation at an 8:30 to 8:45 pace. Am I going too fast? How the heck do I slow down without making running a labor.

mikeymike

What race result did you use as the basis for the MacMillan calculator?

Runners run

obiebyke

Calculators are just estimates. If you can carry on a conversation, I'd say you're fine. If you want to be extra precise, go ahead and get an HRM. They're fun, and they really help me not go too fast, that's for sure.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

What did you plug into the calculator? It has to be an all-out race effort to give you valid paces. MTA: Damn, Mikey beat me to it again.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

What race result did you use as the basis for the MacMillan calculator?
            Used a race from last year as an estimate. Not in my log. I haven't had any since last year. Just trying to estimate things since I get a lot of comments like, "you may be training too fast". maybe the HRM would help. BTW, love the Ortiz avatar. There is a weekly timed 5k hosted by a local running club I may try out tomorrow night. Costs $2. But it will be a slow time since I ran 6 this morning and I have a hockey game at 10:40 tonight. And, hey Obiebyke - I too am a proud reformed smoker. I'm 40 and would kick my 25-year-old self's ass at anything ;o)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

If you've been running a fair amount, a race from last year may give you paces that are slower than where you're at right now. But it's also probably not worth it to try the race after another run and a hockey game -- you time won't be an accurate reflection of your conditioning. MTA: Okay, so I worked backwards on the McMillan and found that a 27:40 5k (8:54 paces) produces the paces you mentioned. You are routinely running distances longer than 5k at paces faster than 8:54. And I'm assuming that you don't feel like you've just been racing. I'd say keep doing what you're doing if you feel like a) you can carry a conversation while running and b) when you finished, you feel like you could do more w/o difficulty. Still not a bad idea to do some kind of 5k time trial when you're fresh to see where you really stand.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

If you've been running a fair amount, a race from last year may give you paces that are slower than where you're at right now. But it's also probably not worth it to try the race after another run and a hockey game -- you time won't be an accurate reflection of your conditioning. MTA: Okay, so I worked backwards on the McMillan and found that a 27:40 5k (8:54 paces) produces the paces you mentioned. You are routinely running distances longer than 5k at paces faster than 8:54. And I'm assuming that you don't feel like you've just been racing. I'd say keep doing what you're doing if you feel like a) you can carry a conversation while running and b) when you finished, you feel like you could do more w/o difficulty. Still not a bad idea to do some kind of 5k time trial when you're fresh to see where you really stand.
                Excellent, Thank you! and thanks to all. I love this site.