New Here..Question about running paired with weight training (Read 408 times)

Thats rad

If strength increase through weightlifting is your priority (1-8 rep range), as we as being a faster runner, it is possible but difficult. Mass gains and running are even harder to pair, but strength gains and running are reasonable. And the running should only create problems with your legs. You shouldn't have problems with strength/mass in upper body.

Kassiebby1124, there seems to be some really good replies here. When I was in high school and the military, I lifted and ran on the same day, (including squats.) Now, at my age, I would never think about it. Currently, for myself, I am a martial arts instructor, so I run on my non-class days.

What I find is that on running days, I generally do my run first, then I stretch while my legs are still warm, then I do a light martial arts workout, (forms, kicks, and weapons), and a "focused" strength training, related to goals / challanges. For example, I KNOW I have do a massive power break in February which is going to involve upper body and core strength. The same day, I will have to do a flying side kick over multiple obstacles, (people kneeling) and still make a successful board break at the end. This requires jumping height and distance, (as well as flexibility). I do exercises to build these areas. On class nights, I currently don't run, (but I plan to start). I generally teach a couple classes and work out with the students, then afterwards, my master runs me through the mill. His goal is to push me further than my comfort zone, and force me to take my body where I never would on my own. I use the running days to focus on running and do a light workout and on class days, I do martial arts, (and heal from running). As I further build my milage, I intend to start running a short run on class nights.

With my workout, I don't lift weights and I am not concerned with building mass. But, what I have seen is that when I did martial arts training alone, my weight barely changed. I did lose body fat and I definitly toned and got stronger. Once I added running, (especially longer distances), I began to lose weight. I started this year at 247 lbs, and I am now down to 113. Big grin I drag my butt through the combined running / martial art days, but its not in my personality to quit. I will admit that it DOES affect my running performance negatively, but... I run to suplement martial arts, not the other way around, (I'm ducking right now...) For me, the combination works great. If you work at it and don't give up, you will find a combination to get you the results you are looking for. I also feel that goals are important. I set goals for races and I also set martial arts goals. It is these goals, and KNOWING that I will have to perform on given days, that helps me to push through the tough days.

Marylander

Kirkroy are you still lifting heavy now.

No, although I miss it (and my legs seem to be getting skinny... Wink ) so I am planning to try to get back some strength. I have been doing some light deadlifts for a couple months and added squats in just recently.  I was surprised to find that I was still able to squat a couple reps with ~76% of my old 1RM (from 2007) in spite of not doing any heavy squats for several years. We'll see how this works out as I'm also trying to get back to running daily after hardly running at all for the last couple years. I'm either very smart or very dumb to be attempting this at 44 years old. Big grin

Kirkroy

I would say that with your experience/knowledge you are very smart.  you will find the right balance for you, although first few weeks probably will be feeling some overall fatigue.  it will all work out.  probably not a good time to schedule any "goal" races.

Marylander

Thanks, yeah, I'm working on the balance at the moment. I've got a 3+mile per day streak going 17 days now and plan to keep that up indefinitely and am feeling out how much lifting I can handle. I have never done a goal race before. Previously I was running to support my daughter who was running in high school. Getting back to running now is for myself. I'm waiting for someone to come up with a deadlift first and then run kind of race so I have some chance of winning. I will never win on running alone. Wink

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

Thanks, yeah, I'm working on the balance at the moment. I've got a 3+mile per day streak going 17 days now and plan to keep that up indefinitely and am feeling out how much lifting I can handle. I have never done a goal race before. Previously I was running to support my daughter who was running in high school. Getting back to running now is for myself. I'm waiting for someone to come up with a deadlift first and then run kind of race so I have some chance of winning. I will never win on running alone. Wink

There is a run and bench press race!  http://www.arnoldsportsfestival.com/home/sports-and-events/pump-and-run.html

I think there are other variants of that, as well.

BTW recent research suggests that lifting in the 3-5 rep range for pure strength is most beneficial even for distance runners because it develops muscular efficiency and strength.  And not hypertrophy if you aren't eating at a surplus!  (Huge relief to me, as I can't stand high-rep lifts).

As for timing lifting and running, it is easiest for me to lift when my body is warm after a bit of easy running, so what I often do is run 2-2.5 miles, lift, then run 2-2.5 miles at the end.  Then again, I'm currently injured and so maybe this was overdoing it.

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

Sultan of slug

I got really skinny and ripped while running 45-55 miles/week and lifting heavy 2-4x/week.

That said, lifting makes me really hungry all the time, so unless I'm running a ton, I tend to put on weight when I lift a lot (by which I mean fat in addition to muscle). An hour in the gym may burn 500 calories, but for me it stimulates the appetite by even more than that. By contrast, when I'm only running a lot, I certainly eat more food than normal, but it's not enough to make up the entire calorie deficit.

It's really difficult to eat clean enough to maximize muscle gains and lose weight. If your priority is losing weight, then don't worry about muscle - just eating a healthy diet while lifting will make you strong enough and all-around very fit.

Just my experience here; obviously YMMV.

Marylander

There is a run and bench press race!  http://www.arnoldsportsfestival.com/home/sports-and-events/pump-and-run.html

I think there are other variants of that, as well.

Heh, I was just kidding. There would have to be a race open only to people with my social security number for me to have a chance of winning. Smile If I want to do more strength competitions I'll just go back to powerlifting. Actually, it might be cool to do both a marathon (where I wouldn't be competitive) and a powerlifting meet (where I have some chance of being competitive) when I'm 50... I think it would be kind of cool to do both in the same year.

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

Hey, funny--I just found some stuff by a guy who does really well in both distance runner and powerlifting at the same time.  Check it:

http://www.atlargenutrition.com/blog/2012/11/hybrid-athlete-alex-viada-so-you-want-to-run-and-be-strong/

http://www.atlargenutrition.com/blog/2013/01/so-you-want-to-run/

Pretty interesting program he follows there and you can't argue with those results.

Heh, I was just kidding. There would have to be a race open only to people with my social security number for me to have a chance of winning. Smile If I want to do more strength competitions I'll just go back to powerlifting. Actually, it might be cool to do both a marathon (where I wouldn't be competitive) and a powerlifting meet (where I have some chance of being competitive) when I'm 50... I think it would be kind of cool to do both in the same year.

KirkRoy, that is actually a very good goal. I am a full time martial artist and a part time runner. I can't imagine EVER winning a race and I don't see myself ever even winning in my age group. But, I run because I enjoy it. As for martial arts... I have won multiple national championships and one of my students has a world championship. There is nothing that says you can't do both. Big grin

Squats for runners.  Seems to have worked out for her Smile

And  Seb Coe did a lot of squats (along with other lifting), he's still third on the all time 800m list.

Apparently Salazar has all his runners doing quite a bit of lifting... something seems to be working for Mo at the moment.

Everyone nailed it on the head. I lift heavy 5 days a week and run nearly 7 days a week wear I've peaked recently at 65ish miles. I benchmarked my squats, deadlift and bench press 4 months ago and recently tried again and only saw a jump in my dead and everything else stayed the same.

I'd also like to mention that I've been losing weight through the process so it makes it extremely difficulf to put on mass. From my experience, I was able to maintain muscle mass and lose body fat. Also, keep in mind that I track everything I eat and try to keep it clean with a decent protein intake 1g/lb.

Everybody is different, but what I'm taking out of this is the t following; the two don't compliment well. But damnit I sure try hard as hell to make them!

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

Everyone nailed it on the head. I lift heavy 5 days a week and run nearly 7 days a week wear I've peaked recently at 65ish miles. I benchmarked my squats, deadlift and bench press 4 months ago and recently tried again and only saw a jump in my dead and everything else stayed the same.

I'd also like to mention that I've been losing weight through the process so it makes it extremely difficulf to put on mass. From my experience, I was able to maintain muscle mass and lose body fat. Also, keep in mind that I track everything I eat and try to keep it clean with a decent protein intake 1g/lb.

Everybody is different, but what I'm taking out of this is the t following; the two don't compliment well. But damnit I sure try hard as hell to make them!

Ha, I feel you on this.  I can't improve my bench while running mileage--it just never happens for me!  Squats and deadlifts, yes, bench, no.  But i'm not running 65 mpw either.  How do you do that?  What's your schedule like?

Ha, I feel you on this.  I can't improve my bench while running mileage--it just never happens for me!  Squats and deadlifts, yes, bench, no.  But i'm not running 65 mpw either.  How do you do that?  What's your schedule like?

It's a tough balancing act but I seem to make it work.  Right now I work a M-F 9-5 and I am part time in my last semester of my Master's so here is what my schedule looks like.

Monday:  Lunch Time - Chest - Bench, Incline, decline, flies.

Class (6-9), Then Run 6-9miles

Tuesday: Lunch Time - Shoulders - Clean and presses, front raises, lateral raises, reverse pec, shrugs.

After work:  Track workout (VO2 max workout, or tempoish intervals) with 2-4 miles up, 2-4 miles down.

Wednesday: Lunch Time - Back  & Core- Deads, pulldowns or pull ups, seated rows, dumbell rows, face pulls, Core - Leg Raises, Reverse crunches, medicine ball tosses on decline.

After work:  Midweek Long Run typically 10 miles.

Thursday:  Lunch time - Day off from lifting

After work: Tempo Run/Fartlek  2 miles up, 1 down then variable distance.

Friday:        Lunch Time - Bis& Tris + Core

After work:  6-8 miles easy

Saturday:  Morning - Long run 12-15 miles

After run and eating something:  Legs - Squats, Leg Press, Leg Curls, Leg Extensions

Sunday:     Anytime:  5-7 miles easy.

That's the general gist of it.  I move weight lifting days around a little bit sometimes to fit my schedule.  I'll be honest, I've been known to skip my leg day after my run lol.  I just find it hard to fit in anywhere else without my runs suffering.  I also alternate my Long Run between Saturdays and Sundays.  I move them to Saturdays whenever I decide I need a Saturday night to unwind and have a few (or dozen drinks).

Doing all this sucked at first.  But it's been about 8 months now and it's starting to become part of me.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Basic biology; strength training can improve your running speed. It doesn't in any way change or improve the way you run.

You'll be able to push yourself further per stride with increased strength, but the higher vertical lift necessary to do so means your energy consumption will go through the roof in energy cost.

Squats don't do jack squat for helping you run. All it does is wear out your knees with greater efficiency than if you don't do them.

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong