How short a rest between marathons (Read 156 times)

ROD in Miami

We all know the standard one-day-per-mile-of-racing that conventional-wisdom dictates.  By that formula, after running the ING Miami Marathon yesterday (my 11th consecutive running of my home-town marathon), I should not race another for 27 days: end of February or early March.  But 21 days from now (February 17th) is the neighboring Fort Lauderdale A1A Marathon which I've skipped in previous years because of the proximity.

Anyone have practical experience of racing two 26.2 three weeks apart?  Any advice on how to do a compbination recovery and taper?

Rod

Arimathea

Tessa

That standard is a "rule of thumb" that was popularized because it sounded simple and easy. There's no proof to that one.

How hard did you run ING Miami? Did you actually race, as in pushing yourself to the limit, or was it more of a "let's go run 26.2 and have a good time doing it" run?

If you raced it hard, you can do Ft. Lauderdale, but don't push yourself too hard. I'd suggest 10 next weekend and maybe 12 the weekend after.

If you didn't race Miami hard, consider Miami your last long training run before Ft. Lauderdale and taper for that. 15 next weekend, 10 the weekend after.

And bear in mind that there is a fair number of people who do back to backs, as in one full on Saturday and another on Sunday. (Maniacs and 50 staters are particularly known for this.) The key is not going all-out for them. Cover the ground and enjoy the scenery, rather than trying to PR on each course. That's not possible. But completing races close together, possibly with a good time if not a great one depending on weather and other variables, certainly is doable.

Good luck.

No Talent Drips

I'm on board with what Arimathea says...I had a good stretch in the fall of 2011 with 3 in 5 weeks. Raced the first, ran the second, and worked hard the 3rd. Log is open---October to November 2011.

Dei Gratia

spinach

I actually ran my two fastest marathons a week apart and they were probably on the two toughest courses I have run. (They were my 28th and 29th marathons.) So it is possible to run two fast marathons reasonably close together.  If you were in shape for the first one and it didn't leave you totally drained just keep running your normal training the next couple weeks in preparation for the next.  If you were using some training schedule that called for a long run three weeks out from the marathon now just follow that schedule repeating the final three weeks.

xor

My current marathon PR was set 7 days after another marathon.  I have been known to "rest" 22ish hours between marathons.

I recommend 3-4 weeks.  :-)

bhearn

How long between marathons is a function of (1) how hard did you run the first one, and (2) how accustomed are you to quick turnaround between marathons. (2) is highly adaptable. But your first time, three weeks apart will be hard.

Anyway you certainly want to take it very easy this week, then play it by ear. If you get in some reasonable runs next week you won't be losing too much fitness.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I agree with bhearn.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

npaden

I have zero personal experience as I'm training for my first marathon coming up in May, but in the Hanson Marathon Plan book they recommend limiting yourself to 3 marathons every 2 years.  They also recommend (and for their training group it's mandatory) 2 weeks completely off from running after a marathon.

Obviously, many people here don't feel the same way.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

bhearn

They limit their elites to three marathons every two years. I don't think the same rules apply to us. Of course it all depends on what your running goals are. If running the absolute fastest marathon you are capable of is your top priority, maybe that's sensible. But most of us can't put in that kind of dedication anyway.

Weegee

That standard is a "rule of thumb" that was popularized because it sounded simple and easy. There's no proof to that one.

True dat.  The big problem with "rules of thumb" is that everyone has two of them and they point in opposite directions

+1 to what Bhearn and SRLopez said, plus remember that results are highly variable.  Be prepared to adjust day to day during tapercovery.

ROD in Miami

I have zero personal experience as I'm training for my first marathon coming up in May, but in the Hanson Marathon Plan book they recommend limiting yourself to 3 marathons every 2 years.  They also recommend (and for their training group it's mandatory) 2 weeks completely off from running after a marathon.

Obviously, many people here don't feel the same way.

If I were to take "2 weeks completely off from running" I would need to be given some serious psych meds or my wife would divorce me.  Says I get "male PMS" if I don't run two days in a row.

bhearn

If I were to take "2 weeks completely off from running" I would need to be given some serious psych meds or my wife would divorce me.  Says I get "male PMS" if I don't run two days in a row.

+1

RunnerJones

Will Run for Donuts!

They limit their elites to three marathons every two years. I don't think the same rules apply to us.

As I'm reading more and more running advice, I'm finding so much of it seems more aimed at elites than average runners who aren't running 100+ mile weeks or racing at anything close to our full potential.  Regarding your question about two marathons in three weeks, I'd have to say, why not?  In 2012 I ran my first full ever in November, followed it up on a whim with a half four weeks later (which I PR'd by 6 minutes), and started 2013 by doing the Goofy Challenge at Disney (a half on Sat. followed by a full on Sunday).  A number of people questioned doing the Goofy so soon after my first full, but it was easy.  Of course I took it slower (4:26 vs. my prior 3:56), but I felt great at the end, and have experienced no injuries or prolonged soreness since.

As others have said, listen to your body, moderate your intensity, and enjoy your two marathons three weeks apart.

valerienv

Thread killer ..

No great advice,  I wanted to be a Marathon Maniac so I ran two marathons and a half- marathon in two weeks . I don't remember if I ran during the week in between each race.

I've found that when my clients don't have the race they wanted, we can usually find another one 2-3 weeks later and they almost always run faster and often PR.  Around 5 weeks is the max before you really can't just coast along w/easy runs between the races, it seems.

For me personally, the quickest turnaround I've done between marathon 1 and marathon 2 is about 22 hours (one race on Saturday, one on Sunday, the next day.)

Run to Win
                                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)