Rotating Shoes (Read 646 times)

dork.major dork.

So I just retired my (I think) third pair of Brooks Radius 6/7s at 425 miles. I retired them for all the usual reasons of small aches and pains, and some more serious pain in my right hallux (base of big toe). I went to my local running store and tried on a bunch of things and left with a pair of Nike Moto V*. I knew that there would be some adjustment period as my foot adjusted to new shoes. But the arch of my foot has been really tight/sore (never had problems with this before) and I've also been having some pain on the inside of my lower legs. I've put about 30 miles on the new shoes. I thought I would have adjusted... should I give it more time? should I rotate in the old pair of shoes? should I buy a new pair of Brooks Radius and rotate those in? should I ditch the new shoes altogether? Thanks for your thoughts. (Call to a podiatrist also on to-do list for the hallux issue)

Reaching 1,243 in 2008 -- one day, one week, one mile at a time.

Sounds like the shoes might not be the right ones for you. Either that, or you began coming down with an injury and it manifested just as you changed shoes. That's happened to me before. I recommend rotating your shoes anyway (I generally rotate between 3-6 pairs at any given time) and I like having different styles to rotate between. That being said, when I find shoes I like, I buy as many of that model as I can at the time and rotate between those. You might want to pick up some new Brooks Radius shoes.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Renee the dog

I recommend rotating your shoes anyway (I generally rotate between 3-6 pairs at any given time) and I like having different styles to rotate between. That being said, when I find shoes I like, I buy as many of that model as I can at the time and rotate between those.
        Amen!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

VictorN

I agree: you should have at least two pair of shoes and rotate them. The rule about not switching shoes unless you need to is also valid. If you were happy with the Radius, then buy another pair. Then, with your second (or third) active pair, experiment with something new but similar. Victor