2014 Sub-18 5K (Read 544 times)

I'm in for this goal.  I just ran my post-age-35 PR of 18:39 last month, and I'm hoping with some increased mileage this goal is attainable!

Post-age 35 PR's:

5K:  18:39

10K:  ?

1/2 Marathon:  ?

Also, I'm coming off hip surgery last year, so I'm hoping this thing holds up!

5K Progress Chart

Post-age 35 PR's:

5K:  18:39

10K:  ?

1/2 Marathon:  ?

montag

Super Pro Lurker

I just broke 19 by a good amount so I think I will sign up for this as the next logical step Smile. Age: 27 (Until Sept) Been sub-18 before: Nope.

Runner100

-

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

Only way I'm breaking 18 is if I'm on my bike. Good luck to all you speedsters but I've got to wait for the sub 21 or 22 thread.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

captainsaver

Can I join?

PB of 18:55 earlier this year, although last week ran an (awful) 19:40 - thought I was in much better shape than that!

I'll have some interesting training challenges but one of my medium term goals is the sub-18 5Km.

28 currently, 29 in Feb '14.

I'm in - age 33 and never have been under 18:00, although I ran 18:00 and 18:01 earlier in 2013.  Life got in the way the last few months and I've not been getting in much mileage.  Hopefully I can change that over the winter / spring and add in some track time.

In please, 37 yr old M.

Ran 19:01 as an absolute all out effort on December 31st, 2012 and managed to improve that to 18:00 in July 2013.

Unfortunately I still can't quite seem to believe it, recent efforts topping out at 18:29.  Will be marathon training until the end of April so a serious attempt on this will need to wait for about June although will make the odd effort along the way.

Do what you want, just how you like. Nobody has to know.

Sign me up please. It's been a while since participating.

Background: I've raced only one 5k in the past two years -- an 18:45 this past June

Broke 18 a few times between 2008-2011 with 17:37 PR from 2011.

Mileage and racing-wise, I've not done much in 2012-2013. Looking to get back to racing in 2014.

Signed up for an indoor 5k on Feb 1 (a time trial that will gauge fitness) and aiming at a April marathon. Won't be easy, but should be a fun struggle to shoot for sub-18.

MTA: Age 42

In please, 37 yr old M.

Ran 19:01 as an absolute all out effort on December 31st, 2012 and managed to improve that to 18:00 in July 2013.

Unfortunately I still can't quite seem to believe it, recent efforts topping out at 18:29.  Will be marathon training until the end of April so a serious attempt on this will need to wait for about June although will make the odd effort along the way.

Perhaps give it a go the week before (7-8 days) your marathon?

If in peak marathon shape, easy to nab this PR late in the training cycle.

Perhaps give it a go the week before (7-8 days) your marathon?

If in peak marathon shape, easy to nab this PR late in the training cycle.

That's a good idea, might well go for that.

Do what you want, just how you like. Nobody has to know.

Not signed up for anything yet. Looking forward to a sub 18 this year. Got a little early jump last year

alizuk

I'd like to sign up!

I ran 17:31 on the track in 2011 and then an 18:12 that fall on a hilly xc course, but then a series of injuries ended my college career. I've been slowly starting to train again and have a half marathon coming up next month. Eventually I'd like to get to sub-17, but I'm trying to take baby steps haha

austin18

I am in my senior year and just finished my cross country season recently. I consistently hit under 18 minutes most of the season except three times. I first hit it in a dual meet in Sept. 2013 with a time of 17:39.

So yes, I have and I'm 18

kcam

OK.  I have a race coming up Jan 25th.  It's a 5,000 on the track with my club.  I'm certain I won't be running 18 but maybe 18:45 which would be a decent start given my training of the past 5 weeks.