Question about hydration (Read 836 times)

I am done training for my half marathon (yeay) and would like to start training for a full marathon in about one month. I can't get by hanging onto a water bottle anymore and the carrier I have is too bulky. I like the ones that are just a stap and have 2-4 bottles on it placed evenly around the waistband. The two bottle one has 2 10z bottles, so I'm assuming the 4 bottle has 4 10 oz. How much water do I need? I know I could just get the 4 bottle and take two bottles out but its more money. I'm cheap. Smile
    Kate ;) "The pain of regret is greater than the pain of self discipline."
    mbk

A lot of the answer depends on your training environment and personal needs: 1. What will the average temperature be? 2. Will you train mostly in the sunlight? 3. How often will you pass by a place to refill bottles? How often are you willing to stop to do so? I live in Dallas and it gets hot! I like to have two bottles for 10 miles (also, I'm slow so 10 miles can be a long time). If I train at White Rock Lake, which is a 9.3 mile loop, I'll carry two bottles worth of fluid and stop at my car for refueling on every loop. But sometimes I train on a 3.2 mile loop near my house and I'll take one bottle and stop every two loops. Last weekend it was in the 80s and sunny and I did run out of fluid on a couple of these 6.4 mile loops, but it was close enough to my car that it wasn't an issue. The most important issue (in my opinion) is to play it safe. I have a one bottle pack, a two bottle pack, a 45 oz. Camelbak and a 100 oz. Camelbak and I use them all depending on the conditions and the environment. Good luck!
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I LOVE my 35oz. Camelbak (waist-pack model). Though I think this Summer a larger one might be useful. I likely won't do many runs over 2 hours, but if I did I don't think that 35oz. would be enough if it were especially warm. In that event I might use the Camelbak and my hand-held bottle that holds 20oz. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I have the four bottle Fuel Belt. So far I've only used it with two bottles at once (1 water, 1 half water/half gatorade...so far my max run with it is ~8 miles in distance but in Miami where it is hot and humid, I usually just about empty both of them). I thought it was worth the slight extra money to get the 4 because you never know when you will decide to go longer distance or it is really hot and you might want to use them all. One of those "spend now to save later deals" if you know what I mean. Smile How'd your half go??
            Actually it is Saturday. All the long runs have been put in, though. I'll let you know when I'm done! Thank you for asking.
            Kate ;) "The pain of regret is greater than the pain of self discipline."
              I recently went out with my new Camelback waist pack and it would not stay put. It bounced it's lovely way up to my belly and almost gave me a bruise. Fortunately I was with my husnad and he was kind enough to take it off my hands. It stayed in place on him, so I think he'll be inheriting it. Has anyone else had this issue (Zoom-Zoom, any hints on a maybe where to strap it on my waist)? I'm worried that the fuel belt will do the same. Has anyone tried to the Camelback backpack? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I dehydrate pretty fast and I'll need a pack for my long runs as I'm working my way up.
                I've got the waist version of the Camelback like Zoomie. I find that any amount of strap adjustment only gets it "close" to not bouncing around much. But after a couple of sips and a retightening of the smaller straps, it's perfect. So the first mile, I just let it bounce a little, not a real big deal, because my first mile or two is warmup anyway.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

(Zoom-Zoom, any hints on a maybe where to strap it on my waist)?
                  I have a fairly big butt (think JLo...bubble butt) and small waist (thank you, Sir Mix-a-Lot)...I am also fairly long-waisted. I find that the only way to prevent bouncing is to get it really snug and at my natural waist--not low-rise on my hips. It's not as attractive up so high, but it doesn't move around nearly as much. I let the smaller straps be looser, then get the wide waist strap as snug as is comfortably possible. As I empty it I snug up the smaller side straps, just to keep the entire unitl closer to my body. I also use Bodyglide on my lower back. A few of us have found that even when it is snug we will get a little bit of lower back chafing from it. Other than that it works really great once you get it adjusted just right. You can look at my profile picture to get an idea where it sits on my back. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Thanks for the sugestions. I'll give it another a try on my next run. I was trying to wear it on my hips, so perhaps I'll move it on up. Almost everything gets hitched up on my backside Blush , so that may had something to do with it.
                      Will you be running on a track? If so, I would just get one of them insulated water jugs. The benefit of having water supply attached to your body is you do not have to watch out for people tamper with it. Last year, I was running 3 miles when it was hot out (90s and 100s). I'd take 16oz bottle of cold water to the track and it did not seem to be enough. I assume WI is substantially cooler. "Not keeping hydrated can definitely make you loopy" -modal

Vim

I have a 100 oz camelbak that I fill based on how many miles I plan. I read somewhere where ~ 5 oz / mile is about the rate you should drink. The most I have ever ran with was about 60 oz or about 12 miles worth. On runs longer than 12, I plan them around convienience stores where I stop to top off. It took me a few runs to get used to it, but the weight is evenly distributed and the straps are pretty comfortable, so once it is snugged up it works great. I do have to re-snug it up every couple miles, but not a problem knowing I have a ready supply of liquid. I have thought about buying a "water-belt", but I figure what I have works for now.