iPod Help (Read 1067 times)

JakeKnight

Ignore this is if it's too off-topic, but I could use some techie advice, and the odds are you people will be way more helpful than Steve Jobs' minions. Just got a new computer. Both old computers died. Don't use a hammer to fix your computer. That apparently only works in movies. Anyway, so I download iTunes, and then upload from my Nano all the "purchased" songs, right? Worked fine. For a change, I didn't accidentally erase the whole iPod. But I also have several hundred songs on the iPod that were NOT purchased - all from my CDs (and I'm sticking with that story). So I realize that I can't upload those songs to the computer (or can I?). If I can't, no big deal. But obviously I DO want to buy new songs, and download them to the iPod. Without erasing anything that's on it. How do I do it? At the moment, I can't. I can't even manipulate the play lists - basically, it shows the songs actually on the iPod in the gray font; I can't add anything to the iPod, or even move around songs that are on it. It wants me to "sync" the iPod with the iTunes library, but I think if I do that, it'll erase every song on the iPod that wasn't purchased. Right? Wrong? I'm pretty sure. And if I do that, I'll have to spend a whole fricking day pulling songs off my CDs again (and elsewhere ... shhhh). Help! Any clues? Does any of this make sense? Is there a link that's in non-techie English to help me figure it out? Thanks in advance.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
    -----------------------------

Well, I'm sure there is an easier way to do this but one way is to check the "enable disk use" box on the ipod information screen in iTunes (when the ipod is connected) Then, the iPod is like an external disk drive. Assuming you're using a PC, go into My Computer, select the iPod as the drive, set the folder so that hidden files are displayed, and voila, all your music is there and can be moved over to your harddrive, then moved back into iTunes. However, I bet there is a better way to go about this. Smile
        So I realize that I can't upload those songs to the computer (or can I?).
        It's not intended, but with additional programs (some freeware, some shareware) it’s possible. If you use a Mac you could try Senuti (http://www.fadingred.org/senuti/), I’ve seen good reviews but haven’t tried it myself. Go to www.versiontracker.com, there are many programs for Mac and Windows.
        It wants me to "sync" the iPod with the iTunes library, but I think if I do that, it'll erase every song on the iPod that wasn't purchased. Right? Wrong?
        You don’t want to do that, it’ll erase every song on the iPod that's not on your computer.
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You don’t want to do that, it’ll erase every song on the iPod that's not on your computer.
          Yeah, I think shyrunner made that mistake recently when she accidentally wiped-out her iTunes library on her HD. Then when she plugged in her iPod it wiped that clean, as well. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

one way is to check the "enable disk use" box on the ipod information screen in iTunes (when the ipod is connected) Then, the iPod is like an external disk drive. Assuming you're using a PC, go into My Computer, select the iPod as the drive, set the folder so that hidden files are displayed, and voila, all your music is there and can be moved over to your harddrive, then moved back into iTunes.
            I think this is your best bet. Once you copy the songs off the iPod and onto the hard drive, you can import them into your iTunes library. Definitely don't sync until you have done this or you'll have to umm, re-import all of those songs from the CD's you purchased.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

I used Wide Angle Software's Ipod copy when I switched to a new computer. It worked great, and was worth the $20 (it will let you do 40 songs for free, then you have to buy it to transfer anymore).
              Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
              JakeKnight

Another question for you all: First, thanks for the help. I've got the iPod "enabled as disk" and I can now at least move songs around. But I cannot figure out how to "set the folders to so the hidden files are displayed." So I can look on my iPod - but no music. I know it's there somewhere. By the way, I'm on Windows Vista. Any ideas?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I'm on Windows Vista. Any ideas?
                  Yes. Get a modern operating system. Mac OSX comes to mind. Wink
                  JakeKnight

Yes. Get a modern operating system. Mac OSX comes to mind. Wink
                    So is Steve Jobs officially a cult leader or what? Mac people scare me. Any helpful advice from those not yet subsumed by the Apple Borg?

Mac people scare me.
                      You don't have to be afraid of us, seriously, we’re mostly harmless. Wink
                      Any helpful advice from those not yet subsumed by the Apple Borg?
                      No, sorry, I've already been assimilated Wink – about 15 years ago.
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You don't have to be afraid of us, seriously, we’re mostly harmless. Wink No, sorry, I've already been assimilated Wink – about 25 years ago.
                        Heh...that's about when I became an Apple/Mac Borg, too...3rd grade. Took a Visual Basic class in college on PCs and it did nothing but drive me nuts...damned buggy computers crashing every class period. Poor prof. spent more time rebooting machines than actually teaching. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

So is Steve Jobs officially a cult leader or what? Mac people scare me. Any helpful advice from those not yet subsumed by the Apple Borg?
                          I'm unassimilated. I've not used Vista, but if you open a file explorer and do Tools->Folder Options, click the View tab, you will find a check box about 8 or 9 items down called "Show hidden files and folders". Click that and it should get you going. I've heard that the file explorer is the same in Vista, but if it's not, then forget what I said.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Chris UK

Another question for you all: First, thanks for the help. I've got the iPod "enabled as disk" and I can now at least move songs around. But I cannot figure out how to "set the folders to so the hidden files are displayed." So I can look on my iPod - but no music. I know it's there somewhere. By the way, I'm on Windows Vista. Any ideas?
                            Well I now how to do it in XP but that might not apply in Vista so your best bet is to go Start button/Help and Support and type "hidden files" in the Search field at the top. Assuming Vista has Help and Support in that place Roll eyes Let me know if not and I'll give you the destructions for XP. Modified to add - didn't see Bonkin's post before posting this. His is another valid way to set hidden files to on too. Good idea to set back to hidden when finished so that you don't accidentally delete any required System files Wink

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

I have Windows Vista, and I used the software mentioned in my previous post ..ipodcopy...worked like a charm....and worth the $20 to save all the head-scratching. But then again, you might not be as frustrated with Apple as I am. The reason for my frustration? As a family of 4 we collectively own 6 ipods, totalling about $1000 worth of goods. And then the *!*!*!*!* company goes and makes it nearly impssible for simple(computer)-minded plain music freaks like me to manage all our music! Even the stuff we bought from them!!!!! Sorry for the digresssion. Had to vent, and this seemed an appropraitte time and place. Good luck!
                              Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
                              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Landy, I did not understand. What can you not do? Copy music from one device to another? That is not Apple. Rather, that is a restriction placed by the music industry, and Apple has been working hard to soften those restrictions. The Windows hack gets around the restrictions, but is in effect breaking copyright law (not that I am saying that is wrong).