NYC with a 9 year old (Read 146 times)

mikeymike

Better do Central Park on Saturday. Better yet, you can cheer for us as we cross the finish line on Sunday!

Funny thing is I assumed from the subject that this was going to be a "Do you think it's okay if my 9 yo runs the NYC marathon with me?" thread.

Runners run

Take him to Queens so he understands the importance of staying in school.  Big grin

Or I can put him in touch with several friends who grew up in Queens and stayed in school all the way through med school.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

catwhoorg

Labrat

Another idea for an active kid.

Go down to Battery Park, then walk up the Hudson river park/greenway (not sure of the exact name).

It even goes up as far as Intrepid and beyond.

Lots to see off to each side, even a trapeze school.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

jfa

Funny thing is I assumed from the subject that this was going to be a "Do you think it's okay if my 9 yo runs the NYC marathon with me?" thread.

Please Mikey, no jokes about an earthquake in NYC this year. Ok?

drrbradford

Or I can put him in touch with several friends who grew up in Queens and stayed in school all the way through med school.

Pwned.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Lesson of the day: if you have to explain the joke its no longer funny.  You win.  Roll eyes

You people have issues 

Best Present Ever

I'd never run a marathon with my 9 year old because I'm pretty sure he'd beat me.  I know for a true fact, as he would say, that he can beat me at the mile.  He can also beat me over 50 meters at any stroke in the pool.

thanks for the other ideas.  I would love to go watch the marathon.  9 year old son, however, has a bit of traumatic stress reaction to the idea of spectating at a race, and immediately collapses to the ground groaning about HOW BORING OMG SO BORING that is.  I think my husband has dragged him to one too many races.

jfa

I think my husband has dragged him to one too many races.

Husband takes the hit once again.

Sigh.

seeEricaRun

Awesome

1. Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't think Central Park on Saturday will be that bad, at least not compared to your average early summer day. The place is huge, crowds can spread out easily. Unless there is something else going on that day? Even on Marathon day, if you aren't trying to run laps on the drive or stand at the finish line, and strategize your visit a little bit, I don't remember it being that crazy.

3. The piers at Hudson River park can be pretty fun, there are playgrounds, batting cages, mini golf, a driving cage, tennis courts, a pier that is a synthetic lawn, a pier that is a soccer field (probably the same one as the previous though I can't remember), fishing, and kayaking. They used to have a whole pier full of free kids activities that rotated weekly - though I'm not which of these continue through November. http://www.hudsonriverpark.org/

8. I also cast another vote for walking over the Brooklyn Bridge, - one of my favorite activities when I lived there. Over the bridge is Dumbo, home to home to a number of good places to eat: Jacques Torres chocolate store (their chocolate croissants are a killer), Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory, as well as Patsy's, a famous pizza joint. Brooklyn Bridge park is there as well, but I never spent any time there, so I can't speak to it.

3. We also loved to walk to/around Chinatown (mostly we'd get noodle soup for breakfast, and go grocery shopping) - I'd do this early in the day though since it gets to be a mad house. You can go to Chinatown Ice Cream Factory which usually carries some unique flavors.

7. I think he'll enjoy the Statue of Liberty more than he thinks (if it's open by then). It involves a ferry ride and it's wild being inside that big metal statue. Also, there's a park outside.

Best Present Ever

Husband takes the hit once again.

Sigh.

it is certainly not my fault for running all those boring races!  My husband is a saint.  for real.  He once drove 3.5 hours round trip to basically kiss me at one aid station during my first 50k while he was in the middle of prosecuting a murder.  I still smile thinking about it.

Thanks Erica.  Let's hope the gub'mint gets back to work.  Seems like the Battery Park/Statue of Lib combo is a winner.

preciousJohn

spam