Garmin GPS recommendation (Read 1629 times)

There seem to be a lot of these threads, but I'm looking for advice on a Garmin GPS watch for my wife.  When I bought my 205, there were only two options, but  I see that now there are 27 different Forerunner models and am a bit overwhelmed.

Are there certain models I should stay away from (breaks easily, poor accuracy, poor interface, battery dies, etc.)?  What is the difference between the various models?  Really she just wants to be able to record time, distance, and route via GPS.  She doesn't care about heart rate or pedometer features.

an amazing likeness

I think the basic progression of the Garming running products goes something like this...

There are a couple non-GPS running watches, FR60/FR70 which are sort of like the Timex watches.

There are the GPS ones which have buttons: Forerunner 110/210/310xt

There are the GPS ones which have touch bezels: Forerunner 610/410

(I'm sure I've got something out of whack in there...but that's close.)

The models just get more features as you go up each product line.

Sounds like you're in the market for something like the Forerunner 110/210.  Here was an RA thread about them a while ago.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

I'd recommend a 210 if you don't want to spend too much. Very good watch. Has a lot of great features, but are missing a couple from the higher end models. If it's between a 110 and 210, go with the 210 though. It allows the footpod for cadence/treadmill work, as well as time alerts for interval training.

Running my way to being a little less fat.

I got so sick and tired of the bullshit with the 305's and 405's that I got a Motorola Motoactv 8GB...best GPS/HRM I have every owned.  Runningahead even has a file import option for it which is very nice.  I am never going back to Garmin.

The Runner Life

I have had no problems with my 405, and it's over 4 years old.  It keeps a great charge, and has a strong GPS signal.  Now that there are the newer models out, you can get one for much cheaper than they used to be.  I highly recommend it!

kcam

I got so sick and tired of the bullshit with the 305's and 405's that I got a Motorola Motoactv 8GB...best GPS/HRM I have every owned.  Runningahead even has a file import option for it which is very nice.  I am never going back to Garmin.

Oops .... quoted bbeaty's post, meant to quote wanderlush.  Fixed as best I could.

Sounds like a good training aid.  I read DC Rainmakers review and  one thing that's not completely clear that maybe you could clear up since you have one .... he say's that there are no audible alerts and no vibration engine for vibratory alerts.  If you set up and interval session how do you know when the interval is over?  Is there some kind of alert when the current interval ends?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'm curious what problems drove you away from the 305s & 405s, if you don't mind elucidating?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Prince of Fatness

Really she just wants to be able to record time, distance, and route via GPS.

I have the 210.  It does not have a lot of bells and whistles but it does what is quoted here.  I am happy with it.

Not at it at all. 

L Train

I have the 210.  It does not have a lot of bells and whistles but it does what is quoted here.  I am happy with it.

You pretty much just use it in your garden now?

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

[Bold mine.]

I don't think I'd even consider buying a watch that RA didn't support.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I have a Garmin 405 and although I really like the functionality, I would have a hard time recommending it to someone. The touch bezel is the stupidest thing ever. While the idea seems great, the implementation is poor. I have learned to work around all of the issues related to it, but I can definitely understand why some people get very frustrated with it.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Wing

Joggaholic

I have a Garmin 405 and although I really like the functionality, I would have a hard time recommending it to someone. The touch bezel is the stupidest thing ever. While the idea seems great, the implementation is poor. I have learned to work around all of the issues related to it, but I can definitely understand why some people get very frustrated with it.

I have the 405 and similar sentiment. The bezel is not very responsive at the end of a run when my arms and hands are sweaty. It's really just an annoyance more than anything, and the unit does work fine and I'm happy with it overall, but I would recommend picking another similarly priced model without the bezel "feature".

I'll break it down simple for you.

Get the 210 if you want a great functioning watch for under $200. 

Get the 610 if you want an even better watch, but it will run you $350. 

Personally the 610 is not worth the extra $150 unless you HAVE to have vibration alerts and a few other bonus features. 

If you are a triathlete pick up the 910xt, but it will run you $400. 

DCRainmaker (Ray Maker) whom I consider the best GPS reviewer says that for 95% of runners the 210 is the perfect choice. 

Running my way to being a little less fat.

xor

There is one thing that makes the 310xt and 910xt good choices beyond the triathlete stuff... battery life.  It is significantly longer for these units than their others.  If you are an ultrarunner, consider that.  I get 17 solid hours out of my now-ancient 310xt.  It doesn't go poof on me midrace.  Unless we're talking 100, to which I cannot count.

bhearn

Yeah. It goes poof on me midrace! Guess I need to run faster. I got 18 hours at Javelina Jundred, 18 1/2 at Western States. Supposed to be rated for 20.

I wonder if there's some setting (less frequent data points?) that would extend the battery life? But I doubt it; the GPS receiver seems to be the biggest battery drain by far. Turn off GPS, and it lasts days at least.