5k / 10k warm up (Read 122 times)

old woman w/hobby

By time, by distance, with / without strides or what not?

What is your preference?

steph  

"Just stop fucking drinking too much and being fat.  Pretty simple.  Who the hell cares if you like beer.  

We can't always do the things we like all the time."  --Candice

Feeling the growl again

If it is cool, ~3 miles very easy with a few strides at the end.  If it is hot and especially humid, down to as little as a mile.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

Usually 20 minutes of very easy running (both warm up and cool down), after warm up jog, a few drills like butt kicks, high knees, skips, and strides.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

I like to run the full course of a 5k if it's not too hot out. Usually I'll do the first mile really slowly and gradually pick it up...maybe throw in a couple of race pace surges in the last mile. Then I'll do 2-3 strides right before the start. For longer races I'll do 1-2 miles depending on weather/motivation; the longer warm-up only really seems to benefit me for 5ks.

10-15 minutes really easy, with 5-8 20 yard pickups thrown in at the end.  I usually do this about 20-30 minutes before the race adn then hit the portapotty again before heading to the start.

"Journey" hater

About 10 minutes easy, some dynamic stretching, another 10 minutes easy and then 5-6 strides. If it is a smaller race I like to finish no more than 10 minutes before the start.

question time,

I hear lots of recommendations for "strides" as part of a warm up, or speed work.

I've tried to sort through YouTube to find a decent explanation of it, but I realize I don't know what I'm looking for.

Anyone have a good video explanation of Strides anywhere they'd care to share?

(my last warm up for a 10K was awful. The warm up was great, timing was perfect until they delayed the race by 30 minutes because only one person was working the check-in table, and not everyone thinks it's important to get there 45-60 minutes prior to the race. 2/3 of the field showed up at 7:55 for an 8:00 a.m. start)

ZZCaptainObvious

question time,

I hear lots of recommendations for "strides" as part of a warm up, or speed work.

I've tried to sort through YouTube to find a decent explanation of it, but I realize I don't know what I'm looking for.

Anyone have a good video explanation of Strides anywhere they'd care to share?

(my last warm up for a 10K was awful. The warm up was great, timing was perfect until they delayed the race by 30 minutes because only one person was working the check-in table, and not everyone thinks it's important to get there 45-60 minutes prior to the race. 2/3 of the field showed up at 7:55 for an 8:00 a.m. start)

Strides (as I understand them) are a short burst of acceleration from easy to near a sprint. Not flatout, but enough that you feel like you're going fast. Personally, I tend to do about 80 meters accelerating from a standing start to roughly race pace and then back down to a standstill. Basically, get your legs turning over more quickly. Try different things though. Some people like doing longer strides.

Also, ugh on the 10K. That's pretty awful...

some call me Tim

I like to run the full course of a 5k if it's not too hot out. Usually I'll do the first mile really slowly and gradually pick it up...maybe throw in a couple of race pace surges in the last mile. Then I'll do 2-3 strides right before the start.

This, exactly. It's a good warmup and having the course fresh in your mind is often very helpful. I failed to do this recently on a poorly marked course and made a wrong turn and lost two places and a potential PR in the process.

7/26 - EVL 9 (Ellicottville NY)

8/29 - Green Lakes 50k

By time, by distance, with / without strides or what not?

What is your preference?

For a warm-up at anything up to a half-marathon, I make a point of jogging out the first mile of the course to locate the 1-mile marker, very slowly, then run back to the start slowly, throwing in several fast strides along the way. Then I keep moving around until the lineup for the start of the race. In cold weather I might do a bit more really slow jogging. In hot weather I would probably do less warm-up.

old woman w/hobby

Thanks, every one.

steph  

"Just stop fucking drinking too much and being fat.  Pretty simple.  Who the hell cares if you like beer.  

We can't always do the things we like all the time."  --Candice

just a simple cat

I like to jog out and check out the last mile.  It is helpful especially if there ia a turn or hill at the end to see where that last kick should start.  Big grin

Running is stupid

I like to do about 20 minutes of easy running and then a couple of strides.

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

I found this article from RW to be very helpful with my last few race warm ups:

5-K WALK OR JOG 15-30 minutes STRIDES 8 x 100 meters 10-K WALK OR JOG 10-15 minutes STRIDES 6-8 x 100 meters