Obamacare Provision Allows Employer(s) To Penalize Overweight Employees? (Read 325 times)

Ostrich runner

There should be a green energy provision that allows employers to have overweight employees carry them on rickshaws to, from, and around the office.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Got to love wording.

If they say that fit employees get to pay less it is an insentive and a good thing.

If they say that overweight employees have to pay more it is a penalty and a bad thing.

At the end of the day it's the same thing.

Employers should just  make everyone run the 3000m steeplechase blindfolded. First across the finish line pays the least, last pays the most and everyone else falls in the middle scaled by time. Simple, fair and fun to watch.

kcam

For sure LED bulbs are not the answer.

#artbydmcbride

Got to love wording.

If they say that fit employees get to pay less it is an insentive and a good thing.

If they say that overweight employees have to pay more it is a penalty and a bad thing.

At the end of the day it's the same thing.

Employers should just  make everyone run the 3000m steeplechase blindfolded. First across the finish line pays the least, last pays the most and everyone else falls in the middle scaled by time. Simple, fair and fun to watch.

No age grading?  Sad

Runners run

A Saucy Wench

No age grading?  Sad

Old people are 'spensive

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Old people are 'spensive

And I thought that the blindfold would be a bit of an equilizer...

A Saucy Wench

And I thought that the blindfold would be a bit of an equilizer...

Old people are already blind so they are used to it?

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

For sure LED bulbs are not the answer.

Hey!

I heard that you get about 2 seconds per mile slower for each lb you gain.  My strategy - get fast while I'm heavy. Drop weight, and I'll be flyin' then. Fast is relative. 2 seconds per mile is not.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

No age grading?  Sad

They must be doing that more.  When I protested our family's 42% increase in monthly insurance premiums, I was told it was because I turned 50 this past year!  Huh, when I was younger they told me insurance was more expensive for women of child-bearing age.  I don't get it.

a healthy weight

please define.  are we using BMI as a screening tool or diagnosis.

Prince of Fatness

I completely agree.

However, a lot of employers already do this.  The last place I worked for, as well as the place that my SO works for now, both offer lower premiums and lower co-pays to employees who do not smoke, are at a healthy weight, and maintain good cholesterol, and blood pressure.  They offer employer-sponsored screenings for those who would like to try for the discount, and those who would like to work toward a goal of getting healthier & qualifying for the discount.  The employer does not see the results; they only get a pass/fail mark from the nurse who does the screening.

I think it's a great idea.

I like the concept, but what I find ironic is that many of these same companies want to do more with less, want employees to work more hours, be available 24/7, even be reachable on vacation.  The extra stress put on employees leads to poor eating habits, lack of sleep and exercise, drinking, smoking, etc.  Poor health.  This is one reason why I left the corporate world.

Not at it at all. 

FSBD

They do it with auto insurance, why not health insurance?

The more accidents  you get in to the higher your premiums.  Makes sense to me that they do it for obesity as well.  Look at the costs.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/30/obesity-costs-dollars-cents_n_1463763.html

They are the ones driving up health care costs.  They should pay for it.

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

Dream Maker

So I love me a good BMI debate but it suits overweight who do not exercise... Is that seLf reported?

A good fitness test lowering premiums; I could be on board with that!

a good BMI debate but it suits overweight who do not exercise... Is that seLf reported?

are you suggesting BMI results are favorable to overweight people who do not exercise?

are you asking if people are self reporting their height and weight to insurance and thus able to fib on BMI?