new runner in cold weather (Read 203 times)

Leclancy

I have been running just under a year and have had no problems.  I do 3 miles on average. (I have 6 kids so time is a big factor).  This morning I ran a short distance because of cold temps and diminishing sunlight (hubby has to be to work).  It was below freezing. I was dressed for the weather--moisture wicking garments, head covered, hands covered.  All was good until I passed 2 miles, then my right calf felt like someone was rolling balls along it.  I knew it was probably related to the cold.  It got worse and I had to walk home. Please advise as I am still in lots of pain. Not sure how to treat it or what to do to prevent it.  How long will I be out of running?

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I haven't had that happen. In the winter, my bigger problems are stabilizing muscles getting sore because of running on ice and snow. A bit early for that.

Are you icing the sore muscle? It might help. Is this the first time you've had an issue? Were you running on a different surface than usual? And easy culprit: how old are your shoes?

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

an amazing likeness

I would doubt your calf issue is cold related; cold-related aches and pains tend to get better as your run progresses as you warm up.

Sounds like you've maybe got a muscle strain or soreness. RICE it => Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

runmichigan

It sounds like you have strained one of the two calf muscles.  A strain is when the muscle fibers get stretched beyond their ability to easily return to their normal length.  A strain can be anywhere from a slight pull to a tear of the muscle.  Scar tissue will often form in the area and this scar tissue is less elastic than normal muscle fibers.

There are a few things that might have lead to this:

(1) Dehydration - Yes you can become dehydrated even in cooler and cold temperatures.  Being well hydrated will make your muscles more elastic.

(2) Muscles not properly warmed up - Does not seem likely in this case since it occurred late in the run.

(3) Faster pace and or longer distance - Speeding up or going significantly longer without being properly trained for it can cause the muscle to be overextended.

(4) Achilles tendon issues/tight calves - Both of these can limit how far the muscle can extend.

(5) Worn out shoes - If the shoes are worn out you may be altering your stride to compensate.

(6) Misstep into or around a natural obstacle - Does not likely since you did not report any.

My recommended treatment:

(1) RICE for first 48 hours.

(2) Wear compression sleeves or socks

(3) Motrin or similar to help reduce swelling (swelling may not be readily apparent)

(4) Consider riding stationary bike until you do not feel any pain in calf walking or running

(5) Use foam roller to massage area and break up scar tissue

(6) Use run/walk method to come back to running slowly

(7) Once back running continue to use foam roller and do calf stretches

bap

I would recommend you see a chiropractor or physical therapist who specializes in treating runners. 90% of the time they'll tell you it's nothing to worry about, which is always reassuring. In 7 years of seeing a chiropractor about various niggles he only recommended I take a break from running once. I didn't but I got away with it.

Certified Running Coach
            Crocked since 2013

mogana

spam
              Cyberic

Not cold related IMO.

JanaLamb

The cold alone should not be the cause of your muscles to tighten or experience cramps. There must be something that you're doing with your running when you body feels cold that is affecting your calf muscles. While you are running, try to consciously relax those muscles while you are running and every after shower, massage those muscles for five minutes.

Increase Speed and Stamina Blog