Could I run a Marathon on 40 MPW??? (Read 1539 times)

The past two years I have gotten injured while training at over 40 MPW (PF this year and last year Peroneal Tendonitius).....but I seem fine if I stick right at the 40 MPW level, and think I can run that mileage week in and week out.........(Im currently just building back after my PF)

I'd like to run a marathon in 2012 as I turn 60 in June (thats a little hard to put down  Cry but I'd like to prove that I'm not getting older, I'm getting better Smile) ..........but have always thought I'd want a base in the 50's (or more) and that 40 MPW really isnt enough..  

So, I'm looking for advice from some of the RA marathoners..........Do you think a base of 40 MPW is adequate for me to run a marathon in late September or October.  Or do you think 40 MPW is just not enough and I should stick to shorter races???

I'm not expecting any great time but would like to average somewhere in the 9:30 to 10:00 per mile (4:10 to 4:20 or so for the marathon)....

Thanks in advance for your replies....

John

Champions are made when no one is watching

Queen of 3rd Place

I ran my first on less than that, took it easy, felt fine (no bonking, cramping or wall-hitting whatsoever) on less than that in Jan 09, took me about 4:50 although that was partly because I was running with a slower runner. Second marathon in Apr 09 I bumped it up close to what you are now and did around 4:25. Also, at that time I had not been running for as long as you have. My guess is you'll do fine, but take it easy out there.

Ex runner

C-R

Run/Finish - yes

Race - you might be asking for trouble

I ran my first couple with 40 mpw and finished just fine (right at 4 hrs). I also learned that to race, you need a solid base and good training to push it. 

Good luck

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Slo

Absolutely John.

You can run, finish and have a great time. People certainly do it on less.

Why is it sideways?

Absolutely John.

You can run, finish and have a great time. People certainly do it on less.

Agreed!

There are no magic mileage numbers in this business.

Good luck.

I have run 2 marathons on about 40 mpw. Finished fine however it becomes a chore after about 20 mi. If you dont mind getting passed in that last 10k and willing to suffer a bit, you should do fine.

A Saucy Wench

Hell, I just ran monkey on something like a 10 mpw average.  I wouldnt recommend that.  But 40 mpw?  you might even race that pretty well. 

Have you given thought to the possiblility that its not volume but perhaps that almost all your runs(prior to your restarting) are at nearly the same pace whether you call them quality or easy?  

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I have run marathons with about 40MPW (probably 45ish) and I think I raced them...  3:38PR.  I always stuggle a bit after 20, but who doesn't

For a runner your age, 40 miles per week is more than enough. It is easy to get hurt as we get older, and recovery takes longer. There are exceptions, of course.  I ran 5 marathons in 2009 on 40 or so miles a week and did well in all but the last one.

Just make sure you do a long run every other week.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I BQ'ed on 40mpw. Did do 12 weeks at  ~55. (3:37:38)

PS: 1996 miles 9/2010-- 09/2011 --- 5 marathons --- 6 ultras BQ - 09/2011

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Prince of Fatness

I ran my first marathon on weekly mileage somewhere in the 40's and finished in just under 4 hours.  I think that if you set a realistic time goal you'll be fine.

Sounds like a nice way to celebrate your 60th birthday.  Good luck!

Not at it at all. 

Just ran my first full on Higdon's Intermediate half plan. Longest week was 43 miles most were under 40.

I ran (but did not race) a 4:20. Worked for me.

You can do it John, good luck.

2017 Goals
                          1) Run more than 231 miles
                          2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Cool Jump Suit

I have run 2 marathons on about 40 mpw. Finished fine however it becomes a chore after about 20 mi. If you dont mind getting passed in that last 10k and willing to suffer a bit, you should do fine.

Absolutely true!  I have run 3 on 40 mpw and each time that last 10k was pretty tough. 

So bittersweet,
                            This tragedy
                            Won't ask for absolution;
                            This melody,
                            Inside of me,
                            Still searches for solution.
                            A twist of faith,
                            A change of heart
                            Cures my infatuation.
                            A broken heart, 
                            Provides the spark
                            For my determination.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I don't recall ever finding the last 10K easy.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Cool Jump Suit

I don't recall ever finding the last 10K easy.

Kind of like a 5k, eh?

So bittersweet,
                                This tragedy
                                Won't ask for absolution;
                                This melody,
                                Inside of me,
                                Still searches for solution.
                                A twist of faith,
                                A change of heart
                                Cures my infatuation.
                                A broken heart, 
                                Provides the spark