Sub-90 Minutes for the Half Marathon (2012) (Read 6766 times)

Time to re-commit to this and get on it.

Awesome! I've put your races up. Good running...

(and see you in Lowell)

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
    We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

I ran my first half marathon on Sunday (Cleveland Rite Aid).  Wasn't sure what to expect, but I had fun. I had never raced longer than 5 miles before.  Ran a 1:38 with the temperature a little higher than I was prepared for, so I slowed down considerably by the end.  I am going to try for less than 1:30 this year, as I get a little more practice with the race.  My next planned one is October 7th, Towpath Half Marathon, but I am looking for one or two in between now and then.

Stress fracture is healed. I have been easing back into it and was able to knock out 11+ today, so...

Put me down for the Nashville 1/2 Marathon on November 10th.

--

Nashville, TN

I'm still running and strengthening through never-ending hip and calf injuries but I'm re-committing also!

GoodLife Fitness Victoria Half Marathon on Sunday, October 7, 2012 in Victoria, BC (not a bad way to spend a birthday!!)

Candice S., Gary Bjorkland Half, Duluth, MN, 6/16

rubhadubh, Johnny Miles Half Marathon, New Glasgow, NS 6/17

Good luck Candice and rubhadubh! Give em heck this weekend!

hairshirt knitter

Well, 1:32:20 for 22nd overall is as good as I could do today. To be honest, that was my predicted time, and is still another 2 mins off my recent best, so not goal, but fairly happy. I didn't think I was going to be able to run before the start as I had dreadful back pain for a couple of days, but once I got running, I hardly gave it a thought!

This goal is going to have to wait for a couple of months now, as the next goal race is a return to half-ironman triathlon on Aug. 5th.

Johnny Miles in New Glasgow, Nova Scotia is a great race, highly recommended. My only quibble was the lack of distance markers - like none! In a way it was quite nice, as I didn't look at my watch at all, and ran entirely on feel.

Rub, nice job on the recent best, and a good run.

Candice, congrats on doing it again, and the PR!

Thanks!! My second ever time going sub 90 and a 19 second PR. My training didn't go like it was supposed to the past month (hoped for 1:27ish), but i'll take the PR Smile

1:28:34

lagwagon

Anybody else? Surely there's more of you out there...can't let those sub 20 5k peeps have all the fun....and some of you sub 20 5k seekin' peeps are probably in this sub 90 target range too?

Hi all,

I hit my sub 20-5k a few weeks back (first in 10 yrs!), and have been wrestling with what to tackle next.  I was thinking sub-90 would be my goal for next year, but I'm feeling a little ambitious and may add the goal for this year.  I've run 3 HM before, best being 1:37 about 6 yrs ago.  Ran 1:42 last year on relatively short training.

Just wondering if there were any opinions on this training plan:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/132.shtml

It only steps up the mileage a little from where I am now, but seems to have better definition to the workouts.  There arent many "canned" plans I've found on line that are targeted for sub-90 (most seem to top out at 4 days/30mi per week).

Also open to any suggestions for a fall half in the NJ/NY area.  (Currently considering Newport/Liberty (end sept) or Princeton (Nov).)

Thanks in advance for any advice/thoughts.

Hi all,

I hit my sub 20-5k a few weeks back (first in 10 yrs!), and have been wrestling with what to tackle next.  I was thinking sub-90 would be my goal for next year, but I'm feeling a little ambitious and may add the goal for this year.  I've run 3 HM before, best being 1:37 about 6 yrs ago.  Ran 1:42 last year on relatively short training.

Just wondering if there were any opinions on this training plan:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/132.shtml

It only steps up the mileage a little from where I am now, but seems to have better definition to the workouts.  There arent many "canned" plans I've found on line that are targeted for sub-90 (most seem to top out at 4 days/30mi per week).

Also open to any suggestions for a fall half in the NJ/NY area.  (Currently considering Newport/Liberty (end sept) or Princeton (Nov).)

Thanks in advance for any advice/thoughts.

No plan except one written for you is targeted for any particular time goal.

The plan looks like it has the basic elements of any/every plan - a faster day, a medium mid week run, and a long run, and running everything else easy. My only question would be, 10x880 (or 800) @5k seems awfully tough. For me anyway, that might wipe me out for longer than 2 days. Maybe not, I've never tried it, but a recent 10x400 at 3k was brutal enough. If it were me, I might swap that workout for a solid tempo workout - 4 to 6 at faster than HMP. I'm no coach though.

MTA: congrats on sub 20, and good luck with sub 90.

MTA2: now that I think about it, I guess 4 miles at 5k with breaks or 4-6 at "faster than HMP" probably not a big difference.

lagwagon

Thanks for the note back Kevin.  I agree with you about the intervals and with your related "mta2".

My other more specific thoughts were whether to target higher mileage (as I'm already at 35-40 mpw), and if one hard day per week is sufficient, or would it be helpful to add another tempo run in on odd weeks.

I will adapt this plan a little (enable a few more rest days and a couple 5k races), but essentially follow up to 45 miles (maybe 50), long runs of ~15 miles, and one hard workout per week (unless there is a strong suggestion to the contrary).

Based on my 5k race last night (19:35) a couple of on line predictor/calculators show me at 1:30:30.  So count me in, I'll probably aim for Princeton (Nov 4) unless I can find something more suitable.

Been quite a while, time to dust this sucker off, looks like:

CliveF, Parkersburg Half Marathon, WV, 8/18

Good luck Clive! 

And anyone else who wants to join the fun, still plenty of time and a lot of good fall halves to sign up for...

My training post-stress fracture is going well. I have been doing track workouts on Tuesday mornings and have gotten long runs up to 16 miles.

It looks like it is paying off too. I ran a solid 18:27 5k over the weekend on a hilly course (new PR!)

Overall mileage is a little low last week and this week due to the 5k on Sat and a mile race coming up Thursday night. Once I am through those I am going to try to increase my weekly mileage up to around 50 until my half in October.

I think that will be enough to get it done.

Good luck this weekend CliveF!

--

Nashville, TN

And anyone else who wants to join the fun, still plenty of time and a lot of good fall halves to sign up for...

OK.  I will have a punt on October 7th at Cricklade Half.  Just snuck under 1:35 on April 1st running to heart rate, so will run this one to pace and see what happens.

Do what you want, just how you like. Nobody has to know.

I am running the St. Neots HM on the 18th Nov. It may well be the only HM I do for the rest of this year so hopefully I can get in shape for sub 90. 

At the moment I'm building up my long slow running in preparation for a 50k on 7th Oct..