Head for the hills...it's another newbie! :P (Read 1580 times)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Thanks! That really helped...now I don't hit my recommended max, even if I'm huffing and puffing. Tongue Okay, I asked this in the C25K group, but I just finished W3 and I'm shaking in my sneakers when it comes to W4 and on! How on earth can I run 5 minutes when 3 minute intervals took alot to pull out?
    I repeated a lot of weeks during C25K, and if I couldn't reach the next target, I just did what I could. Going 4 minutes, for example, instead of 5. You don't have to stick to the program rigidly! It's a good place to start, but you have to adjust it for where you are. Just keep running, and you'll be running MILES at a time! It took me over a year to get to 4 miles, but now it seems easy.
      ... if I reach my recommended maximum heart rate, should I stop? Every time I jog more than 60 seconds, it freaks out on me...but I can't just stop, you know? I want to finish the interval but I'm afraid that if I do that too much it'll be bad for me. Advice?
      Maybe I missed it, but how did you determine your "maximum recommended heart rate"? I only ask this because I've met quite a few people for whom "formulas" etc don't seem to work well. These folks have had a good VO2 test from which they can use the curve of Respiratory Exchange Ratio (RER) vs Heart Rate (HR) to determine the training point(s) they should use. Almost always, people are running too fast and training at too high a heart rate to build endurance. If you are doing some kind of "intervals", your heart rate recovery between the end of one interval and the start of the next can provide important clues as to whether you're going too fast. I've never done C25K, and don't know much about it, so I can't help with specific advice there. When I took up running 37 years ago at age 33, I soon reached a point where I thought I just wouldn't ever be able to run more than 2 1/4 miles. The first day I slowed down and took it easy I went 3 1/4 miles and it felt great. Take it easy.

De-slacking in progress

I'm a C25K recent grad. Ran for 1.25 hrs the other day in the heat. The reason the program is succesful is because it really WORKS ! I'm 46, weighed 85# more than I did when I got married 27 yrs ago, never did ANY athletic activity in my life, but I followed C25K program and did what it said and it work for me. As others have said- if you need to- repeat a week. It's a either TIME or DISTANCE program, not both. Personally I always went for the distance to get the "pain' over with Big grin It works.. it works...it works... I was never sore from doing the program- it's designed that way so you don't give up by pushing too hard. Just think- in a matter of weeks you'll be able to run 3.1 miles. How do you eat an elephant??? one bite at a time

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

Hi Goddess -- I was just wondering how you have progressed this week with your C25K program???? John A

Champions are made when no one is watching

Spingoddess

Congrats on getting started Lauren, it's a big step forward (heh, bad pun)! Don't worry about your stride right now, you're just starting off. I would just run according to what feels natural to you, while watching your posture. Your mid-sole foot strike sounds about right, again, as long as it feels natural to you. Also, don't worry about your running fitness (vs other types), running uses different muscles than other types of workouts, and you need to build up gradually. I strongly advise you to start with a run/walk program, like run 2 minutes walk 1 minute, or something like that, then gradually increase the running while decreasing the walking. Increasing gradually is key! You can really do damage to knees, shins, or other rather necessary body parts by jumping into too much too soon. Trust me, I was so gung ho I ran myself into a pelvic stress fracture once. As for water, check out http://www.zombierunner.com/. They carry some products that ultra runners use, like hand held water bottles. They take some getting used to, but I prefer them to belts. Another alternative is to drive to a park and run laps of the park where there are water fountains, or hiding water bottles along your route. Good luck and have fun!
            If we work hard at something we are passionate about, we might be rewarded with a few thrilling moments of perfection. John Bingham

TRIing to beat the heat!

Hi Goddess9! I'm so sorry that I missed your thread earlier. I just wanted to take a moment and congratulate you on your decision to get healthy through running. I graduated from the C25K program in February of '08 and I rememeber having all of the same thoughts/fears/questions that you have posted here. The 5 minute run in week 4... the 20 minute run in week 5! But like you, I also remember the feeling of actually wanting to get out there and run... no matter what! It just feels so wonderful! It looks like you are progressing along nicely... taking it slowly. I think that is really the #1 key to successful base building... slow and steady. I was already pretty fit when I started the program and I thought I could just be a speed demon right off the bat. I ended up with a hip/butt injury right around 'graduation' time that forced me to take two weeks off from running completely. After that, I really slowed things down. Interestingly enough, these days I actually do my easy runs slower than I used to do my C25K runs. That just shows you that you can't go slow enough during that base building phase. Keep it totally conversational. Talk to yourself during your runs if you have to... just to make sure that you still can talk. Wink I think you will continue to be amazed at your progress during C25K and beyond. When I look back on where I came from and where I am now... I'm just amazed! My long runs each Monday are now 8 miles and I log 20 miles a week. I also compete in triathlons now... something that I always wanted to do b/c I have a swimming background, but never got into b/c I just didn't think that I could run. C25K changed all of that for me! Best wishes to you... I know that you belong to the C25K group here, but I hope that you will continue to update this thread as well. I'd love to read about your progress. ETA: I carry a handheld water bottle on any run longer than 3 miles. I live in South FL and during the summer months, going waterless for even 4 short miles is not an option. I tried running with a belt-style hydration pack, but I didn't care for it at all. I now run with a handheld system by Nathan Sports (this one) and I love it. I actually don't even know it's there. It's so nice to just be able to raise my hand to my mouth and take a drink whenever I want to. Nothing to fiddle around with.

2012 Goals

Sub-1:42 for half marathon √ (1:41 at Disney, Jan '12)

Sub-22 for 5k √ (21:51 in Sept '12)

BQ for marathon- FAIL

The young Mama Bear!

Ooo, I haven't checked this area in a bit. I shall more often, since I have a big mouth! Blush slowgino, I meant 'target heart rate'. http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4736 You make me feel like a slowpoke, haha. Thanks, though! slaptear2, noooooo to distance! I'd die, for now at least. Big grin You're right though, baby steps. I can't believe that in a few weeks I'd be going for this long! John A, I just finished W4D2 today, and it wasn't that bad at all! W4D1 was a toughie because it was so humid outside and I felt like I couldn't really breathe right, but today was sunny and cool. I can't believe I can jog for 5 minutes now. Thank you so much for keeping track of me...I really did take your advice to heart. Your help combined with everyone else's has been a tremendous help! Smile Now I'm a slowpoke but I run with pride! Big grin Spingoddess, whenever I get psyched out by the time I'll be jogging, I focus on my form. For now, I'm not going to worry about it but if I choose to compete (wow, I can't believe I'm even saying that right now!), I probably will later. I started weight training on off days to strengthen my shinbones, muscles around my knees and my knees themselves. C25K is really great for pacing. I hope your fracture is all good now because that sound absolutely brutal! Surprised Thanks so much for the link, and thanks for the tips! Shellabree, so true! I go out for my runs, regardless of how I feel. It's like a pull...I can't really explain it. And you can't really beat the feeling afterwards. Wink Oh, I talk to myself sometimes as a pace check. I might look weird but I have stopped caring about passersby 2 weeks ago! 5 minutes doesn't seem like much at all, but progressing to this point in only a month? Fantastic to me. I am in the C25K group, and I almost forgot about this thread! Blush I didn't want to update this too often because I didn't want to come off as self-absorbed, but I will update whenever I hit a milestone! OMG, I brought that very same water bottle about three weeks ago! I absolutely love it...I don't even notice it when I'm jogging. I might need to upgrade for the next few weeks since I tend to sip a lot. I went through almost the whole 21 oz. in 30 minutes. Whoa. Thanks, everyone! I was like 'wow, more replies!'...everything has been so helpful! Smile
                Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
                Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
                  slowgino, I meant 'target heart rate'. http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4736 You make me feel like a slowpoke, haha. Thanks, though!
                  Oh, ok, those "target heart rate ranges" are not all that bad, but as they say - they're based on averages and individuals can differ... FWIW, the "220-age" estimate for Maximal Heart Rate (MHR) is just one of the well-known formulas, and is just an average, as they say. Secondly, determining your ideal training heart rates from MHR is not the best or most accurate way either. That being said, their recommendation of 75% MHR is likely a pretty good one, if you know your real MHR. Your age indicates that you could be a bit outside the range of best accuracy for some of the formulas. If you just run easy and enjoy it you probably won't go wrong. The problem is that some people seem to think they are running easy but they really aren't. Don't worry if you have to take a walk break from time to time. How can I make you feel like a slowpoke? I'm the slowpoke! Smile If you looked at the PRs on my log - hey that was about 30 years ago, and I'm a lot slower than that now (partly by choice...) Take it easy, and enjoy the running...

The young Mama Bear!

Thanks, Slowgino. Slowpokiness (yes, that's a word starting now!) is all relative. In my book, you're no slowpoke. Big grin Just popping my head in to say that I just finished W5D3. Shocked My stomach hurts a little bit but that's because I've never, ever jogged 20 minutes. It'll get used to it. THANK YOU to everyone who supported me up to this point. The program is long from over, but I never thought I'd do this run on the first try. You all are amazing. Big grin
                    Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
                    Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
                      1) I can barely jog for a minute, even though I am pretty fit for my weight. It's somewhat disappointing! I hoof it up stairs but I can't run? =( 2) My stride is short when I jog. I understand that trying to open it up too much is just asking for trouble, but are there tips to lengthen it just a little? I have short legs to begin with. 3) I am trying to keep my feet landing midsole and roll with the ball of my foot off the ground. Correct? 4) I cannot run without water. I don't really want a belt, so are there any good alternatives? 5) I'd like a heart rate monitor without a chest strap that's not $300. Any product raves? 6) I have flat feet, but the shoes I wear (New Balance 411...I know, they're old Surprised ) don't hurt my feet whatsoever. Usually that's the problem when I run...but nothing. Do I still need to get fitted at a running store?
                      Goddess: Probably one of the most important things is that you work within yourself particularly in the beginning. Regardless of how discouraging and disheartening it may seen at first (believe me, we all know how that feels!), don't squeeze extra ounce out of you. Do what you feel happy about--well, actually, do what your BODY feels happy about. Even if you may feel it disappointingly slow, let it be for now. You'll be surprised how quickly you'll be running further AND faster once you start to get into shape and improve your fitness level. Be patient for now. It is best not to consciously try to alter your stride length. The best way to "lengthen" your stride without consciously working for it would be to work on the hill (which I thought was the original post???). You may actually want to consider "walking" up the stairs at first. My wife busted her ACL last Christmas and, after a surgery, she's trying to regain her leg strength. I suggested her to do some hills but, since she used her own hamstrings and, hense, missing one hamstring on her right leg, it's very difficult for her to run up the hill. There's this hill of about 150 yards near our place which I recommended at first. But there's a library along this hill and there's a stairs about a half way up this hill. We're now experimenting this one. She would walk up the steps, concentrating on placing the Center of Gravity just right so your C of G is rolling forward. Put your hands on your quads at first to get extra "push"; this may actually help you seek the right position. The important thing is; not to just use quads to "pull" you up along. You want to "push" the steps back all the way--in other words, your back leg should feel completely straight behind your butt--imagine, by the time your trailing foot takes off from the step, all the way from the tip of your head down to your foot will be on one straight line. Don't try to run up fast or anything; this would get too highly anaerobic and you'd start to puff; which is not desirable at this point. This is resistance work; not anaerobic work. As your legs get stronger, your stride length will increase naturally. Incidentally, this is a technique employed by one of the Japanese corporate team, Mitsui Sumitomo. They are sending two ladies to Beijing; Reiko Tosa for marathon and Yoko Sshibui for 10,000m. So they must be doing something right! As for landing, as long as you're not landing hard on your heel; you should be fine. For this, you need to learn the technique of "drawing a circule with your leg" instead of swinging your legs like a pendulum. You need to have a good knee lift for this and step exercise outlined above should help for that as well. As for water, I hate carrying any of those water bottle thingie myself! I don't take water along the way usually; but, for example, when I do the long run with my girl on a hot summer day, I usually hide a water bottle along the way before hand. I would freeze the water bottle (make sure you take a small sip to make some room for freezing or the bottle may burst) and place it a couple of hours before the run so by the time we get there, the ice would melt yet the water is still icy cold. For a long long run, I may place it 2 different spots. Otherwise, find the route with a gas station or park with water fountain along the way. There was a HRM that attached to your finger (unless someone else already mentnioned...). Can't remember the name of it but a friend of mine used to work for them and they are one of the sponsors for NYC marathon. I can't remember how much it was either but worth checking it out. God, what was the name of it...??? You have flat feet because your structure is such OR you have weak arch and the arch sank down. Some of the Olympic champions had flat feet so it's not necessarily a bad thing (you may suffer a bit here and there... Clowning around). But if it's the latter, you'll need to strengthen your arch. Some of the best exercises for that is to pick up a wet towel with your toes or place the towel flat and open on the floor and put your foot on one end and, with your toes, not feet, slowly pull the towel toward you. Or put some marbles (or PET bottle caps) on the floor and pick them up with your toes. If you have weak arch, having supportive shoes may not help you because they would make your feet weaker and weaker. Instead, you'll need something of a nuetral shoes with preferably thinner sole. Thick bulky shoes will restrict the movement of your feet and, if anything, place too much undue pressure particularly on your arch. Once I had a pair of shoes and, as I run in them, my arch started to hurt. I noticed that the fore-part of the shoe was not quite flexible. I so made a couple of grooves to make it more bendable (flexible). Instantly, the pain in my arch disappeared. New Balance has some very good racing flats and the fact they come rather straighter last, they probably be a good bet for someone with flat feet; but make sure the shoes are flexible. They have to bend where your feet bend; in other words, around the toe area AS WELL AS the arch area. If you've found the shoe that fit you perfectly (NB411), stick with it. I didn't know if they were old shoes but I just googled it and, apparently they are available at Amazon (I didn't know they sell shoes as well???) for something like $30~50!!! That's a steal nowadays! Go try to buy as many pairs of this guy as possible before they completely disappear from the market (it happened to me before...). You'll have to think about it when they completely disappear... But, you know, tomorrow is another day! So are you really Goddess? If so, I've been looking for you! ;o) (don't tell my wife!)
                      redleaf

Thanks, Slowgino. Slowpokiness (yes, that's a word starting now!) is all relative. In my book, you're no slowpoke. Big grin Just popping my head in to say that I just finished W5D3. Shocked My stomach hurts a little bit but that's because I've never, ever jogged 20 minutes. It'll get used to it. THANK YOU to everyone who supported me up to this point. The program is long from over, but I never thought I'd do this run on the first try. You all are amazing. Big grin
                        yippie! congrats on finishing Week 5!

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

Hey congrats on the bug!~ Your are on the beggining stages of a new you! through most of grade school i was overweight and dreaded the mile run in gym class. I could not run anywhere near a 1/4 mile. I couldnt imagine it! My uncle was a marathoner at the time and i didnt get how that was possible. Patiently however with alot of self-motivation... I was determined to turn my life around just like you. I did more than just run...to keep the buzz going i did alot of hiking, and i joined the gym. but running is my passion. Now.. 60lbs lighter, ive run 2 5ks, a 10k, and im training for my first half marathon this september! You can do it!
                          http://www.climbingamerica.blogspot.com

The young Mama Bear!

Thanks guys! Smile Just popping my head in to say that I've finally run 30 minutes! I've got to hand it to everyone who lent a kind word...it really pushed me along. I'm so happy I'm addicted! I'm so grateful for all of the help I've gotten. Yes