Safety (Read 556 times)

So on Saturday afternoon I went out to a trail near my house that I expected to be heavily-trafficked on such a nice day. I ran 6 miles (a record for me!) and thoroughly enjoyed the scenery, being out by myself, nodding to runners I passed, etc. To my surprise, I ended up going for long stretches of time without passing anyone, but I felt completely safe the whole time. Then on Sunday this happened: http://www.nbc4.com/news/15620679/detail.html Not at all close to the trail I ran - but the fact that it happened at 1:30 pm on a Sunday! That put a real damper on my new plan to go on weekly long trail runs. I figured on the middle of an afternoon on a weekend, I'd be fine out by myself. I know this topic arises frequently and I know the advice is always the same....don't run alone, don't listen to your iPod (though I don't know how I could stand an hour+ run without listening to Wait Wait Don't Tell Me), stay aware of your surroundings. But, man. I really hate being a young female when I read about things like this. And finding a running partner is difficult - my roommate and I run at about the same pace, but she hasn't run farther than a 5K yet so can't come on my long run with me. In June I'll be moving to yet another new neighborhood, with a nonrunning roommate, and a dog is nowhere in the forseeable future. And I LIKE running alone! Sigh.

Oh Mighty Wing

Maybe you can find a running partner not at your pace who will run at the same time and place. You could warm up together then separate ways and end up at the end together. This way you both get to run alone, but with the knowledge that someone you know is on the trail keeping an eye out for you.
      kcam

Join a running club, you should be able to hook up with a few like-paced runners.

Maggie & Molly

falls ~~ I'm with you and like to run alone too. There is a bike trail near my home that I like but my DH is not at all comfortable with me going alone for the exact reason as what happened in that article. Unfortunately, over the years there have been a few attacks on the trail. Anyway, my Dh goes on his bike (he is not a runner) and goes up ahead, comes back, goes ahead - you get the idea. I'm 'alone' in my run but am totally safe this way. Good luck working out the kiniks so you can safely run alone!!!

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
          Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

Cherrie, that's a really good idea. My boyfriend (future nonrunning roommate) is into biking and I bet I could talk him into doing that for my long runs! Thanks!

Beatin' on the Rock

I always felt better knowing my cell phone was right there, clipped to my waistband, until one day on my SW Florida trail, I ran into 3 HUGE loose dogs. I barely registered the owner somewhere a ways behind - the dogs were off leash and bounding straight for me. I took off back the way I came at a faster pace than I ever imagined I could run 2 miles - not the smartest thing to do, I know, but fear overcame common sense. When I got back to the parking, I jumped in my car, whipped out my cell to call the forestry, and the display was completely mirror-image; it was dead - death by sweat. Then I threw up. Note: keep cell phone away from sweaty shirts. Most cells now have locating devices (ping - ability), so at least they'll find my body. (If it's tucked into a fanny pack, it's not going to help much NOW, you know?
              Be yourself. Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter.
              Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Now that I'm a divorced single female living alone, I've been bummed that running in the dark in the early a.m. hours is probably not the best idea. But when we get into the dog days of summer, it is the only way to really get a good workout in before the heat and humidity go off the charts. I've talked to my mom about this and we plan to set up a system where I tell her in advance of my running schedule - then send her a text message (can even just be one letter - just so she knows it is from me) when I'm home safe and sound from my run. She knows that if it gets to 7 a.m. and she hasn't "heard" from me that something is wrong (I start work at 7 a.m) and she'll know to check up on me to see if I am okay or if something is wrong. And, if I don't end up running, I can still text her so she knows I'm okay. This also saves me from waking her up in the wee hours of the morning! Then of course, I take a light with me, my cell phone, no iPod and pepper spray. Dress in bright clothes and be hyper-alert. I also try to run at our well-lit college campus and on busier streets. We haven't tried this system yet, but plan to when I start doing the a.m. runs as the weather warms up. Heck, I loved those runs so much last summer that I may not even wait for the warmth! It was THE BEST way to start a day.

TRUST THE PROCESS