Any RA'ers affected? "Las Vegas marathon runners say they were sickened" (Read 1784 times)

Ha, and I was kind of expecting something about carbon-hydroxy compounds.... Smile

I am sitting here drinking a tasty Pale Ale... that would have been so much the better answer..... oh the shame, the shame Blush

You win AP, you win. Smile

2017 Goals
    1) Run more than 231 miles
    2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

xor

The sickness thing is a little weird... and while I *do* know one person who did get megasick, this is a tough thing that seems to be growing by message board amplification.

But there were SOOOOO many other issues at this race.

There's even a new t-shirt created for one of the big issues.

http://www.zazzle.com/i_survived_the_merge_tshirt-235038484230853302

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Interesting...the Competitor CEO is a big fat liar.  I just listened to an internet radio program on which he was interviewed.  The host was asking him questions submitted by runners of the Sunday race.  One of the questions was about RnR deleting angry/critical posts made on the RnR LV FB page.  The CEO very blatantly said that no, no one is deleting posts.  Bullshit.  A couple of nights ago I was watching that page like the trainwreck that it is and seeing entire critical threads *poofing* with each page load.  I even made a comment in one of the threads (as I was one of the group of RA peeps who ran last year's race).  The thread I commented in was gone 5 minutes later.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

xor

Then there's this.  Lifted from a fb page, but I think y'all will get the jist/gist:

"calling Shenanigans on the CEO of Competitor Group and his wife. They ran the Las Vegas half marathon together, as a wedding couple, supposedly attended the run-thru-wedding chapel on the course, and somehow both managed to win their age divisions with a 6:31 avg pace. They wore each other's bib numbers - technically you can be DQ'd for wearing someone elses number. They have NO split times for the 5k and 10k marks. AND - their bib numbers indicate that they should have started in the last corral. How did they manage to run a 1:25:16 half marathon, starting in the last corral thus having to weave thru all the walkers, and attend a wedding?!? SHENANIGANS!!!!!!!"

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Really, nearly no ingestant or infection causes diarrhea in under 6 hours. 

I wonder about dinner the night before as others have suggested

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Then there's this.  Lifted from a fb page, but I think y'all will get the jist/gist:

"calling Shenanigans on the CEO of Competitor Group and his wife. They ran the Las Vegas half marathon together, as a wedding couple, supposedly attended the run-thru-wedding chapel on the course, and somehow both managed to win their age divisions with a 6:31 avg pace. They wore each other's bib numbers - technically you can be DQ'd for wearing someone elses number. They have NO split times for the 5k and 10k marks. AND - their bib numbers indicate that they should have started in the last corral. How did they manage to run a 1:25:16 half marathon, starting in the last corral thus having to weave thru all the walkers, and attend a wedding?!? SHENANIGANS!!!!!!!"

I caught that, too.  After everything that has come out re: that race I see myself going out of my way to avoid paying $$$ for any future RnR/Competitor events.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

How long before this person's comment is deleted...?

Dear Mr. Englehart,
                I'm sure you and those in the RnR organization would ban runners who do not run the course and receive a medal and take awards from the actual winners. You and your wife running your 6:31 pace (1:25 hour) half marathon, whilst running through the wedding chapel and yet taking the medal (no splits recorded for you on any mat) are quite the pair! When does your own ban begin on yourself? And maybe you should have saved those medals for the folks who actually ran the race!

~ Sarah Kay

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Losing my taste for shellfish, reading about some of this stuff.

Was there a red tide in... um... the Mandalay Bay pool? Or in that water at the Bellagio maybe?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I ran it and was was definitely feeling sick at the end but no vomiting or anything. Everything else was as reported. Joke of an organization.

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

Sources?  Proof?  

Going to have to pull out your textbooks.. or just google if you want.

Let's see the only thing that's going to cause vomiting that fast are the Heavy Metals(~10 mins) or Staph (20-30 mins), both of which are usually foodbourne toxins... not common to see in water due to treatment. Thus, I'm almost sure it's isolated to a particular segment. You're not going to get heavy metals leaching from a trash bag or a trash can. You're also unlikely to get explosive diarrhea as these are that toxic

Frills, Robert H. Essentials of Environmental Health. Boston: Jones and Barlett Publishers, 2007. (Check these pages specifically for your concern in food and water quality section 274, 285. )

Edit: All of this was made on the assumption that they were using plastic trash cans because of the lighter weight. I'd switch over to agreeing with heavy metals if someone there tells me they used galvanized cans or something....

Goals: To keep running regardless of what happens.
                      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

You're also unlikely to get explosive diarrhea

Agreed. The diarrhea is what makes this weird.

I just got back from Las Vegas. Was there for a business trip. The water in the hotel was putrid. Horrible drinking water there. That city is a shithole. I don't think I will ever go back.

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

How would you say that this strategic choice has affected your running?

He never gets a lump in his throat when he runs anymore.

2017 Goals: Give up goals; they're stoopid

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm the rest of the night;
                            Set a man afire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

What in the Jehu?

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

I have not dog in this race, but...

I'm from the school of a "peck of dirt before you die". However, this is a large organization putting on the race.

1. why run the image of being so cheap as to use garbage cans and hydrants as the source? I don't recall any cheap/affordable RnR races.

2. why risk that kind of liability?

I too doubt the runner was directly affected from the water or food on the course and her breakfast or dinner from the night before are more likely causes for her ailment.

2017 Goals: Give up goals; they're stoopid

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm the rest of the night;
                              Set a man afire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

What in the Jehu?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I'm thinking of adding diarrhea to Monkey 2012.