Running Soreness (Read 5065 times)

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

I know we are supposed to listen to our bodies when running so this brings up my question. Do you still run when you feel soreness. I remember when I first started running I used to run through the soreness in my legs to build up the miles. I had not really noticed that until I started to turn up my running lately from 4 to 5 days a week. I can still run and after getting warmed up my times are not too bad. Do the question is do you run through soreness? Is soreness a good thing or a bad thing?
      2011 Goals:
      Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
      Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
      Sure, I do - depending. If it's just a little muscle soreness, I head out. If it's closer to almost painful soreness, I don't. If the soreness doesn't go away after a couple or three miles, I start heading back for home.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

I'm still trying to figure this one out myself. Confused I have to force myself to not run somedays, to give my legs a rest, but I know there are plenty of people here who run pretty much every single day. I do better in races when I haven't run for two or three days prior, so that tells me that I do benefit from the rest days.

Michelle

depends. If I can feel it when I run, I don't run. If I feel sore but don't feel it when I run, I run.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

depends. If I can feel it when I run, I don't run. If I feel sore but don't feel it when I run, I run.
            Good point. There are times when before running I feel sore but within a few minutes of running the soreness fades away.

Michelle

The Floor Walker

General muscle soreness is a natural thing, it just means that all this running is actually working. Obviously you want to recover from the soreness so it's best not to run yourself into the ground, however, I find that a super easy day when you are sore actually helps speed up the recovery process. It helps to keep the muscles loose and increase blood flow. On days that I don't run after a really hard workout, I find that the soreness doesn't go away as fast and the legs get even tighter.
                I find that a super easy day when you are sore actually helps speed up the recovery process. It helps to keep the muscles loose and increase blood flow. On days that I don't run after a really hard workout, I find that the soreness doesn't go away as fast and the legs get even tighter.
                THAT is exactly why I run pretty much every day! If I'm sore enough that it makes my easy runs not easy I don't run that day. Otherwise I run

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

On Sunday my legs felt tight for the first 2.5 miles so I decided to turn around and just make it a five mile run. However, at mile 3 - 3.5 my legs started to feel better so I just decided to run a different route to finsh and got my 13 miles in. I'm taking today off so hopefully that helps. Do you take any medicine when you feel soreness like IBU/Advil? Does that help temporarily or is it a good idea to do it anytime your muscles feel sore?
                    2011 Goals:
                    Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
                    Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
                    Do you take any medicine when you feel soreness like IBU/Advil? Does that help temporarily or is it a good idea to do it anytime your muscles feel sore?
                    I personally don't, but others do. Here's a good thread on the subject though.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

On Sunday my legs felt tight for the first 2.5 miles so I decided to turn around and just make it a five mile run. However, at mile 3 - 3.5 my legs started to feel better so I just decided to run a different route to finsh and got my 13 miles in. I'm taking today off so hopefully that helps. Do you take any medicine when you feel soreness like IBU/Advil? Does that help temporarily or is it a good idea to do it anytime your muscles feel sore?
                      I for one don't believe in taking meds for just muscle soreness (unless it's neck pain or back pain which isn't from running) Easier to listen to your body if your not masking the symptoms! Just my 2 cents worth

Dog-Love

I agree with the folks on this thread and soreness is a sign that your muscles are doing what they need to do after a workout. I am going on 49 and I am getting used to always being sore in the am. Its weird, but running gets me feeling less sore, while sitting at my desk too long can get me so sore that I almost don't want to get my lunchtime run in. I try to avoid the meds.
                        Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)