Wider Toebox (Read 2492 times)

luken

RA's cranky old teenager

I'm on my break between the spring track season and summer training for cross country. I'm soon going to be putting in 35-45 miles a week, which is a pretty decent increase in mileage. The thing is, my Saucony Kinvara 2 is hurting me, I think, because of its relatively small toebox. So what kind of shoe would you guys recommend for a neutral gait, possibly as close to the Kinvara structurally as possible, but with a wider toebox? I think the NB Minimus line advertises itself as having a wider toebox...

Thanks!

That's probably maybe mostly true.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Check out the Brooks PureFlow.  I've been running in them a bit and they are usually compared to the Kinvara.  They are wide-ish.  If you have really wide feet they may feel a bit confining (I am finding this, but I have serious duck-feet).  I compared them to a friend's Kinvara 2s and there is no way in Hell I could wedge my feet in those.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

How about the Kinvara 3 in 2E width.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

Mizuno Musha 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

The NB Minimus last has a nicely shaped toe box - I can run blister free with wet feet for more than 18 hours straight in them.

For something with a bit more structure than the Minimus, more similar to the Kinvara, try the NB 730 ... it's a dark horse. Built on the same last as the Minimus line, but with bit more cushioning and a 3-4mm heel-toe drop. It's more like a traditional running shoe, but with a wide toe box (without being a "wide" shoe - with heel-slippage issues, etc.)

Liz

pace sera, sera

spinach

I have the NB 730 and it is a nice shoe although it has some limitations.  I think the quality of the workmanship is considerably lower than the MR-10 that it is similar to.  It does have a nice wide toe box but one thing you need to be careful of is to get the correct size for it.  I wear a size 9.5 for the MR-10 but for the 730 I wear a size 9 and it may be a bit large on me.  Use the size checker on Running Warehouse to get the correct size if you order the shoes on line. 

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

The NB Minimus last has a nicely shaped toe box - I can run blister free with wet feet for more than 18 hours straight in them.

For something with a bit more structure than the Minimus, more similar to the Kinvara, try the NB 730 ... it's a dark horse. Built on the same last as the Minimus line, but with bit more cushioning and a 3-4mm heel-toe drop. It's more like a traditional running shoe, but with a wide toe box (without being a "wide" shoe - with heel-slippage issues, etc.)

Yes, what buzzie said.  

I use the NB 730 and the NB MT10.    Mostly on roads.  I need the MT 10 a half size larger than the 730.

The MT 10 is a better quality material.  Neither is that great on gravel/rocks, for me any way.  

But I need that wide toe box.

I'd like to try the NB 110 but haven't yet.  Also the NB1010 when it comes out.

steph  

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Agree, the 730 is not as nicely made as most other NB shoes. Not even sure why this one exists or if they're going to keep it. I have a pair in my usual size (same as other NB Minimus) and also a half size up - for some reason, my foot suddenly seemed to grow.

I tried the 110, thinking it might be a nice bit "more" than the 10, 20, 00 models and suitable for a 24-hour paved ultra ... didn't fit me at all. Seemed smaller than others. And, I found the upper annoyingly rubbery. That said, there was a gentleman who did run that 24-hour in the 110 - so, I guess it worked for him. (I wound up just suffering through the blisters in a pair of Kinvaras.)

Liz

pace sera, sera

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I was wondering about the rubber upper.   Seems an odd material choice.

steph  

The Kinvara 1 worked for me.  The Kinvara 2 didn't work because of the toe box.  I'm in Brooks Pure Flow right now and like them a lot.  I also had good luck with NB 890s.

Cheers!

kcam

I need a wider toebox and forefoot and have had very good luck with the Puma FAAS 400 (those fit me perfect).  Another shoe I like a lot because of the width is the ASICS Gel Tarther - both of those shoes are neutral and come in about 8 ounces..  I got all weird and just ordered a pair of the Altra Instinct from RW - they are odd looking and expensive but, what the hell, they look like shoes that would fit my feet well.  They're also 'zero-drop', neutral shoes that weigh in about 9 ounces (so says RW).  They should get here tomorrow.

SMART Approach

I need wider toebox because of bunion. I love the Brooks Green Silence if you are an efficient runner as it is a 6.9 oz shoe. Very happy with the Saucony Mirage also which is similar to Kinvara with a touch of stability. Both are very good for my bunion and light shoes. The heel to toe is actually a bit higher with the Green Silence.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

xor

Si... lessening the "drop" between the heel and the toe is the newest big thing in running shoes (most dramatically to a barefoot-like 0mm drop... aka completely flat).  That is a big difference between Green Silence and many of these other ones.  Whereas Kinvara and Pure Flow both have about a 4mm drop between the heel and toe, Green Silence is 10mm... that's an old school drop.

I will let smarter people than me discuss what is "right".  Just underscoring the difference.  Green Silence isn't a minimal shoe per se.  Though it is very light and has absolutely no stability features.

Although I wear stability shoes in general, I have worn a pair of green silence for a few < 6 mile runs recently.  I really like them for that.

SMART Approach

Green Silence is 10mm... that's an old school drop.

Yep, which is why I personally like to race in them. I am not comfortable racing in the very low heel to toe drop shoes ad my feet have adapted to the higher heel. I do run in the Mirage's which I believe are around 4mm for 4-6 mile runs just to mix things up. Both have roomy toeboxes.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

luken

RA's cranky old teenager

Alright, thanks guys! I actually tried on the Brooks PureFlow at my local running store when I got my Kinvaras and I didn't especially like the feel of them. Maybe I'll try them again...

That's probably maybe mostly true.