Lance Armstrong: Stop at Nothing (movie) (Read 236 times)

Joann Y

Sophocles would love this guy.  Lance is bringing Greek tragedy back.

I see a phone call to Timbaland and a music video in his future.

The thing that is most disturbing is what seems to be his total inability to see that he did anything wrong. Words come out of his mouth but I don't believe him. Not one bit. I think he's a psychopath. Whatever that means, he is it.

Cool Jump Suit

He's an A-hole. Why do our heroes always have to turn out to be regular people?   Ha..... Bet he cheated for the NYC Marathon too.

So bittersweet,
      This tragedy
      Won't ask for absolution;
      This melody,
      Inside of me,
      Still searches for solution.
      A twist of faith,
      A change of heart
      Cures my infatuation.
      A broken heart, 
      Provides the spark
      For my determination.

pedaling fool

It's a shame he turned out so bad, because he is a truly gifted athlete, this his him as a young kid competing in a triathlon   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFkAhs4vAsk

I see a phone call to Timbaland and a music video in his future.

The thing that is most disturbing is what seems to be his total inability to see that he did anything wrong. Words come out of his mouth but I don't believe him. Not one bit. I think he's a psychopath. Whatever that means, he is it.

Yes. Even just the opening scene made my skin crawl, the way he's sitting there in a deposition with his shirt unbuttoned, correcting the questioner on the nature of anabolic vs, catabolic....creeptastic.

mta: ok, I finished watching last night. That Armstrong is a sociopath doesn't need restating (he doesn't seem to have any actual emotions apart from rage and perhaps self pity) but I have additional  thoughts.

1. Is this really a Greek tragedy? How much has this man actually suffered? Sure, his public persona took a hit, but surely he's financially set for life, having had years to hide/organize his ill-gotten assets in a sustainable way. He has a business, a family, three million Twitter followers, and zero sense of guilt or compunction. Judging by my Facebook feed whenever lance's name is in the news, he benefits highly from our society's general tendency to side with the aggressor/winner, regardless of how unethical, amoral, sociopathic and downright unpleasant. it's a tragedy more in the sense that it reminds you there is no justice in the world.

2. His mother. Wow. I need to find out what she did while raising him and then do the opposite...though just the brief clips of her are enough to give a general idea. "We" survived cancer and won the tdf? Holy lack of boundaries!

3. I love the way Oprah has to try hard to take a $75 million loss seriously during her interview with lance. Her face is like "oh is that all? Oh wait, must look serious."

4. Some of the supporting characters are hilarious/fascinating/frightening all at once. Tyler Hamilton seems like quite the psychological case study, consistently stating it was all unreal, like a movie, an adventure. The way he sort of flounced his head and carefully smoothed his hair down behind his ears as he said - discussing the federal investigation - "well, you can't lie in federal court!" (Or something along those lines)

5. Apart from the drug cheating, it would be interesting to know how many of his wins were rigged, as they touched on at the beginning of the film.

Anyway. Fascinating film. I will take myself over to depressingramblingahead.com now Smile