Getting back into it. (Read 539 times)

bjoiner

Hey Everyone. I'm an old CR member checking out Running Ahead. (Seems like a lot of people have moved this way, so I figured I'd give it a try.) I've been away from serious running for a couple of months due to colds/injuries/busyness but things have settled down a little and I'm ready to start training seriously again. This may be more of a personal preference thing, but I'm just curious what people think. Do you tend to increase your distance or your speed first? (Or a bit of both?)
      I don't consciously increase my speed. I find that by running more, it takes care of itself.
      Do bears bear? Do bees be?
      Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Distance first and second, add speed 3rd for me.
          Welcome to Running Ahead. I used to hang at CR myself before it went away. You are a new runner and all of your runs at this point should be at an easy "conversational" pace. That means that you should be able to carry on a limited conversation while you run. If you can't and find yourself out of breath, you need to slow down even more, even if it means walking occasionally. As your endurance improves you'll find yourself running farther and faster with the same amount of effort. You wouldn't build a house on a weak foundation and you shouldn't build your running on one either. In addition to making you a better runner, a strong foundation will strengthen your muscles and connective tissues and help prevent injury. Tom
            I've been away from serious running for a couple of months due to colds/injuries/busyness but things have settled down a little and I'm ready to start training seriously again. This may be more of a personal preference thing, but I'm just curious what people think. Do you tend to increase your distance or your speed first? (Or a bit of both?)
            Sounds like me about 5 weeks ago. I always go for the distance first. Aside from building back the aerobics base, it gives the joints, tendons, muscles, etc time to toughen up so they won't get injured. Building up to distance, I just run easy - using my HRM to make sure I don't go too hard. Seems to work - in 5 weeks I've gone from less than 4 hrs/wk to 9 hrs/wk. It probably depends on what you're training for. I'm just in it for health and feeling good.
              I train for distance. ( or lack there of at the momment) The further I go the faster I seem to go.

My sport's your sport's punishment

2012 goals

100 Km month         150 K month      200K month

5K run    10K run     20K run              30K run

sub 30 min 5K         sub 55min 10K

bjoiner

Welcome to Running Ahead. I used to hang at CR myself before it went away. You are a new runner and all of your runs at this point should be at an easy "conversational" pace. That means that you should be able to carry on a limited conversation while you run. If you can't and find yourself out of breath, you need to slow down even more, even if it means walking occasionally. As your endurance improves you'll find yourself running farther and faster with the same amount of effort. You wouldn't build a house on a weak foundation and you shouldn't build your running on one either. In addition to making you a better runner, a strong foundation will strengthen your muscles and connective tissues and help prevent injury. Tom
                Thanks Tom. (I remember you from CR) I wouldn't really consider myself a "new" runner. I've been running pretty consistantly for about 14 years now, with 5 HM's under my belt. Just had some PF issues and took some time to let that heal properly. I realize that building endurance allows you to go farther and faster, but eventually you need to make the decision that "today I am going run a longer distance" than I did yesterday. I personally do it more by how I feel, but I wanted to see what other people do.
                  Sorry, I based my recommendation on your log which only shows a weeks worth of running. The same recommendation applies though, your base should alway be strengthened before any speed work is attempted. Come to think of it I remember you from CR as well. How about sprucing up your profile a bit so we know more about you? Did you lose your log from CR? Tom