For the First Time Since Starting running...... (Read 711 times)

I feel like I am truly dedicated to the sport I have chosen for life. I ran at 6:00AM this morning with my DH, at it was 22 degrees with a wind chill of 9 degrees Shocked Although this is probably " Nothin" for most of you runners in the northern parts of the world, here in NC, that is a mighty chilly morning! I could have easily wimped out, and stayed in the comforts of my warm bed, with my warm Golden Retriever sleeping happily next to me, but instead dressed in my cold gear, ( thanks Figbash and all those others who gave excellent advice in that department) and we ran a 5K. Did okay time ( 33 minutes) and felt awesome. Now as I am continuing to warm back up, sitting here drinking my cup of coffee, warm by the fire, I can hardly believe that I have only been running since last September, and feel so addicted to the sport. What a great start to the day. Hope everyone has great runs today~ Cheffy

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Just Be

Wow, great job! You started in September of 2007 or 2006?
        2007...... right after Labor day......

Just Be

Nice. Smile That's about when I started again... well, the 1st week of September. Now that you know you're truly dedicated, keep it up! Smile
          celiacChris

3Days4Cure

Congrats Cheffy! You have more courage than I--I'm sticking to the tradmilll except when the night is very beautiful.

Chris
            PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

Sounds like you got to the addiction phase faster than most, nicely done Cheffy. I was on weather.com just before reading your post, and was moaning to myself about the forecast for tomorrow afternoon's run at around 4pm. Current Boston forecast is for a windchill of four degrees, but if you can do it with your nice thin NC blood I really don't have any excuse. As long as the footing is fairly safe, I'll be lacing 'em up for an invigorating run.

E.J.
              Greater Lowell Road Runners
              Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

undue monkey

...it was 22 degrees with a wind chill of 9 degrees...
                Really makes you feel alive, doesn't it? Those are good memories to pack away for when you're toeing the line in Spring/Summer.
                Teresadfp

One day at a time

Good going, Cheffy! That's neat you ran with your husband. I hope it warms up for you soon. I think I'm going to wimp out tomorrow morning. The forecast at 8 am is for 1 degree with a windchill of -14 degrees. I think I would try it if there were no wind! Oh, well, that's why I keep my Y membership even though I despise treadmills. I have to keep up with the 1000k pace bunny! Teresa
                    Really makes you feel alive, doesn't it? Those are good memories to pack away for when you're toeing the line in Spring/Summer.
                    Certainly does! You know the funny thing is that I feel like i run BETTER in the freezing cold than I do when it's just " Perfect" running weather. Maybe it's because I want to get back into the warmth....lol Hubby and I have been running together from the beginning. It has made a HUGE difference in the training. We have had our share of the newbie blues, but at least we are continuing to improve and motivate eachother to get stronger and make running a forever thing. Having a strong sense of community like we have found here makes the journey that much sweeter.... Smile

undue monkey

Getting out the door at least 4-5 times a week for the first month or so is really key (I'm in the midst of that now.) Having a partner(s) can really help. Faliling that, having some online accountability works too.
                      Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Awesome run! One of the things I like (perhaps "like" is a strong word) about running in harsh conditions is that it makes me feel like a hardcore athlete, even if my race times don't show me as such.

Another Passion

WTG Cheffy! Way to get out there and "Just Do It"! My DW and I have done our runs together the last two days in fairly brutal conditions as well. Keep up the good work! Wink

Rick
                          "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                          "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                          runningforcassy.blogspot.com

run4fun8910

hats off to you Cheffy and everyone else. It really is an addictive sport. I have been running now for just 5 weeks roughly. I only run 3 days a week right now and on the days I do not run I have withdrawls. Not in a million years did I think I would run outside in this cold weather. My original plan was to run outside on the good days and then run inside on the cold/wet days. So far I have not ran inside yet. This includes running in snow storms, single digit temperatures and many nights with children induced sleep deprivation. What I have realized through this is that the cold weather is quickly becoming one of my favorite times to run. Sure beats the 90's or 100's. Again I tip my hat to all of you runners out there who get up with me in the cold, early morning hours or whatever time of day you get to sneak it in. Shawn
                            Short term goal: 5K Long term goal: half marathon. Stay injury free. Shawn