Help a newby set a 10K goal time (Read 664 times)

Hi everyone.  I just finished a 5K last weekend and took 3 mins off my PR. 

Just so we all understand.  I only started to be smart about running recently and have seen more improvement in the last few months than ever before.  I have been building what I consider my base fitness for 3 months and will continue to build this base.  My actual goal race is next years 30K Around the Bay so I am using these shorter races to keep the enthusiasm flowing until then.

My time this weekend was 27:00.  I usually run easy 4 days a week at around 6:00 to 6:10/KM.  My long(er) run on the weekend right now is about 9.5K but plan on ramping that up to at least 15 (hopefully 20) before the race. 

The last time I ran a 10K was 5 years ago.  I wasn't smart about the training and ended up injured hence the 4 years lay off.  My time was 54:30.  I would love to beat this time.  But having done so well in the 5 I want to make sure that I set a goal that will challenge me but not so challenging that it won't happen.

I was thinking of shooting for 53:00 or less. 

Any input?

My sport's your sport's punishment

2012 goals

100 Km month         150 K month      200K month

5K run    10K run     20K run              30K run

sub 30 min 5K         sub 55min 10K

If you ran 27 mins for a 5k then 53 mins for a 10k is likely to be rather challenging - assuming you were running as well as you could for the shorter race. You're running at a faster pace for twice the distance.

The normal race predictors would say 27 min 5k is work about 56 min 10k. 

when is your 10k?

if 27:00 was a full effort then your current 10k time is probably 1 hour. 

In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion

http://htwins.net/scale2/scale2.swf?bordercolor=white&fb_source=message

I agree with above that you can probably run a 56:00-60:00 min 10k right now but you are looking for a goal time to shoot for rather than how you should pace a 10k this weekend if I'm reading you right.

I would recommend trying to shoot for a <55:00 time.  It will be challenging but will be within the realm of possibility given a couple months of training.

The race is the end of September which give me about 5 months of training.  I know it's a long time and I may sign up for another 5 between now and then to keep things interesting.  It is a nice flat point to point course. 

Like I mentioned it's all about trying to pick something that I can accomplish in the time I have but it still requires me to but the time in on the road.

I figure I would run about 59 mins if I went out this weekend.

2012 goals

I don't think you can say with any certainty what you ought to run 5 months from now. You are too new of a runner and improving too quickly.

That said, if you continue doing what you are doing now, making steady progress, I see no reason you can't run under 50 minutes in 5 months. Smile

(Especially if you get that weight down!)

Yeah the weight is an issue.

There hasn't been a lot of loss in pounds but my body fat has dropped almost 10%.  You don't want to know what it was trust me.  the pounds will start to drop I'm sure.

So for now I will shoot for a sub 55 min and re evaluate in a couple of months.

2012 goals

To heck with 55:00. Set your goal to break 54:30 and beat your PR. If you keep building your base and improving something around 53:00 - 54:00 should be doable.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:48:09; HM 1:43:26; 10K 43:59; 5K 21:27

Everybody always thinks that the way they did it must be the best way because, well, that's the way they did it.  So...here's my recommendation because that's the way I did it. Smile

During my first year, I ran about six races of various distances.  I had no time goals for any of them, because I had no idea what I could do.  I saw the purpose of the races as being to find out what my time at 5K, 5M, 10K, 13.1M would be.  I was just happy and amazed that I was doing these races.  It seems backwards to me to fit yourself into a time constraint before the fact.  Even now, I try to avoid that.  I want to just run my best, and afterward see where it got me.

Well at least someone here is making relevance to the subject.