Recovery Time - long runs (Read 1404 times)

DoppleBock

I did not look at your log - But this 

In my opinion, you're running your long runs way too fast. If your tempo run is 10:53 at 57 minutes duration, your 12 mile long run should certainly not be at a 10:53 pace.

I bet that's why you're taking 3 days to recover. It seems you almost raced your long run instead of actually taking it easy.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Why is it sideways?

I don't think so. The guy has run a half marathon at 8:50 pace. 

The easy advice is always to "slow down" -- the correct answer is usually more complex.

Beware, batbear...

Thanks for all the advice.  The take away is NSAID's = No.  Aspirin, maybe but sparingly.  I should be running more weekly miles to support a run that long, but don't build them too fast.  May be running the long run too fast.  

Gotcha.  

Most of this is coming out of a summer where I was just running for fun fitness, not racing fitness, and I wasn't logging runs at all.  I was probably doing 20-25 miles most weeks this summer.  I'm just now starting to pick up the pace a little bit.  

2014 Goal -- Run 5X per week, pain-free (relatively) by end of summer.

I don't think so. The guy has run a half marathon at 8:50 pace. 

The easy advice is always to "slow down" -- the correct answer is usually more complex.

Of note looking at his log, this was 2 years ago, and 15 pounds lighter.  I know there is a a lot on this site on HR monitoring, which is a whole other topic.   I do think there is some benefit here for either HR monitoring or perceived effort.   I agree with everyone else here that it seemed too long for his current fitness, mainly based on the effort of 10/10 for the run, and the prolonged recovery.

I am once again "on" in a history of on again off again running.  This time, I am slowly increasing the mileage, but my long runs are slow, at low perceived effort.  

2018 Goals:

Get Lucky Half  1:47:59

Grandmas Marathon

Fall Marathon - Twin Cities??