New Orleans running ideas? (Read 1178 times)

Best Present Ever

<big sigh>  I wanted to run a local-ish 20 mile race on 10/10 as a good predictor/training run for my late November marathon, but now it looks like I'm going to have to be in New Orleans that weekend instead.  I really can't imagine two worse places to do back-to-back marathon training long runs out-of-town than Miami, where I'll be the first weekend on October, followed by New Orleans. 

Ok, with the complaint out of the way,  does anyone have any ideas where a person staying at the Sheraton New Orleans would run 15 or so miles?   or any commiseration for a runner who hates heat/humidity? at least both cities are flat, right?

born on the bayou

As your local Big Easy resident, I can, with 100% confidence, assure you that there are No Hills in this fine city!  But G'damn, it might be hot and muggy.  Here, October is one of those months were the weather will either be gorgeous or ass-hot.

If you're staying at the Sheraton and you'd like too see a bit of uptown, I'd run up Canal Street (away from the river) to St. Charles Ave, take a left, and stay on St. Charles.  Once you pass Lee Circle, you can run on the street car tracks as far uptown as you need, then turn around and head back.  I work not far from the Sheraton and run this route often, especially during Mardi Gras when I can't drive.

Another option is similar, but turning left on Magazine instead of St. Charles and running uptown that route.  You could even run up Magazine and back down St. Charles, if you really want the tour!

- Amanda
      lap

What about Monkey Hill?

As your local Big Easy resident, I can, with 100% confidence, assure you that there are No Hills in this fine city!  

What about Monkey Hill?

Funny. I immediately thought of that from my stint in New Orleans years ago. Artificial hill in the zoo to show what a hill looks like and the highest elevation point in the city.

Uptown St. Charles and Magazine is what I'd recommend also.

born on the bayou

What about Monkey Hill?

The bar on Magazine Street?  Well, I'd say "heck yeah" for post-run beers. 

- Amanda
            galberras

fear the Col Sanders

How funny.  I was going to post a similar question like this.

I am also on my way to New Orleans (for the first time) the end-o-October and am looking at potential running routes.  Are the ones listed on mapmyrun.com going to be okay?

http://www.mapmyrun.com/find-run/united-states/la/new+orleans

I will be staying by the Superdome... hmm, the Homewood Suites on Poydras. 

I can't wait.  I love cajun food.

Just because I look dumb doesn't mean I'm not...

lap

How funny.  I was going to post a similar question like this.

I am also on my way to New Orleans (for the first time) the end-o-October and am looking at potential running routes.  Are the ones listed on mapmyrun.com going to be okay?

http://www.mapmyrun.com/find-run/united-states/la/new+orleans

I will be staying by the Superdome... hmm, the Homewood Suites on Poydras. 

I can't wait.  I love cajun food.

Given where you are staying you could run down Poydras toward the river, turn right (uptown) on St. Charles, then follow the suggestions of Young Slushie.

Imminent Catastrophe

Check out the St Charles streetcar route. And bring water.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

galberras

fear the Col Sanders

So are these streetcars still in operation?  Or are these retired streetcar tracks?

Just wonderin' if I need to worry about getting turned into roadkill...

Thanks for the information.

Just because I look dumb doesn't mean I'm not...

xor

If you are standing on the street corner and you see one of those stereotypical New Orleans funerals coming your way:

1. Look for the movie cameras.  By an agreement which has been in place since 1926, any movie containing scenes in NOLA is required to have one of those jazz funeral things.

-or-

2. Run away very fast, lest they knock you on the head and scoop you up in the casket, a la Live and Let Die.

lap

So are these streetcars still in operation?  Or are these retired streetcar tracks?

They are live, and under the law, the streetcars have the right of way.  So get out of their way when they ring the bells at you.   You also need to pay attention to cars turning across the streetcar tracks, but if you leave the iPod at home and pay attention you should be fine.

Jeff2

The streetcars still run, but they are slow and you can see (and hear) them coming.  Maybe skip the earphones, though.

Imminent Catastrophe

The streetcars still run, but they are slow and you can see (and hear) them coming.  Maybe skip the earphones, though.

And check out all the Mardi Gras beads on the overhead wires.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

born on the bayou

I run on the streetcar tracks with my iPod - I just keep one earbud in my ear and tuck the other in my shirt.  If you run on the on-coming tracks, you'll see the streetcar coming with PLENTY of time.  Like Jeff2 said, they are really slow, and they will ring their bell at you (even if you are out of the way -  I think they just love doing that.)
                              - Amanda

Best Present Ever

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll not go out of my way to find monkey hill, since I am familiar with the concept of 'hill' (and monkeys, for that matter) and will look out for the street cars.  I had one of the best trips of my life to New Orleans, many many years ago.  It involved a waitress named Natalie.  Oh my.  I haven't been back since.  I suspect that this trip will be a little tamer.