mileage increase: too much? (Read 691 times)

Slow-smooth-fast

Hi there everyone, just a little advice please. My weeks run starts on a Monday, and I have been averaging about 43 miles/per week. The thing is I am already up to 32 miles this week, and I still have today, Fri, Sat and Sun left in the week. I am trying to up my miles, and I am fully aware of the 10% rule, but as I am doing all my runs easy is it ok to go over this as I feel great. I was thinking of a short 5 mile tonight, and take Sun off, and planned to do 10miles tommorrow and 10 on Sat. This will take me to 57 miles. Do you think this is ok, or should I take more rest? I really want to be doing no more than 60mpw. Will all these extra miles really benefit me?

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Scout7

The 10% Rule isn't really a rule, it's a best guess. I've met people who completely ignore it, and routinely do 15-20% increases with no issue whatsoever. Of course, I've met people who can't do more than 5% without serious risk of injury. The point here is that we are individuals, and we all respond differently to training load increases. Regarding whether or not all the miles will help, let's put it this way: elite runners usually run upwards of 90-100 miles per week. I think that volume definitely has a part to play in performance. As to what you should do....Listen to your body. If you start to feel overly fatigued all the time, decrease the training. If you feel pains that won't go away, lower the miles, take a day off.

If you feel really good, then it probably won't hurt. How long has it been since you had a cut back week? This might be an ideal time to get a high mileage week in to let your body know what is coming, and then use next week as a cut back week to give yourself adequate recovery before building up again.

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Eddy - didn't you just come back from an injury? You may want to look at what led to that and factor that in.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Slow-smooth-fast

i have come back from an injury but wasnt due to overtraining. I fell and hit my knee on a rock, so Im ok now.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Just keep the intensity consistent while raising the miles or maybe even lower the intensity a bit. It's never good to raise intensity and mileage at the same time. If you feel alright raising your mileage the way you are then keep doing it but if you start to feel sluggish and tired then back off a little. Forget the 10% rule and just go by how you feel.