Snacks you might keep in hotel for the night before the marathon (Read 318 times)

Don't know how much nutrition had anything to do with it, but I took 13:05 off my Chicago time.  I hadn't eaten before the Chicago Marathon, and this time I had a half cup of oatmeal and 2 pop tarts.

I wanted to pick up the pace faster in the last few miles, but kept starting to get calf cramps each time I tried.  Next marathon I'll take some pickle juice with me.  Also, I wonder if calf sleeves would have helped.  I did wear them in Chicago, but not in this more recent marathon.

Don't know how much nutrition had anything to do with it, but I took 13:05 off my Chicago time.  I hadn't eaten before the Chicago Marathon, and this time I had a half cup of oatmeal and 2 pop tarts.

I wanted to pick up the pace faster in the last few miles, but kept starting to get calf cramps each time I tried.  Next marathon I'll take some pickle juice with me.  Also, I wonder if calf sleeves would have helped.  I did wear them in Chicago, but not in this more recent marathon.

Conclusion: 1 Pop Tart = 6:30 marathon time improvement. I will give the extra 0:05 to the oatmeal. Science!

Dave

Sjpcollins

A packet of rice, you can microwave does me. But if there is no microwave then a pot of cold but cooked pasta. Good pre-race, night time snacks i say Smile
        LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Conclusion: 1 Pop Tart = 6:30 marathon time improvement. I will give the extra 0:05 to the oatmeal. Science!

I think I'll eat four Pop Tarts next time!

Docket_Rocket

Confess!  You chose poptarts because of this thread.

PS, great job on the race!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Confess!  You chose poptarts because of this thread.

PS, great job on the race!

Actually I only ever tried pop tarts because of their mention in in the original Aussie Carbo Load article.  I had never had them before.

Mysecondnewname

Dumb question Re: PopTarts:  Aren't they called PopTarts because you are supposed to stick them in the toaster? (I never have)

Does anyone actually toast their pop tarts or do you eat them raw?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

You know they are not raw, don't you?

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Compared to toasted with butter they are.

steph  

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Dumb question Re: PopTarts:  Aren't they called PopTarts because you are supposed to stick them in the toaster? (I never have)

Sometimes I toast the chocolate ones and dunk them in milk. Mmmmm. But otherwise I usually eat them "raw"

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

That's totally why they are called pop tarts. So many foods taste so much better when heated, and pop tarts can use such help.

More interestingly, I think there were demonstrations of how if your toaster fails to pop when loaded with pop tarts, you may have flames shooting five feet up out of the toaster. Sounds like fun.

(Also fun, that's twice that autocorrect has tried to make then into poo tarts.)

Kalsarikännit

You know they are not raw, don't you?

Crap. I've been juicing them.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

LRB

No different than anything else, there is no wrong way to eat a pop tart, just your way.

MTA: Having said that I should probably buy a toaster.