Split toenail (Read 4652 times)

Never had a problem with the big toe, but lost a few smaller toenails.  Sometimes you just have to rip those fuckers off.  When they are lose it feels like someone is jabbing your foot with needles.  Hemostats come in handy for this.  Just clamp it on, count to three and pull as hard as you can.  It will hurt worse for a day or two and then you'll wonder what all the fuss is about.  Just putting a bandaid over the raw area afterward worked for me for the couple days it hurt.

Sometimes you just have to rip those fuckers off. 

+1.  It only takes a few days to a week for them to be ripe enough to be pulled out.  Relief is almost immediate.

zonykel

Although it would be easy to recommend bigger size shoes and a wider toe box, you also have to make sure the shoe doesn't slide when you run. I've found that to be a problem when getting bigger shoes.

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Yep.  That is why i had 1/2 size smaller.  bottom line is i gotta patch things and suck it up on race day.  Just trying to minimize damage and keeping band aids on toes or feet is challenging.

Although it would be easy to recommend bigger size shoes and a wider toe box, you also have to make sure the shoe doesn't slide when you run. I've found that to be a problem when getting bigger shoes.

• Black Canyon 100k
          • RRR
          • Zane Grey 100k
          • High Lonesome 100
          • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
          • The Bear 100
          • Javelina Jundred (?)

Google "big toe gel cap" -- you might find one at your local pharmacy or you can buy online (if you're willing to wait for delivery).

Add some vaseline to the inside of the cap and slide it on your toe.  All should be good, though it feels a bit strange at first and takes a few runs to get used to it.

PRs5K 19:41 (5/2017)  10K  45:27 (1/2017)  10m  1:10:41 (4/2017)   13.1  1:36:00 (6/2017)  26.2  3:31:58 (10/2017)

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Podiatrist got one off easily and half of another.

Gel Toe cap seems to work pretty well.

Thanks

• Black Canyon 100k
              • RRR
              • Zane Grey 100k
              • High Lonesome 100
              • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
              • The Bear 100
              • Javelina Jundred (?)