Sunflower seed spread? (Read 1190 times)

Rookie Runner

Never heard of it.  Just picked up my packet for tomorrow's 5K, and voila, there's sunflower seed spread in it.  Anyone ever try it?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Is it ground sunflower seeds, or oil?  I love sunflower seeds...I'll bet that's kinda tasty.  That sounds like something that would be good on a Wheat Thin cracker.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

xor

Dunno.  I picked up my packet for tomorrow's marathon in Utah... voila here too!  First time.  It feels very squeezy.

Best Present Ever

it's like peanut butter but with sunflower seeds, isn't it? 

xor

it's like peanut butter but with sunflower seeds, isn't it? 

My packet feels a lot more squeezy than peanut butter. 

HOWEVER.  Packet pickup for this race was outside and it is 80.  Maybe it isn't so squeezy all the time.

The fact that it is called "Sunflower seed SPREAD" is a bit worrisome.

Let's check out dem ingrediments:

sunflower seed (singular)

dehydrated cane juice (wait... dehydrated juice?)

salt

natural mixed tocopherols to preserve freshness

Made on equipment that processes soy.  (emphasis their's)

www.sunbutter.com

jeschaefer

It's ground sunflower seeds. It's yummy, I love it. I discovered it when I was looking for a peanut butter substitute when we learned that my baby had a peanut sensitivity, which meant that I couldn't eat peanuts and keep breastfeeding.
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Now I'm gonna have to look for this...so does it taste like sunflower seeds, or does that cane syrup make it sweet?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jpdeaux

Really? I first tried sunflower butter in 1977.

Julia1971

I wasn't a fan.  But, I think I had it straight out of the packet.  Maybe it would have tasted better with something else.  Like on french toast with syrup.

Intentionally Blank

My kids' daycare is a no peanuts/no nuts zone, and they are both vegetarian.  I could buy stock in sunflower seed butter.  I avoid the kind with cane juice (read:sugar) in it.

xor

So, real question.  Dehydrated cane juice... um, that would be specifically sugar, no?  I thought that wording was especially goofy.

My package states in tiny letters that it contains NO peanuts.  yay for that.

Intentionally Blank

Dehydrated cane juice.  How Orwellian.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Look for dehydrated water at your local running store.

quagga

Sugar is made with several extra refining steps compared to dehydrated cane juice. One step can be clarification using bone char, which some people object to. Sugar is definitely whiter than dehydrated cane juice, too, so sugar may have comparatively, and marginally, fewer nutrients. I appreciate the manufacturer making that clear.

Half Fanatic #846

Look for dehydrated water at your local running store.

It should be available in either capsule or powdered form,  and  will most likely be found near the the solar powered head lamps...  Joking

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!