Is it a stress fracture if it doesn't hurt at all when I run? (Read 1112 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I've got a persistent, but very mild dull ache in the inside of my right tibia. Similar location as a stress fracture I had in '91. But here's the weird thing -- no pain at all while running. In fact, I notice it most when I'm lying down, which is why I got out of bed to type this. During the run seems to be the only time when I don't notice it. (Maybe I need to run more Tongue ) Although my calf isn't very tight, I find I get relief when I do an extremely deep calf stretch. I'm inclined to think this is purely a soft tissue thing, but my previous SF in the same spot has me spooked. Thoughts?

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

SMART Approach

Probably a shin splint. Stress fx would hurt more as you run more, shin splints the opposite until they get real bad. A lot of calf stretches, ice and dorsiflexion (toe ins) exercise with resistance.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Probably a shin splint. Stress fx would hurt more as you run more, shin splints the opposite until they get real bad. A lot of calf stretches, ice and dorsiflexion (toe ins) exercise with resistance.
        Yeah, that's kind of what I figured (and hoped). I'll try that out and see how it goes. I haven't had a lot of injury problems, but almost all of them see to be on my right side. I've even noticed that I don't seem to strike the ground quite the same with my right as with my left (seem to overpronate more with the right, possibly due to road camber). Maybe I should head over to Fleet Feet and have them check out my running while on a treadmill.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Mishka-old log

Jeff, I've had two stress fractures...same bone (navicular), but in both feet, 4 years apart. Both times, in the early going of the injury, the pain would stop while I was running. I wouldn't feel it until I after running when I'd been sitting awhile, and returned to standing. It would hurt for the first 10-15 steps, then there would be no pain. As the injury worsened, it would take longer into a run for the pain to subside, but it always did. The pain would return immediately when I stopped running. The fact that it always went away at some point when running convinced me that it couldn't be that bad. Both injuries resulted in crutches and boot for 4 months the first time and 2 months the second. Pay careful attention to it, maybe cut back a bit. The fact that you've had on in that spot before is a little unsettling. How did the pain develop and progress the last time?
          jeffdonahue

Hi Jeff, I get a similar pain, actually more of a stiffness in my right calf, during some of my runs. I actually found that doing toe raises or toe taps while sitting at my desk seems to help. I think it is strengthening the muscles there. Also, someone had mentioned that when you are walking do 5-10 steps with toes pointing in and then 5-10 with them pointing out and I find that relieves some of the pain as well. As for sleeping - do you sleep on your stomach? I was getting the pain bad in the morning when I woke up and I actually found that if I slept with my foot hanging off teh bed it helped. I think it has something to do with the foot being fully extended all night when I sleep on my stomach. Best of luck. Jeff
            jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Pay careful attention to it, maybe cut back a bit. The fact that you've had on in that spot before is a little unsettling. How did the pain develop and progress the last time?
              Well, my SF happened back in '91, and to be honest, I don't remember the progression very well. I do remember the pain being a little sharper, and I remember putting about 1200 miles on one pair of shoes (poor college student, saving extra $$$ for beer). Now that I think about it, I had a false alarm sometime around '96 or so. Same location. Bone scan turned up nothing. I hate the idea of cutting back because I'm not doing all that much right now. I restarted running about a year ago after a long layoff. I weighed about 220lb. I'm now about 185. I've ramped up slowly, I rotate my shoes, and haven't exceeded 300 miles on any of them. Of course, doing everything carefully and right has never been a guarantee that something bad won't happen. You know, that there's a sports medicine place that I pass sometimes when I take my daughter to school. From the looks of their website, maybe I should pay them a visit.

The Greatest of All Time

Get it checked out. Better safe then sorry, right?
                all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Get it checked out. Better safe then sorry, right?
                  Who am I to say no to a dude with a sword, eh?

The Greatest of All Time

Who am I to say no to a dude with a sword, eh?
                    Good point. Maybe I should take one into court with me...
                    all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                      I've had a stress fracture Tongue In general, it seems like there's a difference in the pain from your garden variety shin splint. This is just my experience but... I could pin point where the spot was and it hurt like a son-of-gun when I pressed on that point. The shin splints deal feel more broad and non-specific. I got the stress fracture because it kind of numbed out when I ran and I figured I'd push through the pain. Not my best plan. You might want to cut back and give it some rest. An x-ray won't show a break until it starts to heal, but if you want to know right away, an MRI will do the trick. Here's hoping it's not a fracture!!