Wanted: Marathon (Read 1000 times)

Dog-Love

Hi: I know about some of the marathon websites, but I really want to find a cool weather (less than 68 degrees) marathon, with less than 1000 people, that preferably has some trail component, that would be a great "First" Marathon. Would consider Canada as well. Would not consider Antarctica. I guess I am looking for a friendly marathon. Smile I don't need to win. Any suggestions?
    Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
    JakeKnight

Hi: I know about some of the marathon websites, but I really want to find a cool weather (less than 68 degrees) marathon, with less than 1000 people, that preferably has some trail component, that would be a great "First" Marathon. Would consider Canada as well. Would not consider Antarctica. I guess I am looking for a friendly marathon. Smile I don't need to win. Any suggestions?
      How far are you willing to travel? If you don't mind coming way down south - I can't say enough good things about the Rocket City run (Huntsville, Alabama). It is the run that got me back into running - that got me hooked on marathons. Before this marathon, I wasn't a runner. At the end, I was. It was that good. It's listed in a bunch of publications as the friendlest (and best) small marathon. (Although I'm sure Trent's HHFMM will be better!). I really cannot say enough good things about it. So how about the bad things: no scenery. At all. Kind of boring course. Okay, that's all I got. Oh - and it has no trails. All on the roads. Flat roads. But the people were amazing. They treat *every* runner like a winner. Even though it's cheap - really cheap - the goodie bag can't be beat. I not only got a great hat I actually wear, but they also gave out really nice technical Nike shirts. (Compare that to the crappy Hanes undershirt with a bad decal they gave out at the CMM). They had Jack Daniels as their guest speaker last year. All for an entry fee of like $50. The expo is right in the race hotel. As per your request, it's cold. It was 21 degrees at the start last year. Maybe 40 at the end. Around December 10th. The race hotel is 50 yards from the start/finish line. Last year it was right around 1,000 people. Probably as many volunteers as runners. For a small (and cold) race in a little Alabama town, the crowd support was awesome. At around mile 14/15, hundreds of high school kids lined the road. My ears rang for days afterward. Seriously. On a weekend. I'd love to know how they got them there. The best part had to be the finish line: they announce EVERY name over the loudspeaker, and when I crossed not one but two volunteers grabbed me, put a blanket around my shoulders, a medal around my neck, told me I was God's gift to running, and guided me straight to the hot soup. If I didn't know better, I'd have thought I'd won the thing. Check out the reviews. Mine's in there somewhere, echoing the above. Everyone loves this run. I truly wish it had been my first. http://www.marathonguide.com/races/racedetails.cfm?MIDD=558061209

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The Grand Rapids marathon has only about 1700 registered, and I think that is for both the full and half, combined. No off-road component, though. But the race director is a complete riot and is begging each runner to bring a bottle of their favorite beer. There will also be at least one beer station on the course and chili at the end. Expected temps are likely to be below 40ยบ this Sunday. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Here are reviews of the GRM: link

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

There are many to choose from, but one that has cool weather (avg temp about 50-55), about 300 runners, quite a bit of trail, and is very scenic is the Park City Marathon, Park City, Utah. www.pcmarathon.com It is a loop course, starting and ending at the same place. Very friendly group.
            My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I agree, Rocket City is a great and small and cool and hugely well organized marathon, run entirely on flat and slightly rolling roads. It is December 9 this year, and I may run it. The race hotel is full, but the Embassy Suites (opened this month) next door has rooms. Well worth considering. Yes, there is also the world's greatest and among the hardest marathons: the Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey Marathon. This is a hilly marathon with great swag and only about 100 runners in November in Nashville, TN, when it is generally cool out. We have just a few spots left, and will close off registration on Active.com on October 31. The website has a lot of info - http://www.harpethhillsmarathon.com ...and one of the folks running the Monkey lived in AK for many many years. Big grin

Dog-Love

Thanks for the suggestions and keep them coming!!! So far the Utah race is most appealling for the trails, the time of year (Atlanta race is to late in the year for me; although...man does it sound friendly!!!) The Monkey Race sounds like a great 3rd or 4th marathon, but maybe not the first (and it is sold out). We (my gal running buds and I) do not mind traveling (we really want Ireland or Scotland but that probably won't happen). So thanks for the links. Someone also told me about a trail race in Susanville CA that sounds a bit warm. I feel soooo picky but your 1st should be extremely special Wink
                Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

As the race director for the Monkey, I can assure you that there actually are a few spots available. The website is hush hush about this. But I am not.

Dog-Love

Sounds like a great race! I am not even close to being ready for this years, but will definately look at it next year. Nice website! I will look a the spread of the results and see if I even fit into this group. Will look forward toa race report from you!
                    JakeKnight

Sounds like a great race! I am not even close to being ready for this years, but will definately look at it next year. Nice website! I will look a the spread of the results and see if I even fit into this group. Will look forward toa race report from you!
                      If I can do it, you can do it ... ... then again, who said I could do it? I'll get back to you on Nov. 20th. Unless the monkeys get me.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                      -----------------------------

Scout7

Baltimore was pretty cool. But that was just finished. Philly is coming up in NOV. That'll be pretty chilly, and it's all road, and pretty big. If you maybe wanna go longer, there's the Blues Cruise 50K just outside Reading, PA. It's usually first weekend in OCT. That's all trail, and includes some "interesting" stops. Other than that......I got mostly shorter trail runs here.
                          Is Europe an option? Wink Tongue In 2007, the 'Trail des Hautes Fagnes' will probably be a Marathon. Most of the route = trail (and hills) (Pictures http://www.traildeshautesfagnes.be/Int/parcours_boucle1.htm and http://www.traildeshautesfagnes.be/Int/parcours_boucle2.htm), and end of september, weather is rather cool here, with temperature below 20C/68F). (The 'mini-trail'- 16 km/10 miles is my first major goal. I started running only recently, but have quite some mountainhiking experience, so I think I can do this within a year.)

Running in Belgium
                          Ann

Dog-Love

Is Europe an option? Wink Tongue
                            All my friends are looking at the website for the trail race in Belgium and seeing how we can fit that in next year. Wow that would be really fun...and would keep us running all winter here. Thanks for the tip
                              Are you willing to travel to California? The Ave is a marathon in beautiful redwoods, low key, mostly flat and very, very pretty. http://www.theave.org/
                              I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill