Kids Running...Growing Pains...Etc (Read 670 times)

I had pretty severe pain in my achilles and knees around age of 10-12 while playing soccer. The pain would increase during exercise. Twice I had to resort to crutches for a week or so. It was all termed "growing pains." Not sure if this would help, but one of the things that relieved the pain for me was rubber heel cups (the kind you'd buy for $10 or so at Walgreens). I continued to wear them in my cleats until about age 14 when my growth spurt mostly stopped.
    And you know sometimes it gets so painful Just like talking to yourself When everything don't seem to have no rhyme or reason We all go Do do loo do do, do do loo do do Waiting for the sun to shine

Ostrich runner

From what I can tell...he is usually holding around his knees. He has never acted like it was muscle related, but Doctor called them growing pains. Like I said, I don't remember having them so I have no idea what they feel like.
      When I was growing up I often referred to them as cramps, but they really weren't anything like that. More of an intense non-localized ache in my bones. It was often difficult to tell where the pain was coming from, but I knew it was deep--no touch sensitivity at all. Usually a little tylenol and a heating pad helped.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

you nailed it...that is what is says in his own 7 yr old words. He has said before his bones hurt. We do the tyleno alreadyl and we will get a heating pad for him
        2008 GOALS GET BELOW 175 (at 175 now) RUN 6:00 MILE (at 6:29) RUN BELOW 25:30 5K RUN BELOW 55:00 10K RUN A MARATHON (DEC. 6TH - MEMPHIS - ST JUDE)
          OK...I got home from the track at the YMCA. We had a blast...I explained to him on the way there that there was no winning or losing...no right or wrong. Lets just go out and begin to jog however fast he wanted to and see how far we can get and then we could stop and walk or leave whenever he wanted if we didn't make the mile. When we got there he tried wearing the MP-3 player at first but headphones were too big. So we took them off within about 100 meters...so we just talked the rest of the way. About school, about getting out of school for the summer...I kept telling him he was doing great (and he was)...I kept asking if wanted to walk and about a half mile in we did stop and walked for about 50 meters....I could tell the wind when it wasn't at his back was tiring him out which is when we stopped to walk. We began jogging again and spread his arms out into the wind and was jogging and acting like an airplane which suprisingly got him through the rest of the 1 mile course that was in the wind. He coasted the last 1/4 in a jog. We talked the entire time and to be quite honest he suprised the snot out of me when we got done. I timed it (sorry...he has no clue that i timed it and i won't hold him to any standard regarding time...it was a curiosity thing). We ran a 13:24, but most of all we had a BLAST and he wants to run again Saturday afternoon. Thanks everyone...I did not mean to come across too overbearing and pushy with my kid...I was just trying to be honest about something we are trying to correct and when he expressed interest and I 100% did not want this to become another thing to compete at for him, but something he WANTS to do just b/c he WANTS to.
          2008 GOALS GET BELOW 175 (at 175 now) RUN 6:00 MILE (at 6:29) RUN BELOW 25:30 5K RUN BELOW 55:00 10K RUN A MARATHON (DEC. 6TH - MEMPHIS - ST JUDE)
          Teresadfp

One day at a time

Sounds like you did great, Ben! My 10-year-old daughter has started running with me occasionally, and she loves it. We did 5.2 miles on Saturday (she's been building up slowly). She would love to go farther, but I told her that's the max for now. It's always HER decision if she wants to run. She didn't have any interest during the winter, and that was fine. She chatters away the entire time. I've noticed that my easiest, favorite runs are the ones I do with her. I had growing pains all the time as a kid, too. My mom kept taking me to the doctor, but he said there was nothing wrong.

skinnycaponesugar

You could consult with your doctor, just to make sure it is growing pains and nothing else, like Teresa's mom did Smile Especially if there is inflammation.

Love, Run, Sleep