running and crossfit (Read 208 times)

Min0805

Hi, I'm pretty new to running. In fact, i've never really liked running before. However, over the past 2-3 years I've dropped approximately 30 lbs due to a better diet and working out. I've also started CrossFit a few months back and am totally addicted to it - I absolutely love it. I have already started to see results in my body :-). My goals for running (other then to be fit & look great) is to run a 5k and a 10k. Are there any suggestions for training that I can do in addition to CrossFit? Anything I should be aware of? I just completed a 5k, but didnt run the entire thing. I've also came across this app, C25k. Has anyone used this app with success? Thanks so much.

J-L-C

Just running more will help. Maybe you can run a mile or two as a warmup for crossfit on those days, and then try to run a few more extra miles on non-crossfit days?

As with anything, it just takes getting out there and putting in the time to see improvements.

The biggest thing I would worry about:

Crossfit encourages and teaches you to HAMMER your workouts.  You can't hammer every day as a runner, especially as a new runner.  C25K works for a lot of people.

Run a lot.  Mostly easy.  One day a week, run a little faster.  One other day a week, run a little longer.  It doesn't have to be more complicated than that, especially if you're doing CrossFit, too.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
        Emil Zatopek

Welcome to both Crossfit and Running. I've been running for a few years now and started doing Crossfit about a year and a half ago. I love both and have done my best to keep up with both of them. My running has taken a backseat the last few weeks though while the Games Open has been going on. I really believe that Crossfit has helped my running and vice versa.

While you're trying to build up your running, you might try running 4 times a week and doing Crossfit 3 times a week.  If you can double up one day a week, that will leave you one rest day. If not, use an easy run day as "active rest." An easy mile or two can really help loosen you back up after a tough workout and keep you from getting too sore. Like someone else said, remember that you can't go all out on every run. Most runs should be nice and easy, and probably even slower than whatever pace you're already running! Good luck!

Min0805

Thank you for the advice! i will definitely take everything into accout. I already do crossfit 3 x's a week.... so now it's just adding the running. I do like the idea of having an off day... as I sometimes like biking or kayaking as well. So much to do, so little time between work and everything else. Thanks again!

MoBramExam

CrossFit will make you a good CrossFit athlete.  Running will make you a good runner.  To me, CrossFit and 5Ks/10Ks have never appeared to be complementary to each other; i.e., one improves performance in the other.  The principals are different.  If you enjoy both, do both.  Be careful not to overtrain, and enjoy your healthy lifestyle.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

CrossFit will make you a good CrossFit athlete.  Running will make you a good runner.  To me, CrossFit and 5Ks/10Ks have never appeared to be complementary to each other; i.e., one improves performance in the other.  The principals are different.  If you enjoy both, do both.  Be careful not to overtrain, and enjoy your healthy lifestyle.

You qualified this statement by making it personal to you, which I believe is the right thing to do.  This thinking seems to be "conventional wisdom" that I do not understand.  Who would you place your money on:

A) Runner who does running training only

B) Exact same runner, exact same running training + crossfit

I know there are some that will say A...B built too much muscle, or B didn't recover as well,or B overtrained, etc.

I don't do crossfit, but I have been doing a bodyweight workout routine for the past month and I already feel stronger while running.  I also complete the routine better now then when I first tried it a year ago (with 11 months of not doing it).  I have better endurance.

I'm not saying that the best way for elite athletes to maximize their abilities is by adding a bunch of cross training (I know, Africans don't do it), but for most of us mortals I certainly think both activities would compliment each other.

**Ask me about streaking**

Thats a bit of a false dilemma. Many hobby joggers limit their running based on the time they have available. If we could run more or workout more we would. Runner A should be able to run more than B, because they dont have to CF.

If a runner was to maximize his potential, then he would train like an elite. I've never heard about Galen Rupp doing CF.  But he does do plenty of weightlifting.

You qualified this statement by making it personal to you, which I believe is the right thing to do.  This thinking seems to be "conventional wisdom" that I do not understand.  Who would you place your money on:

And we run because we like it
                  Through the broad bright land

Thats a bit of a false dilemma. Many hobby joggers limit their running based on the time they have available. If we could run more or workout more we would. Runner A should be able to run more than B, because they dont have to CF.

If a runner was to maximize his potential, then he would train like an elite. I've never heard about Galen Rupp doing CF.  But he does do plenty of weightlifting.

I agree.

There is a Cross-Fit place about 35-65 seconds from my job.  It would be a dream come true for Cross-fit to work with running (i.e., improve running performance and allow me to run at least 8-10 hours a week). I'd cancel my gym membership in a heartbeat and join Cross-Fit. I am unconvinced.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I would venture that the majority of the people posting on this forum would see improvements in their running if they kept everything the same and added some type of full body workout.  Time constraints are not the only reason why people don't run more...be honest...you don't have a few extra hours each week that you COULD be running?

For me, I have been having issues getting my weekly mileage up over 50mpw without injury.  After 50 mpw should I park it in front of the TV or work in some full body excerise?  I hear over and over again how Crossfit or whatever else isn't going to benefit your running, which I think is misleading.  Worst of all, it is misleading to precisely the group that would stand to benefit the most (beginners).

Just to be clear, I'm not advocating dropping any mileage from a running routine, or reallocating the valuable time that you spend running.  If you have extra time and you want to do CF or whatever, you're going to be better off than the person who doesn't (as long as it is done intelligently).  If you are missing key workouts or not able to handle the miles + the crosstraining than you are doing too much Xtraining.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I specifically excluded this.

I apologize for the thread heist.

I get what you're trying to say, but I don't think it's accurate to say that everyone can train like an elite.

As one coach told me, elites get to train by a different set of rules. They're elites for a reason.  Not only are most of them faster than mere mortals when they're out of shape, they can handle more volume and quality than most,and they recovery faster than most.  If someone like me tried to train like that, I'd be injured or sick or both nearly all the time.

MoBramExam

Jamezilla, betting we agree on more than we disagree, but I will respond to your question for discussion sake.

I did not say not to cross train.  I typically lift 3-5x a week and do other forms stability, strengthing, and stretching movements 5x a week(have to if I want to keep this 51 year old carcass on the road).  Perhaps the question should be:

(A) 5K/10K Runner who cross trains with a program that complements running, or (B) Runner who does CrossFit?  I choose (A).

Perhaps a running specific WOD designed by an experienced running coach could help, but the general guy at the local CrossFit area code will have you hammering anerobic movement after anerobic movement until you are sweating blood.  Upper-body strength for 5K/10K running = good.  Upper-body muscle = not so much.

The OP recently lost 30#, just started running, had to walk some of their first 5K, and wanted to do a 10K.  Developing fast-twitch muscles at this point is not going to complement the development of their endurance to extend their running at their current fitness level.  IMO, the OP has taken a positive step in their lifestyle, they just need to be careful not to "pile on" at this point.  It is fine to do CrossFit and run, just be careful not to overtrain.  However, speaking as a runner, I believe there are better ways to cross-train than CrossFit.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I agree with that