Invisible Fences for dogs (Read 865 times)

xor

Apparently my vet is training her office cat to the invisible fencing.  The cat wears some type of vest that shocks him into compliance.  I was speechless when I found out that cats can be trained to the system.  It is still unbelievable in my opinion.

Cats are weird.  And some are very very trainable.  I suspect these are the cats we dub as "oh, he thinks he's a dog".  Many cats aren't... though more are than we think - it just takes a lot more work (and different work) than dogs.

ANYWAY.

I live in a city apartment building... the kind with a big lobby and city sidewalks outside.  No pet area, and no street access from individual apartments.  So, over the last couple years, I have met many many dogs and their owners going in/out.

And, as of about two months ago, one cat.  Who goes outside. Off leash.

Yeah.  There's a dude with a cat.  He brings the cat down to the lobby.  The cat just sort of stands there.  Dude opens the two secure doors (I call this area 'the airlock'), and the cat walks outside.  Never wanders far.  Just seems to dig outside-ness.  And doesn't get skittish around dogs or cars.  No darting up trees, across the street or whatever.  SO FAR, the dog owners are puzzled by the offleash cat and keep the WHAT THE HELL IS THAT??? dogs far away.

One of the weirdest things I've seen here.  Sooner or later, a curious puppy is going to get close to the cat.  Dunno what will happen.

(I realize 'offleash cat' is a silly term because a leashed cat would be super silly.  I suppose this isn't different from the old days when people would let their cats roam free at night.  I just NEVER see this in the city. And the cat doesn't go anywhere.  Just kind of sits outside until it is time to come back in.)

Feeling the growl again

Apparently my vet is training her office cat to the invisible fencing.  The cat wears some type of vest that shocks him into compliance.  I was speechless when I found out that cats can be trained to the system.  It is still unbelievable in my opinion.

This has all sorts of possibilities....especially if it also comes with a remote control like a dog's upland bird collar.  I'd say that I'd use it to train cats not to go up on people's counters and other places cats should not go.  But, really, I'd probably get a few beers into me and have fun messing with the cat.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

npaden

This has all sorts of possibilities....especially if it also comes with a remote control like a dog's upland bird collar.  I'd say that I'd use it to train cats not to go up on people's counters and other places cats should not go.  But, really, I'd probably get a few beers into me and have fun messing with the cat.

I'm not aware of a collar that works with the fence and as a remotely triggered collar at the same time.  I have to remove the fence collar and then put on the remote training collar.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Cats are weird.  And some are very very trainable.  I suspect these are the cats we dub as "oh, he thinks he's a dog".  Many cats aren't... though more are than we think - it just takes a lot more work (and different work) than dogs.

ANYWAY.

I once trained two of our cats to roll over for a treat.  Trained one of them to use the people potty, too.  Our current cat couldn't care less about treats, so training isn't happening.  Motivation is the key.  This has little to do with OP.

xor

Invisible fencing.

I once had a cat who used an invisible litter box.  Undecided

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Invisible fencing.

I once had a cat who used an invisible litter box.  Undecided

Yeah, or an imaginary litter box.

xor

You say po-tay-to

I say pee in the corner, oh.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Roberto -> Potato : Robert -> Potat?

Taking this much too far.

'bye

Feeling the growl again

I'm not aware of a collar that works with the fence and as a remotely triggered collar at the same time.  I have to remove the fence collar and then put on the remote training collar.

I know, I have both too.  Sorry, I just felt the need to find humor in a vest that would potentially let you zap a cat at will.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

#artbydmcbride

Angry

Runners run

My cat is trained to ignore everything I tell it to do. He is very good at it.

Why is it sideways?

Invisible Fences for dogs

Invisible Fences for cats

Invisible Fences for beetles

Invisible Fences for bluebirds

Invisible Fences for dreamers

Invisible Fences for politicians

Invisible Fences for demons

Invisible Fences for lovers

Invisible Fences for wanderers

Invisible Fences for neighbors

Invisible Fences for women

Invisible Fences for mexicans

Invisible Fences for tulips

Invisible Fences for sadness

Invisible Fences for childhood

Invisible Fences for astronauts

Invisible Fences for memory

Invisible Fences for joy

Invisible Fences for Invisible Fences for Invisible for Fences for Invi for Fe for I

Feeling the growl again

Angry

No worries, Ilene.  I don't make a business out of hurting kitties.  The last cat I dealt with was trying to get into my engine compartment to keep warm, I walked it through the neighborhood until I found its owner.  Wink

Prince of Fatness

Jeff you forgot the invisible fences for hippies. Heh.

Not at it at all. 

Why is it sideways?

ha ha yeah pardon the hippie moment