Oh, this breaks my heart... (Read 1195 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

This is right near us. That poor little girl. Just imagining my son in that same situation makes me so sad. Sad k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

OMG Cry Cry What that poor little girl has gone through!! Definetly shows why we need to teach our children about 911 and when to call.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I know...gosh, I think my son knows how to do that, but we don't encourage him to use the phone, other than when we are already talking and we hand it to him for a few minutes. Sad k

~ Sarah Kay

Now that was a bath...

I could cry a whole ocean for that child. How desperately sad. Sad
        • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
        • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.

Now that was a bath...

As a side note my children (Jake 7 and Scarlett 3) recently did a course called Amazing Me which was about keeping themsleves safe and ran through what to do in an emergency. We also have fun day fire drils where we practice escaping from different rooms in the house and meeting at the mail box. Amelie (16 months) has rung the poilce twice already this month (the number is 111 here which is too easy) and despite interrogation she can give us no apparent reason Tongue. They billed us for the calls and once rang me back to tell me off. Claire xxx
          • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
          • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
              Amelie (16 months) has rung the poilce twice already this month (the number is 111 here which is too easy) and despite interrogation she can give us no apparent reason Tongue. They billed us for the calls and once rang me back to tell me off. Claire xxx
              Haha. When my brother was about 7 years old he called 911 from a payphone cause he didn't think it would go through without money. He was too young to understand that it is free from a pay phone (you know, for emergency purposes and all). The funny part is he was AT a police station for a Cub Scout thing, so they saw that they were getting a call from one of their own phones! On a not funny note, that poor poor girl. Isn't bacterial menengitis contageous?
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

On a not funny note, that poor poor girl. Isn't bacterial menengitis contageous?
                I think viral is the contagious one. A friend of mine's little girl contracted bacterial meningitis as a newborn from powdered formula (interesting that food for an infant can be toxic--the liquid formulas are sterile, but the powdered ones are not--one more reason breastmilk is best). She nearly died and now has serious brain damage and is disabled, has issues with hydrocephaly, and has shunts in her head. k

~ Sarah Kay

I think viral is the contagious one. A friend of mine's little girl contracted bacterial meningitis as a newborn from powdered formula (interesting that food for an infant can be toxic--the liquid formulas are sterile, but the powdered ones are not--one more reason breastmilk is best). She nearly died and now has serious brain damage and is disabled, has issues with hydrocephaly, and has shunts in her head. k
                  WOW. That is so sad. And scary. I cannot even bear to think about all the horrific things you have to worry about as a parent.
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

All infectious (i.e., bacterial, viral) meningitis is contagious. Bacterial meningitis is the one you hear about in the news. That is because it takes you from well to dead in a few hours. There are several different bacteria strains that cause bacterial meningitis. Only one is that scary, it is called Neisseria meningitides (creative name, eh). N. Meningitides is the one that is so dangerous and is the one that kills quickly. There is now a vaccine for that, it is recommended for ALL kids going to college and folks joining the military. The other bacterial strains that cause bacterial meningitis include Streptococcus Pneumonia, which is a normal bacteria that is out in the world and is on probably 50% of us at any given time; this also causes ear infections, sinusitis, bronchitis and pneumonia. Another is Streptococcus agalactiae, which is the Group B strep that women are tested for during pregnancy. Group B strep causes meningitis in newborns in the first 72 hours of life and, for reasons that are unclear, about three weeks after birth when born to women having this bacteria. A fourth bacteria that can cause bacterial meningitis is Listeria monocytogenes, which can cause meningitis in infants and adults, but this is less common. Viral meningitis is not uncommon, but in most folks it is not too serious. It causes a headache most of the time, comes on over several hours to days, and can last a week or three. Rarely it causes real problems. You can also get meningitis from parasites, tuberculosis, fungi and cancers, but these are very very rare unless you have a weak immune system or have been travelling to visit Claire.
                    from powdered formula
                    While this seems odd to me, it is possible. The causative organism would most likely be the Listeria I spoke about. Again, Listeria can also cause disease in adults. I cannot possibly imagine how they could figure this out, and it would have been worth millions in the settlement with the formula (or the water) company. Far more likely would be the Strep Pneumoniae or Strep Agalactiae, depending on the child's age. And these organisms would not have been spread via formula or water. I'd be curious to hear more details. Yes. Breastfeeding is best when possible. The more the better. Period. But breastfed babies still can get sick from diseases.
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Horrifying stuff, Trent. Does this mean that someone who is prone to sinus infections is more likely to be at risk for meningitis...wondering because I am on year-round allergy meds (Allegra) to help head-off sinus infections. Anyhow, Google brings up quite a few results re: the risks of meningitis and powdered formula: search results I'm really surpirsed that this is not made more public. I think a lot more moms would choose liquid formulas if they knew about this. I know my friend would have. l

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Does this mean that someone who is prone to sinus infections is more likely to be at risk for meningitis.
                        No. In kids, untreated serious ear infections can go into meningitis, but sinus infections do in only very extreme circumstances. In the case from this story it sounds like the mother may have had an ear infection. Most (i.e., 99.999% I'd guess) of ear infections DO NOT do this. Most ear infections get better with no treatment at all.
                        Anyhow, Google brings up quite a few results re: the risks of meningitis and powdered formula
                        Ahhh. Yes. Enterobacter sakazakii. Pardon me. That is a fairly rare one indeed. Is that what your friend's daughter had? That is about like getting struck by lightning I believe. Bad stuff, but quite uncommon. Breastfeeding...
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ahhh. Yes. Enterobacter sakazakii. Pardon me. That is a fairly rare one indeed. Is that what your friend's daughter had? That is about like getting struck by lightning I believe. Bad stuff, but quite uncommon. Breastfeeding...
                          Yup. It's a bacteria that I likely would have never heard of had her little girl not been afflicted. It was so touch and go for a while. She's doing so much better, now--better than any of her doctors ever expected, but she will be forever damaged by that. Even though my son wouldn't latch (not long ago we had his frenum repaired--that probably had a lot to do with his refusal/inability to nurse) I exclusively pumped for that entire first year. I always had planned to breastfeed and I'm more stubborn than my son. So it's very hard for me to understand the justifications for formula if a mother can avoid it. My son has never been on antibiotics and only once has run a fever, and he just turned 6. Chances are he would have still had an amazing immune system, even if he'd been a formula baby, but I'm certain a year of breastmilk had something to do with his fantastic health. My hubby and I were also breastfed babies--back when it wasn't a particularly common thing. The truly sad thing is that my friend had planned to breastfeed and was only using the formula as a supplement. She has an amazing amount of guilt because of this. She very much feels that she was at fault in her little girl's illness. It's so sad. Even tough the risk of a child becoming ill from powdered formula is slim, there should still be more publicity about the possibility. My friend says that had she any clue that liquid formula would have been safer there is no way she would have bought the powdered form. I'd bet most parents wouldn't. k Edited to repair tipsy-typing... Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

oh man, that is sad. Cry I think I'm too out there on the fringe to enter too deeply into this conversation though, LOL. Trent, are you a Dr.? I'm guessing you are but maybe I missed something.

Jennifer mm#1231

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yeah, sorry. It is a failing of mine. Wink
                              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Trent, I forget what type of doc you are...GP? I'd recommend you to anyone--especially if they are sports-minded. Smile k

~ Sarah Kay