Sore top foot/front lower shin (Read 778 times)

ud32

Ran long today and tonight the very bottom of my right shin/lower leg where it mets my foot is really sore. Not sure why - more hilss than I usually run but nothing crazy.  I did recently switch shoes about 2 weeks ago. Is it possible that maybe I just tied the show on my right foot a little too tight ??

I am experiencing the same thing. It is right where the tongue of my shoe meets my foot / shin.

I also recently switched shoes.

--

Nashville, TN

Try tying your laces a little looser see if that helps.  Also, maybe try running in the old shoes and see if it goes away?  If it is a new brand/model you may need to find something different.  Are you running a new route or has the terrain changed (e.g. snow/mud)?  Has your mileage changed significantly? 

tenacity

I wonder if you're experiencing this thing they're calling DCIMS. I think it's what's happened to me running on the forefoot. Just strained it a couple weeks ago, and really hurting now.

Try tying your laces a little looser see if that helps.

+1.  I've gotten this when I tied 'em too tight -- I think the dorsiflexion muscles/tendons run right under there, and the pressure of the laces may be aggravating them.

I've also noticed shoes have tongues of widely varying thicknesses.  As a guy who chronically over-tightens his laces, I've actually resorted to adhering a patch of thick moleskin on the lace-side of the tongue, to increase the padding there and reduce "lace bite".

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

ud32

Thanks for the tips. I ided it about 3 x last night and advil too. 50% better by this morning and 90% gone by tonight. Thinking maybe it was the laces. My heel slips in a lot of shoes (or at least I think it does) so I tend to tie tighter. I had Mizuno Wave Inspire and just switched to Wave Rider.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Thanks for the tips. I ided it about 3 x last night and advil too. 50% better by this morning and 90% gone by tonight. Thinking maybe it was the laces. My heel slips in a lot of shoes (or at least I think it does) so I tend to tie tighter. I had Mizuno Wave Inspire and just switched to Wave Rider.

Maybe the 10 mile race had something to do with it as well?  Did the symptoms appear before or after the race?