Downhill Skiing logging issues (Read 63 times)

npaden

Eric,

It's not a big deal, but when I upload my GPX file for my downhill skiing activities, running ahead adds in the mileage for the period that I had the workout paused.

i.e. I pause the workout while I'm on the lift and then start up again when I get to the top and start down.

This greatly distorts the mileage and pace of the workout.

It isn't ever a factor when I'm running because if I pause the activity during a run I always start back up at the same spot.

I've uploaded a couple days of activity but then deleted them when it almost doubled the mileage due to the paused portion of the activity.

Is there a way to easily fix this or just I just skip uploading those types of files?

Again, not a big deal at all, just curious.

Thanks, Nathan

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

TripleBock

You might be the only one that wants to get your average pace of skiing?  Can I ask why?  I find that the slower I ski the harder I am working.  It takes very little effort to bomb the run or make a few sweeping turns, but when I am aggressively turning - torquing into each one - lifting off the ground as I change direction I am working hard, but going slow.

Eric,

It's not a big deal, but when I upload my GPX file for my downhill skiing activities, running ahead adds in the mileage for the period that I had the workout paused.

i.e. I pause the workout while I'm on the lift and then start up again when I get to the top and start down.

This greatly distorts the mileage and pace of the workout.

It isn't ever a factor when I'm running because if I pause the activity during a run I always start back up at the same spot.

I've uploaded a couple days of activity but then deleted them when it almost doubled the mileage due to the paused portion of the activity.

Is there a way to easily fix this or just I just skip uploading those types of files?

Again, not a big deal at all, just curious.

Thanks, Nathan

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

npaden

I just want it to actually match up with reality.  Wink  I logged 32.5 miles but when I imported it, it showed 56 miles or something like that.  Duration was correct based on the paused portions so it showed an average pace that was way too fast.

I think it is neat to see how fast I can bomb a run though!  Fastest mile logged was a 2:20 pace or 26 mph.

I had 2 miles logged per Runkeeper that were over 10:00 pace.  One of those was a mogul filled black on the afternoon of the last day and the other was a run that I had to ditch my skis and wade through 3'+ snow to pick up my helmet cam that had fallen off on the lift in an out of bounds area and then ski down and pick up my wife's ski pole that had fallen off on the run before.  Both of those took considerable effort.

To really calculate effort all I would really need to do is log the time actually spent skiing, but what's the fun in that?

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

TripleBock

I am not really a numbers person - But I get it.  Our hill is @ 700 vertical feet, but 400 are on the top 30% of the hill and there is a mid-run chair lift at the point where the steepness stops.  We can get off the lift - start the stop watch and stop it when we are back in line.  It takes @ 25 seconds if you make no real turns.

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

npaden

We spend Christmas at Crested Butte, Colorado.  Not the biggest or the best by any means, but a fun place and usually has predictable snow for that time of year.  104" YTD snowfall when we left.

Just went and looked at my log.  The main mountain has right at 2,000' of elevation, but you can do one run that has 2,200' and is a little over 2.2 miles long.

My favorite run is a groomed black that drops 2,000' and is 1.7 miles long.  If I run it fast it takes me right around 4 minutes, but usually I stop and take a break or two and it takes me closer to 6 minutes.

eric :)

Hi npaden,

RA currently doesn't have the concept of pausing the workout.  The GPS devices did not support pausing and thus I never added support for it.  The latest generation of Garmins does indicate pausing and resuming so this is certainly possible.  I would like to add it during this coming year.  In the meantime, you can change the distance and duration of the workout as you see fit.

eric Smile

Biking Bad

finnegan begin again

Nathan, Does your device have the capability of a self actuated lap feature? If so, just hit the lap button at the bottom of the run and before beginning the next run. You can then label each interval (rest, recovery or intervals) and sum the type you prefer.

"... the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value..."  Thomas Paine Dec 23, 1776 The Crisis 

Adversity is the first path to truth. Lord Byron

"No one plans to fail…..they fail to plan" Skinny Pete

npaden

I can't do a lap feature, just the pause option.

The active intervals show up when I go to import them, but the mileage calculator adds the mileage between where I paused and then resumed the activity.  If you add up the mileage of the interval sets it would be significantly short of the mileage total shown when I import the activity.

I could over-ride the mileage in the total to match up with my runkeeper app though.

It really is kind of a pain to log it though, messing with pausing and resuming it pulling my glove on and off, etc.  I am tempted to just quit messing with it in the future.