Tri + HM (Read 1126 times)

Hi all, Next Saturday, I'm planning to run a sprint triathlon. It will be my second, the first one was three or four years ago. There is also a marathon and half marathon the next day and I'm contemplating running the HM. Did anyone have a similar experience? Any opinions on whether I should attempt the HM the next day? If I do, I thought I'd register for the HM Saturday night after I completed the Tri. Just to make sure I still have legs Wink My options are: a) not running it b) running it as a training run c) going all out (maybe a PB!) d) b or c depending how I feel on Sunday morning. - R
      I've found that sprint tri's don't ruin me for the next day. In fact, on the 2 weekends I've done doubles (a tri on Sat and another on Sunday), I've done extremely well in the run portions of the 2nd tri. I PR'ed in my 10K, in fact! (It was the bike portion of the 2nd tri's where I notice I wasn't 100%.) If you want to do both, just be a complete couch potato the rest of the day after your sprint tri. I choose option d. Of course, people will think you're crazy if you do both. (You don't need to tell them that it's not as hard as it sounds.)
      AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I like (d) as well -- probably will run the tri fine.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

The Greatest of All Time

Sprints are too short to do any real damage. You should be fine.
          all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
            And please report back! We will be curious to hear how it turned out.
              Thanks for the advice! I'll try d and let you know. And if people think I'm crazy, the better Wink - R
              AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

PS - consider the Swim Bike Run group http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Tri/Forum

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Had a great time at the triathlon! However once I was finished and in the car, I noticed that my left ankle was bleeding and my right small toe was hurting a bit. After removing my sock I noticed the toe was dark blue and swollen. The pain got worse with time and I was limping. I iced it once at home and it felt better. This morning the pain was still there and I was in no state of running a HM. Too bad, I didn't feel my legs were tired from yesterday. The toe has been doing better already. I hope I'll be back to running very soon. Otherwise, I'll have a swimming week. The weird thing is that I have no clue how I cut my left ankle and bruised my right toe! My only guess is either at the start of the swim or getting out of the swim. In either case, I cycled and ran the rest without noticing it ?!?!? Must have been the endorphins. Big grin - R
                    oh geez! That's funny, but too bad you had to skip the HM.