Funny knee feeling (Read 150 times)

Holmest

Hi I'm pretty new to running but making steady progress, I've started to run more constantly and at a faster pace and I've started to get a funny feeling in my knees it's almost like a feeling as a result if the impact on the road,  I've recently lost a lot of weight so I'm pretty sure it's not that contributing to it and I also have insoles in my trainers to take some of  the impact from the road.

im just wondering whether anyone has any suggestions about what this could be or what I could do to stop any injuries etc.

any help or advice would be great

T

DoppleBock

Can you be more specific.  I get a funny feeling from drinking 6 beers in a hour.  I get a funny feeling when I ride a roller coaster.  My knee however "Hurts" or is "Tight" and it happens in a specific spot "Outside", "Inside", "Under knee cap".  I can think of 3 very common running knee issues that are completely different and depend on where pain is felt.

Hi I'm pretty new to running but making steady progress, I've started to run more constantly and at a faster pace and I've started to get a funny feeling in my knees it's almost like a feeling as a result if the impact on the road,  I've recently lost a lot of weight so I'm pretty sure it's not that contributing to it and I also have insoles in my trainers to take some of  the impact from the road.

im just wondering whether anyone has any suggestions about what this could be or what I could do to stop any injuries etc.

any help or advice would be great

T

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Holmest

Sorry I'm not very good at examining things, it's feels like it's in the joint it's not a pain just more an uncomfortable feeling when I put weight on each Leg.  I don't feel when I'm running only after when I'm waking, I'm just concerned about it turning in to something more serious.

as DB mentioned its pretty near impossible to even begin to diagnose what the issue is.  dont know how long youve been running, how much, how often, pace, etc etc.  if its just a discomfort & not painful then keep going.  it may be just a natural part of your body adapting to new stresses.  newbee runners, long time runners, elites,  joggers, etc.  we all go through different adaptation periods. discomfort in different areas of the body is a natural progression. you mentioned that you are running more consistently & faster pace.  each one of those (faster, more) is adding more stress.  our bodies are amazing machines but adding more miles AND faster pace is difficult to do.  I would suggest for right now to focus more on the miles/time on your feet & slow down your pace.  improvement in pace will come naturally.  also try to mix in some runs on softer surfaces if possible.   There are times when your body needs abit of a break, this may be one of those times.  tone it down a notch  for the next week or 2.   I think you will be fine.

and great job of sticking with it & being more consistent!

I also have insoles in my trainers to take some of  the impact from the road.

What led you to put insoles in your shoes, and what kind of insoles are they?  They could be causing instability in your footstrike and lead to pain elsewhere, such as the knee.  If you need cushioning, it is best to get it from the shoes, rather than insoles off the rack at Walgreens.

fellrnr has a page on knee pain.  See Section 1.1:  too much cushioning causes higher knee loading force.

http://fellrnr.com/wiki/Knee_Pain

Holmest

Hi thanks the advice is really helpful, on answer to your question the insoles were for really bad ankle pain and i bought them on the advice of my GP I've had them for years, I will have a look at the info and keep an eye on it, thanks again.

Go shoes shopping at the nearest local running store and have someone there evaluate your running form on a treadmill -- without your insoles.  Maybe you don't need them anymore due to your weight loss Smile

gilbertholdings

hi, i'd ease of for a week or two and see what happens.  you don't want to mess up your knee's especially if you're new to running.  and if you're new, you won't lose a lot of progress because you're just starting out.  personally, i just go for safe versus sorry.  happy running