Product reviews area (Read 991 times)

Giant Flaming Dork

Would it be a good idea to add a place to review products?

I know it can be done in the gears and wears area, but it feels too commercial and corporate to put them in there for some reason. Maybe it's just me.

Anyway...  Thoughts?

http://xkcd.com/621/

I actually think this is a pretty good idea. And it would be easy to implement if it were a straight forward sub forum. However, it would be nice to see the reviews for one product all in one spot. I would say something like the this.

I actually think this is a pretty good idea. And it would be easy to implement if it were a straight forward sub forum. However, it would be nice to see the reviews for one product all in one spot. I would say something like the this.

Love, love, love that site for backpacking gear reviews.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Julia1971

I like the idea generally.  I'm pretty skeptical about reviews I read online and would put much more weight on an RAers opinions.  But, it seems like it could be a lot of work for Eric to make it a separate area for them - especially each category of running gear considering there are people on RA who do ultras, triathalons and trail runs.  I wonder if a low-tech solution might be for people to post them and put "Product Review" and a brief description of what they're reviewing in the subject heading.  Something like "Product Review: Garmin 110 (GPS)" and people could post their opinons in the same thread.  (Or, maybe do the opposite - make the subject "Product Reviews: GPS" and let everyone who wants to post a review/opinion of a GPS running devices put it in that thread.)
          keeponrunning

I really like Julia's idea.  Would probably be the most practical.  I also agree that I trust RAers opinion over other random sites.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

I like the idea generally.  I'm pretty skeptical about reviews I read online and would put much more weight on an RAers opinions.  But, it seems like it could be a lot of work for Eric to make it a separate area for them - especially each category of running gear considering there are people on RA who do ultras, triathalons and trail runs.  I wonder if a low-tech solution might be for people to post them and put "Product Review" and a brief description of what they're reviewing in the subject heading.  Something like "Product Review: Garmin 110 (GPS)" and people could post their opinons in the same thread.  (Or, maybe do the opposite - make the subject "Product Reviews: GPS" and let everyone who wants to post a review/opinion of a GPS running devices put it in that thread.)

This is why I was suggesting a subforum. This would be very easy to implement. In fact, it could be implemented in a few minutes depending on the forum code Eric is using.

Julia1971

This is why I was suggesting a subforum. This would be very easy to implement. In fact, it could be implemented in a few minutes depending on the forum code Eric is using.

Fair enough - it could be very quick and easy to implement a subforum.  And, perhaps that's all you really meant in your OP - put all the product reviews into a subforum and call it a day.  But, you also linked to a website with links to about 80 categories of product reviews (granted, many of them have no content) that are organized by brand/maker of that product.  I thought that kind of detail would take a lot of work given all the activities (running, biking, swimming, weight lifting) RAers engage in.  But again, I probably misunderstood your OP and you really just meant dumping them all in one place.

(I do wonder why there aren't subforums already though.  Seems like the Racing forum would be a good candidate for them.)

Fair enough - it could be very quick and easy to implement a subforum.  And, perhaps that's all you really meant in your OP - put all the product reviews into a subforum and call it a day.  But, you also linked to a website with links to about 80 categories of product reviews (granted, many of them have no content) that are organized by brand/maker of that product.  I thought that kind of detail would take a lot of work given all the activities (running, biking, swimming, weight lifting) RAers engage in.  But again, I probably misunderstood your OP and you really just meant dumping them all in one place.

(I do wonder why there aren't subforums already though.  Seems like the Racing forum would be a good candidate for them.)

I was saying two things in my original post. I said it would be easy to create a subforum, but it would be really cool to have a site like what I linked to. I was making two different suggestions.

I was saying two things in my original post. I said it would be easy to create a subforum, but it would be really cool to have a site like what I linked to. I was making two different suggestions.

I think both can be fairly well accomplished with an RA group. Some of the most successful, "sub-forums" on RA are groups. Not only can you organize the posts however you like, but the group can be autonomous about admins and the home page can be modified to resemble the backpack gear review format.

I'm pretty sure the forum code is Eric's own, so it's not for me to say how easy or hard it would be to implement sub-forums.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Prince of Fatness

If a group is created maybe a thread (stickied and locked) could be created in the Gears forum that refers to the group.

Not at it at all. 

eric :)

I have plans to add this, but it won't be for a while.  Until I add it, I could add a new forum if there is demand for it.

Giant Flaming Dork

I have plans to add this, but it won't be for a while.  Until I add it, I could add a new forum if there is demand for it.

Well, no one said "Go ahead and put it in Gears and Wears!", so it sounds like it needs a new forum.  Obviously it's up to you where you put it!  

http://xkcd.com/621/

Just found a perfect system for doing this. Here