Ads are ready to launch (Read 1717 times)

eric :)

Hi everyone,

I am overwhelmed by the outpouring of support and well wishes.  Thank you so much!

Many of the pages are retrofitted with ads and they're ready to go.  Before I turn them on, please DO NOT click on the ads just so I can get paid!  I know you have good intentions, but it'll have the opposite effect.  I am using Google Adsense and if Google detects too many of these clicks, I will be banned and won't get paid at all.  Please respond only to ads that interest you.  Thank you!

eric Smile

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have had a hankering for something from The Body Shop...hmmm.... Wink

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Well if they are ads that have to do with anything running related I think they will be a big hit.  I can see adds from runningwarehouse and roadrunnersports as being very impactful. 

Good luck with getting everything set up and running eric. 

2014 Goals: (Yeah I suck)

• Sub 22  5K
        • Sub 1:35 1/2 marathon 
        • Sub 3:25:00 Marathon

I look my best blurry!

Well if they are ads that have to do with anything running related I think they will be a big hit.  I can see adds from runningwarehouse and roadrunnersports as being very impactful. 

Good luck with getting everything set up and running eric. 

+1 My personal sponsor(dreamless sleep) might not be happy about this.  If I spot a good deal it it might be hard to resist!

I don't know how many people there are out there like me, but I use firefox with a little extension called Adblock plus.  It suppresses all adds on a page so I never see them.  If you go up to the little stop sign in the upper right corner of the screen and click there is an option to "disable on runningahead.com".....might be a good idea for all of our favorite website here.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

The Google is pretty amazing.  Talk about targeted ads, how the heck do they know exactly what morans like me need?  I just can't seem to find the "add to cart" link...

E.J.
              Greater Lowell Road Runners
              Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

ERIC -- Let the add fly..

AND -- is there some algorythem you can put on RA -- so we can CLICK right up to the point of MAXIMUM INCOME for you and yet not get you cut off??

Maybe you could place it and at the end of each month if your a little behind we could have a click fest...and on months where you are ahead we can follow the monitor and not do any clickingat all......

Just a thought if you could place some type of notice -- CLICK FOR ERIC  -or- NO CLICKING UNITL X Date........

Champions are made when no one is watching

jeffdonahue

AND -- is there some algorythem you can put on RA -- so we can CLICK right up to the point of MAXIMUM INCOME for you and yet not get you cut off??

Maybe you could place it and at the end of each month if your a little behind we could have a click fest...and on months where you are ahead we can follow the monitor and not do any clickingat all......

Just a thought if you could place some type of notice -- CLICK FOR ERIC  -or- NO CLICKING UNITL X Date........

This might violoate Google's contract and may get him kicked off.

What I would like to know in regards to this is what the break-even click point would be.  To subscribe and have NO ads, Eric is only charging a measly $10 (and way underpricing the service if you ask me) so I would like to know how many clicks over the course of the year would add up to the $10.  I dont mind ads, and would definitely click on them if they interest me, but if Eric is going to make more by me subscribing, then I would subscribe and have no ads.

xhristopher

What I would like to know in regards to this is what the break-even click point would be.  To subscribe and have NO ads, Eric is only charging a measly $10 (and way underpricing the service if you ask me) so I would like to know how many clicks over the course of the year would add up to the $10.  I dont mind ads, and would definitely click on them if they interest me, but if Eric is going to make more by me subscribing, then I would subscribe and have no ads.

I guess a feature request could be to allow subscribed users to turn ads on and off. I just subscribed but am still curious as to what sort of ads will be served up.

To subscribe and have NO ads, Eric is only charging a measly $10 (and way underpricing the service if you ask me)

Agreed.  I know it may be tough for some to swing $10, but if you can do it and enjoy all this site has to offer, do it.  Felt it was about time for me to help out some since I now visit this site several times a day.

Seanv2

I just signed up for the subscription, this site has been so important to my improvement as a runner, I'll do what I can to support it.

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

MrH

I don't run websites with ads and haven't even guessed at any numbers but ... here's my non-expert opinion Smile...

As Adsense clicks for consumer products typically are worth just cents (again just a guess), I would suspect the best revenue streams to come from:

(1) annual subscriptions. Even at $10/year that's a lot of AdSense clicks

(2) advertisers paying to place their banner ads. Knowing the dedicated (OK, obsessive) community here, I would think companies who sell to runners would pay a premium to have their banner ads displayed. Each of these ads may be worth a few $k/month or more, dependent on traffic and implementation. Of course, that requires someone to target potential advertisers and sell them the space.

(3) Sponsorships ... how much would say, Road Runner Sports or EastBay pay to be the preferred shoe/apparel supplier to RunningAhead and offer discounts and promotions to the community (on an opt-in basis)? Again, this requires a 'sales department', but with the community of members here it would be a very exciting audience to the right kind of supplier.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

xor

That is an interesting question, isn't it.

Sorry, but this is a horrible idea and is why every time Eric talks about the ads he says not to click them just for the sake of clicking them.

It's called click fraud, it's very serious, and it will lead to Eric's account getting banned and drying up that stream of income for him.  

One of the reasons I don't do a lot of adsense advertising is because of click fraud and how much money it can cost me as an advertiser with zero benefit from the ad.

So, if something interests you, by all means click through and see what it's about, but don't click just to click.

I've got an upgraded account but turned ads on anyway; they aren't obtrusive enough to bother me and the well-targeted ones could potentially be useful and something I'd want to click on.

Run to Win
                              25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

jeffdonahue

I would also like to throw out another suggestion, more for Eric's sake than anything else.

If you are trying to make this your job now (which is awesome by the way - both the site and the idea of it) might I suggest that for subscriptions, instead of everyone paying $10 up front for a year, that you set up on paypal a subscription where each person that wants to pay then has a certain $$ amount taken out each month.

From your standpoint (if you are anything like me) this would ensure that you have a steady stream of income monthly, instead of having one or two months a year where you get a huge amount of cash and then not much else for the rest of the year.  If you are like me and my wife, that extra cash that you get and subsequently would need to spread out over the year to pay your own bills, could in essence be spent too quickly and you could run out before the year finishes up.  Having the monthly stream of income might be a more logical way to go, but this is more a suggestion and how I would set it up if I were me (but I am pretty conservative in most things and wouldnt trust myself to not spend it too fast).